Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think my DH should be able to walk the bloody dog HE wanted

(13 Posts)
cathkidstonbag Tue 19-Jul-11 11:51:49

so after 10 years of me wanting a dog 6 weeks ago DH agreed but he had to choose the breed. So bang went my plan of getting a little one that didn't need much walking. We compromised on a cocker. He wanted one that would want nice long walks so I said that was fine but I would expect him to occasionally walk it. Asked him to last night while I put DCs to bed. Bear in mind it's a 13 week puppy. So all I can hear for 30 mins is barking and shouting. Come down to find he wouldn't walk her because she wouldn't sit calmly to have her lead put on even when he shouted at her to calm down apparently!!! I put on her lead and walked her myself. But seriously he's a grown man who wanted this dog, he should be able to put a lead on right???

LadyThumb Tue 19-Jul-11 11:58:13

She's excited and jumpy and a PUPPY! Get your own back - get him all worked up for sex, raring to go, then shout at him and tell him NO, not tonight!! That'll teach him.

Ephiny Tue 19-Jul-11 12:03:20

Poor little pup. Has your DH had dogs before? Doesn't he know that shouting will only make her more excited and wound-up? And that she doesn't actually know what 'calm down' means (unless someone teaches her)? And that puppies (like young children) don't have perfect obedience and self-control?

Are you going to puppy classes? Might be useful training for the DH as much as for the pup!

cathkidstonbag Tue 19-Jul-11 12:04:39

Apparently she should be better trained by now (rolls eyes). The thing is she doesn't behave at all for him, he can chase her round the garden trying to get her to drop something and she totally ignores him. And if he gets up to her in the morning she's all growly and grumpy. My fear is he'll make me get rid of her and although she has destroyed my veg patch and weed on my floor umpteen times I adore her smile

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Tue 19-Jul-11 12:08:04

Send him to puppy training with her - it sounds like he needs the training more tbh!

Pudding2be Tue 19-Jul-11 12:09:18

As someone who has a 2yr old springer, tell him 13 weeks is not old enough to know how to sit perfectly before putting a lead on. Mine still gies mad now grin

My oh was a bit wet behind the ears when it came to pups. Maybe get him to take her to puppy classes so they can bond and he can teach her to behave

Hth, good luck

CalamityKate Tue 19-Jul-11 12:11:28

You'll need to take over the walking/training until he can learn NOT to shout at a puppy for doing what puppies do angry

cathkidstonbag Tue 19-Jul-11 12:12:35

We aren't doing puppy classes yet. Still waiting for a place. Neither of us has had a dog since we were kids buti just see her as like a toddler (with muddy paws!). She is doing fabulously IMO but seems to do all these naughty things to him. He got all cross last night saying she obviously sees me as the alpha dog, I did try to explain that's because I feed her, cuddle her, play with her - he does none of that!

CalamityKate Tue 19-Jul-11 12:13:54

He needs to educate himself, particularly if he's banging on about "Alpha" crap.

wildfig Tue 19-Jul-11 13:36:26

13 weeks seems very young for going on lead walks - how long was he planning on walking her for? Her bones are still quite soft and developing at that age. I was told playing around in the garden, with maybe some practice at being on the lead and puppy classes, was enough exercise.

cathkidstonbag Tue 19-Jul-11 13:41:24

I take her on 2 10-15 min walks a day. Is that wrong then? Either a walk round the block or up the hill to school or over to the park. She plays loads in the garden too. Should I not be walking her then???

coccyx Tue 19-Jul-11 13:44:30

he doesn't sound very knowledgeable on dog behaviour!
Have to say I would not have agreed to a breed he wanted , would have to be one all family wanted

ljgibbs Tue 19-Jul-11 13:50:11

The length of those walks are fine, when she's about six months old you can start to increase her length of walk. Although the occasional long walk now and again wouldn't overly damage her bones. But until she's a year old try to keep walks below an hour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now