Talk

Advanced search

Housing Benefit

(204 Posts)
nojustificationneeded Tue 19-Jul-11 01:31:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

madhattershouse Tue 19-Jul-11 01:41:38

This will be a recurring theme..many will fall fowl of the new rules! In my area a 3 bed house has a average of £734 pcm rent..the council now pay just under £700. Most of the houses in the villiage I am in rent at over £850 but the awful estate a few miles away puts the average rent down. Here you could only get a studio flat for under £500. The govt do not care..all they want to do is get the costs down, sod the people at the bottom!!

Empusa Tue 19-Jul-11 01:47:40

It's horrible isn't it.

We were struggling on the previous amount (the local housing allowance in no way matched the prices in our area). No idea how we'd mange to find anywhere on the lower amounts.

I'm sure soon someone will come on and say that;
- poor people can afford to move somewhere cheaper.
- LL's have got away with charging too much and must be made to suffer, by having more excuse not to take on HB tenants.

hmm

Someone else will no doubt tell you that their friend's, sister's, husband's, daughter's, friend gets HB and owns a mansion. With a swimming pool. And a goat.

Much as this is a discussion worth having, I think I shall bow out here.

Either that or play MN bingo with the replies.

QueenStromba Tue 19-Jul-11 01:53:45

On the flip side though why should someone on benefits be able to afford somewhere nicer than people who work? If you make the assumption that how much the rent is is a direct reflection of how good a house is then a place with median rent will be better than half of the properties on the market. People will naturally spend all of the housing benefit so the people in cheaper properties will be people that work. How the hell is that fair?

nojustificationneeded Tue 19-Jul-11 02:07:23

SomethingProfound Tue 19-Jul-11 02:17:08

OP I think your bang on here now I don't claim HB so don't know much about it, but think that it's totally unfair that the amount the council are willing to pay should enable people to live in safe, healthy and decent homes.

Surly there should be a system where they look at the average rents for acceptable properties in the area and then base what the rates for HB should be on that?

nojustificationneeded Tue 19-Jul-11 02:29:03

QueenStromba Tue 19-Jul-11 02:41:06

Why on earth should your old neighbour have the rent on a 1 bed flat paid for by the council? The only person I know under 30 who has lived in a flat on their own had a lot of help buying a place from their family. Why the fuck should she get to live in a 1 bed when I have to share a house with two other people who work? This sort of attitude is the result of Labours bread and circuses policy which is the exact reason why this country is in such a mess.

QueenStromba Tue 19-Jul-11 02:50:20

Oh and in reply to your previous post (sorry your last one just riled me that much that I had to comment straight away), I've just checked the LHA for my area and it's £350 a month more than the rent on the house I'm living in. So I'm living in a house where 3 of us are working and someone on benefits could live in a much nicer place than ours and our place is actually very nice.

nojustificationneeded Tue 19-Jul-11 02:55:25

QueenStromba Tue 19-Jul-11 02:55:48

Oh, and ours is a 4 bed and is actually £100 less than the LHA for a 3 bed.

SomethingProfound Tue 19-Jul-11 02:56:14

Queen while I agree that those who are single and childless should be sharing accommodation, as being able to live in a flat by your self in a luxury not a right, but surly everyone has the right to live in a home that is of a decent standard?

And by lowering the HB rate is this not going to mean that some people are forced to live in homes that are substandard?

QueenStromba Tue 19-Jul-11 03:00:27

Why should your old neighbour be able to afford to live alone when he's on minimum wage? Living in shared accommodation is just one of those things you do in your 20s when you're earning crap money. Bread and circuses.

I live in London, and we pay just shy of £1400 a month, LHA is just shy of £1800 so about 20% more than what we're paying.

nojustificationneeded Tue 19-Jul-11 03:03:23

QueenStromba Tue 19-Jul-11 03:26:47

But SomethingProfound, the point is that there are already people living in this substandard accommodation and they aren't the people who are on benefits (if the landlord couldn't rent the property then he would do it up to a reasonable standard. The money that the councils had been spending on benefit would be better spent on inspecting private rentals to make sure they are of a reasonable standard and taking the slumlords to court over breaches of housing regulations.

QueenStromba Tue 19-Jul-11 03:33:13

You'll probably see a lot more flat shares in the near future then. I'm sure your old neighbour will have friends or colleagues in the same position. It's not too difficult to round up a couple of people and go look at places (that's what I've done a couple of times). That or he'll have to move to a bedsit. Besides if LHA for a 3 bed is £520, surely the rent on a 1 bed can't be more than £350? I've paid that in London on minimum wage with no housing benefit.

nojustificationneeded Tue 19-Jul-11 03:40:44

QueenStromba Tue 19-Jul-11 05:19:05

So the shared rate for 3 people comes out to slightly more than the LHA for a 3 bed. Also you said yourself earlier that your ex neighbour is paying £70 a week which is 20% cheaper than the LHA maximum rate of £86.80 (just like my place). I'm still completely failing to see the problem here. Can you really not see that LHA was far too high?

NacMacFeegle Tue 19-Jul-11 07:10:20

I work, but get HB as I am a low earner.

My HB has been dropped by £20 a week.

The area they use to judge average rents here is huge, and includes several towns. The town I live in is very touristy, rent is at least £500 a month for a 3 bed. One of the other towns in the area has huge problems, vast estates, and rent is more like £300.

IMO this is unfair - the LHA should be based on the town you actually live in.

I'm finding the money, but it is tight, especially when you consider that the childcare part of WTC has dropped by 10%

Essentially, it is costing me money to go to work. My job is now a luxury.

tethersend Tue 19-Jul-11 07:28:11

Queenstromba- why do you assume that earning minimum wage is some sort of rite of passage that only happens in your 20s?

Does anyone know the figures on this by the way? I heard that any money saved by this scheme was to be swallowed up by the cost of rejoicing families...

TheLadyEvenstar Tue 19-Jul-11 07:30:15

local rental prices are ridiculous where I am.

£210 PW for a 2bedroom flat

tethersend Tue 19-Jul-11 07:37:25

That would be rehousing, not rejoicing. Erk.

BooBooGlass Tue 19-Jul-11 07:40:00

Exactly. What exactly do they expect families with such a massive shortfall to do? What if the rent they pay only just covers the landlords mortgage so that it can't actually be lowered? The result will be more people homeless, and what do the council do when you're homeless? Put you in an extortionate B and B where the weekly rent could be double what they refused to pay in the first place. How is that a solution?

TheHumanCatapult Tue 19-Jul-11 07:41:20

the LhA rate here is dropping to 1000 for a 4 bed whic is fecking hilarious becuase a 3 bed here is at least £1000 a month

TheHumanCatapult Tue 19-Jul-11 07:43:08

queen stromba but it is no the tennat pocketing he money it is the LL and a lot of LL will not touch HB.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now