Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

In thinking shit and shite are the same?

(29 Posts)
TiggyD Mon 18-Jul-11 23:15:20

I always thought they were exactly the same but do you think that 'Shite' is a more polite version of shit? If I'm ever invited to a tea party or roller disco with the Queen and I see some shit on the hem of her dress am I supposed to say "Marm, you appear to have some shite on your dress" so I don't offend her? Does fuck/fucke work the same?

whackamole Mon 18-Jul-11 23:16:07

No, but I think fuck/feck do!!

AnyFuleKno Mon 18-Jul-11 23:17:45

Good question. I would say not say shite to the queen though, I would say "you appear to have some feacal matter on your dress your majesty long may you live"

LadyThumb Mon 18-Jul-11 23:20:03

'Shit' is a noun. 'Shite' is an adjective.

BumWiper Mon 18-Jul-11 23:20:28

Shite would be used to describe the sheer shiteness of a situation.
[This party is shite]

Shit would lean towards a faux pas or error.
[Shit I forgot to turn off the iron]

Class dismissed.

bubblesincoffee Mon 18-Jul-11 23:20:55

I've always imagined shite to be slighly more .... um.... smeary than shit. Shit seems more soild.

WhatsWrongWithYou Mon 18-Jul-11 23:22:24

Shite's still A Swear - but it's funnier than shit and marginally less offensive.
You still wouldn't use it at parents' evening/the IL's/royal garden party though.

BumWiper Mon 18-Jul-11 23:23:09

bubbles unless one is experiencing the shits in which it would most definetly not be solid.

You would say to the Queen
"Excuse me Your Majesty there appears to be a small sample of excrement on the lower portion of your garment, shall I summon a minion to remove the offending substance?"

To which the Queen would respond
"Feck me, so there is!"

mayorquimby Mon 18-Jul-11 23:23:42

It is in Ireland. Shite isn't a swear.
Also the fuck vs feck thing, which I think lead to the girl band bewitched being banned from Nickelodeon for saying feck live on air becuase it's not really a big deal over here, although it still wouldn't be advisable to say it on kids tv.

WhatsWrongWithYou Mon 18-Jul-11 23:23:54

Shite can also be a verb - hence the expression 'go and shite.'

Tchootnika Mon 18-Jul-11 23:24:23

'Shite''s definitely ruder.
'Shit''s more like you never meant it - it just slipped out, IYSWIM.
Best not to comment on elderly royals and their emissions - remember what happened to Sara Cox?
Harry'd probably love a bit of scat at tea time, though, I reckon.
Do you plan to pop round there any time soon, Tiggy ?

mayorquimby Mon 18-Jul-11 23:24:26

Oh and stop stealing our swears.

WhoTheHellisDave Mon 18-Jul-11 23:28:57

According to the ASA 'feck' is a 'mild rebuff', see the Wiki page for 'feck':

Debate about the word's level of offensiveness
Magners Irish Cider have received complaints relating to an advert in which a man tells bees to "feck off": members of the public were concerned that young children could be badly influenced by seeing this advert. Magners claimed that the "feck off" mention in the advert was a "mild rebuff" to the bees, rather than an expletive. The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has ruled that the poster is suitable for display.

In a 1998 interview on Nickelodeon, Irish girl group B*Witched landed in hot water when a viewer made a complaint alleging that one of the teenagers had used the phrase "fuck off". Although Nickelodeon maintained that the singer had in fact said "feck off", which they described "a phrase made popular by the Channel 4 sitcom Father Ted," the item was found to be in breach of the ITC Programme Code and the complaint was thus upheld.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feck#Debate_about_the_word.27s_level_of_offensiveness

TiggyD Mon 18-Jul-11 23:28:58

Shit seems natural to me. Shite seems planned. I've never fecked and don't fuck very often either.

Glitterknickaz Mon 18-Jul-11 23:31:30

Shit is more explosive, as in "oh shit!!!"
shite is a bit more resigned and sigh-y "ahhhh shite... .never mind"

AnyFuleKno Mon 18-Jul-11 23:32:01

I think tiggyd if you're ever invited to a roller disco with the queen, you should split the difference and say 'marm you've got kak on you'.

Now which is ruder out f piss or pish?

Tchootnika Mon 18-Jul-11 23:33:23

'Shaite' or 'shoit' though? Surely the latter, whoever's excreting expleting?

ThePosieParker Mon 18-Jul-11 23:35:38

shit/shite

good shit bad shit great shit

only horrid shite

TiggyD Mon 18-Jul-11 23:42:40

You're right Posie. Shit IS quite a positive word when you think about it. It would be virtually a compliment to tell her she's got shit on her.

kaid100 Tue 19-Jul-11 00:08:05

I think I heard that the word shite actually predates the word shit, and the latter is derived from the former.

DontGoCurly Tue 19-Jul-11 00:30:13

Shite rhymes with white. Shit rhymes with tit.

Shite is less offensive I think; a load of shite

Shit is slightly harder; I've had a shit day

TeamEdward Tue 19-Jul-11 00:37:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scottishmummy Tue 19-Jul-11 00:38:37

shite is colloquial and accented.
shit is middle classes being oh my gosh.cant attend pony lesson.^Oh shit^ what will imogen do

Tchootnika Tue 19-Jul-11 00:42:02

Crock of 'shit'?
Bag of 'shit'?

Sound weightless and, well, crap, really.

Knackers/bollocks - neither rude at all, just quite ungainly. Cajones on the other hand...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now