Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone moved changed their child's primary school, and if so was it ok?

(19 Posts)
northernrock Mon 18-Jul-11 20:45:35

My ds did not get allocated a reception place at a local school-he was allocated one on the other side of town (a failing school) so I decided to move house.
I have managed to find a flat and a school place in another area, and the school is nice, but not all that near the flat, which is very close to two other nice primary schools.
When we move we will be first on the wait list for both nearer schools, so it is reasonable to think that at some point a place at one of them would open up for him and I would move him as it would be much easier for him to go to a school so near.
The thing is, he is a bit of a worrier anyway, and due to the fact that we are moving etc, things are a bit disrupted.
If he goes to the further school and then I move him, for example , after a term, I am worried that he will be really confused and will be upset.
On the other hand, if he is going to be at primary school for 6 years, it just makes sense for him to go somewhere really close, and makes it much easier for me to get to work too.
Has anyone had experience of this kind of thing, and if so, was it ok in the end?
Please say it was!

Oakmaiden Mon 18-Jul-11 20:49:23

I have moved my children and they both settled into their new school really happily.

we moved DS1 after not being happy with the original primary. We'd met with them several times to voice our concerns, they did nothing, hence the move.

Very happy that we did so.

But our son is a bit of a worrywart too. To be honest, if your DS is going to worry about school, he's going to worry about school. Not really very much you can do about it but try not to let him pick up on your anxieties, as they will only affirm what he is feeling.

Sorry. Down to your gut instinct. Visit all of them several times and make your decision based on what feels best.

Best of luck with it.

LineRunner Mon 18-Jul-11 20:58:05

Yes, and yes the DC was fine.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Mon 18-Jul-11 20:59:53

Yes. Twice. And they both have autism so I am told it's harder to get them to adjust (I say 'told' because I don't have any without autism so I don't really know how they are!)

Kids adjust far better than adults. they'll be fine.

hiddenhome Mon 18-Jul-11 21:01:13

We moved our ds2 from an 'outstanding' primary school to a 'good' one. Best thing we ever did.

northernrock Mon 18-Jul-11 21:02:31

Thanks all. I suppose what it really is is that he has been going to the same nursery, with his little gang of friends, for years, and I would feel guilty if he went to one school, made new friends and then I moved him essentially for my own convenience.
But then I am feeling guilty and stressed about everything at the mo, so I will really try not to infect him with it!

northernrock Mon 18-Jul-11 21:05:00

I actually initially chose a "good" school over an "outstanding one" because I found the "outstanding" one really cold, so I totally agree that ofsted reports are to be taken with a pinch of salt.
I don't care that much about academic stuff at this point, just want him to feel secure really.

uninspired Mon 18-Jul-11 21:05:02

Yes very adaptable at that age.

fivegomadindorset Mon 18-Jul-11 21:05:27

Yes with DD after a term of reception, she has border line Aspergers do was worried but she settled in like she had always been there.

Kladdkaka Mon 18-Jul-11 21:05:52

Me too. Moved my daughter out of the best school in the area to average one and she was much happier. Best thing we could have done.

But keep an open mind. You might find that you are so happy with his school that you don't want to move him if a place comes up.

PanicMode Mon 18-Jul-11 21:09:23

Yes, and almost moved him again as he won a scholarship to an outstanding prep, but we decided against. It took him a while to settle (moved at beginning of Y1) and we had 'problems' with his behaviour for about half a term, so we didn't want to unsettle him again. It was the right decision for him, to move him from the school that we did, and he barely remembers his old school now.

gruber Mon 18-Jul-11 21:10:52

Yes absolutely, very adaptable at that age. Cared for a child who moved from, as you say, a nursery with all his little friends, to a primary in a different county. Has just completed reception year fine. Very settled there & comPletely understood that moving = new school (didn't move to get the school, it just came as part of the house move.

If it's right for you, do it now.

AnyFucker Mon 18-Jul-11 21:12:49

I moved mine when they were in yr 4 (dd) and reception (ds)

we have never looked back smile

it will be fine if you project a positive attitude

northernrock Mon 18-Jul-11 21:14:49

<practicing positive attitude. Ouch, I think I pulled something> grin

AnyFucker Mon 18-Jul-11 21:16:47

< injects NR with some positivity serum >

northernrock Mon 18-Jul-11 21:20:11

Ooh I had some of this in the 90's smile

begonyabampot Mon 18-Jul-11 21:20:55

Moved mine several times and they have adapted well but I do worry about it. It really depends on the child. We are moving schools again and will probably move a few years again after that. It's actually the biggest worry i have but hope that the kids continue to adapt well as they have done so far.

Pin0t Mon 18-Jul-11 21:25:23

Another Mum saying it was fine. We've moved schools twice - firstly for bullying and then due to a house move. Both the best things we could have done.

IME, the younger they are, the easier they settle.

I have no doubts you're doing the right thing smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now