Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why I sent ds to school today.

(23 Posts)
takethat84 Mon 18-Jul-11 18:55:53

Apparently the class tidied the classroom and watched a film. We could do that just as well at home.

SauvignonBlanche Mon 18-Jul-11 18:56:58

I've offered to led DD take the last couple of days off as they do sod all but she wants to go in!

worraliberty Mon 18-Jul-11 18:57:20

Because it's nice to do the fun things as well as the mundane. They've had a whole year of learning so it's time to unwind.

Part of the excitement of the end of term ! Yabu

GypsyMoth Mon 18-Jul-11 19:00:33

Yabu

Very

ChasingSquirrels Mon 18-Jul-11 19:01:59

she would surely have struggled to tidy the classroom at home?

AbigailS Mon 18-Jul-11 19:04:20

Because by this time of term ordinary work has to be limited. The children are in end of term mode, concentration is very poor and work that that that they can actually produce is limited. I'd love to teach "flat out" literacy and numeracy until end of term, but I acknowledge there is no point, so we play maths games or do phonics word searches.
Also DVDs are fun, but they also count as "multi-media" texts. We watch a DVD, compare it to a written text, write about it, write a new ending, do drama and puppet shows about it, make crosswords about it, etc.

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 18-Jul-11 19:48:20

yabu, it was nice for the children to have a little fun......it's only 3 school days left at DC school.

however it's not so fun for me atm, ds don't cope well with change and he is a nightmare atm sad his routine in school has now be broken

Tortu Mon 18-Jul-11 19:50:58

Yeah, I tried valiantly to actually teach today (three different groups), but ended up cancelling it each time. Thank god for the phone-hacking saga- there is always something useful to discuss with the students at the moment!

Their eyes are just completely glazed from the minute they walk in the door and, to be honest, ours struggle even to concentrate on DVDs. Knackered.

Tomorrow I'll be only doing debates or Drama. No point in attempting anything that involves reading or writing!

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 18-Jul-11 19:54:13

tortu, that sounds fun.

what topics are you planning to get the children to debate.

JellyBeansOnToast Mon 18-Jul-11 19:54:49

YABVU. The whole point of the end of term is to watch DVDs and muck about a bit! Children work pretty hard all year and it's really nice for them to relax with their friends and their teachers. We always hated the teachers who made us work until the very last day. Most of them found a fun game or film that was somehow related to what we'd been studying, some let us choose, some hid in the corner whilst we made paper missiles. Ahhh I miss it grin

madonnawhore Mon 18-Jul-11 19:55:36

Aw don't be a spoil sport! The last day of school before the summer holidays was super fun. Some of my favourite memories of school are the last day of term, when we were all allowed to watch the Princess Bride.

psiloveyou Mon 18-Jul-11 19:57:10

Yabu. Mine did a football tournament in the morning and a talent show in the afternoon.
They loved it.

kaid100 Mon 18-Jul-11 19:57:19

Isn't learning to tidy important too? And who would have done it if the children hadn't? Wouldn't you rather the teacher was planning her next year's lessons than tidying unnecessarily?

ll31 Mon 18-Jul-11 19:58:26

aren't the last few days supposed to be fun. there's nothing wrong with having fun !

lady007pink Mon 18-Jul-11 19:59:52

What? Still at school? My children have had their holidays since Jun 30!

lady007pink Mon 18-Jul-11 20:00:25

Oh I forgot you get shorter Summer holidays in UK.

slartybartfast Mon 18-Jul-11 20:01:08

my year 6 dd class went to play in the reception year grin
just them,
they loved it

MumToTheBoy Mon 18-Jul-11 20:02:30

I let my class play today while I took one child at a time to finish various end of year assessments, including independent writing, reading hf words and phonics. Some children asked to do jobs and others set up a pretend school. So even though technically there was no new learning, they did manage to find ways to apply their skills and knowledge. I have a quiz planned for tomorrow and lots asked for worksheets for their 'school', so that's what we will do tomorrow, as well as finishing the assessments. There is no point teaching a new skill this week as they won't get a chance to apply it.

coastgirl Mon 18-Jul-11 20:03:33

I had three sixth form lessons today and even though I always do a lesson with them, even their concentration span is waning, and they're 17! As a result we didn't work for the full hour as hard as we would normally do, and we had a bit of a laugh at the end of the lesson. If they're struggling, of course primary school children need a bit of fun at the end of term.

Whogivesa Mon 18-Jul-11 20:26:32

FGS. YABU kids need to relax after working hard all year. What does it matter?

PaperBank Mon 18-Jul-11 21:37:11

YABU

goinnowhere Mon 18-Jul-11 21:46:12

Y'see, I always try to keep 'em working until the last minute, and they do hate me for it. I always thought this is what parents would want. This is secondary btw. Am I wrong?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now