Talk

Advanced search

To really really really want to put some sort of poltice thingy on this?

(20 Posts)
thefirstMrsDeVere Mon 18-Jul-11 17:36:19

With every fibre of my being?

OH had what looked like a cyst on his arm for ages. Suddenly gone all horrible Went to the GP and he says its an abcess and gave antibiotics.

Why do I have this craving to apply a poltice? Would it be harmful?

I wont unless its ok. I dont know why I want to. I used to be a veterinary nurse, maybe thats why. Perhaps its from watching too much Little House on the Praire when I was younger.

Anyone know about these things.

<prepared for horrified GPs and nurses etc to come and scream noooooooooooo at me>

motherinferior Mon 18-Jul-11 17:36:53

A bread poultice? (What is a bread poultice, anyway)?

SpecialFriedRice Mon 18-Jul-11 17:39:21

Well from what wikipedia tells me I think YANBU

iwanttoseethezoo Mon 18-Jul-11 17:39:57

depends what sort of poultice - and it might introduce even more infection, no? i would let the ABs do their job.

thefirstMrsDeVere Mon 18-Jul-11 17:41:53

sad really?

I thought they drew out the infection.

thefirstMrsDeVere Mon 18-Jul-11 17:42:34

I keep thinking 'bran mash'

But I dont have any.

OnEdge Mon 18-Jul-11 17:44:27

I'd just put a non adherant dressing on it if anything and leave it. Although there is always magnesium sulphate paste ????

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 18-Jul-11 17:45:29

Oooh a bread poultice. It's calling out to you as you were obviously a witch/wise woman in a previous life.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 18-Jul-11 17:47:10

Can it do any harm? If not then try it. My mum always swears by a soap and something I've forgotten poultice. It's to bring out splinters, I think...

thefirstMrsDeVere Mon 18-Jul-11 17:48:47

soap and sugar for splinters.

thefirstMrsDeVere Mon 18-Jul-11 17:49:41

I dont want 'stuff' all over my soft furnishing though.

Bleugh.

Poor OH. It hurts him though sad

BalloonSlayer Mon 18-Jul-11 17:52:49

Put a hot damp flannel on it.

Or call in at your local Indian restaurant and ask for some of those lovely hot towels.

iklboo Mon 18-Jul-11 17:53:32

I second Magnesium Sulphate paste (swear by the stuff in this house).

ExitPursuedByAGryffin Mon 18-Jul-11 17:55:05

I am a lover of poultices - but of the horse variety. Get thee to a saddlers and purchase some animalintex - can't do any harm surely wink

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 18-Jul-11 17:56:03

That's the one, MrsDeVere. grin

woollyideas Mon 18-Jul-11 17:56:13

I was given a poultice when I had a horribly infected insect bite that didn't go away for months; instead it just grew and grew... I was being treated at a reputable London hospital and when all else failed they prescribed a kaolin poultice which I had to warm up and apply to my leg. It had the desired outcome within about a week, so YANBU. (Although it was a little weird to have a romantic weekend in Paris halfway through the treatment and be walking around with a kaolin poultice and a big lump of gauze strapped to my shin). grin

thefirstMrsDeVere Mon 18-Jul-11 17:56:42

might try the flannel option first.

Bit short on tack shops in east london. grin

gethelp Mon 18-Jul-11 17:57:19

Ooh balloonslayer I am a big fan of the hot flannel approach!

BalloonSlayer Mon 18-Jul-11 17:59:00

Mind you some of our flannels are a bit rank and you might end up with bubonic plague.

thefirstMrsDeVere Mon 18-Jul-11 18:04:10

NOT my flannels shock

boil washed till they disintigrate mine are!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now