Talk

Advanced search

...to believe that builder's tea should be...

(27 Posts)
woollyideas Mon 18-Jul-11 16:32:08

...dark brown, well stewed and sugarless. Someone made me a cuppa today and I asked for 'builder's tea' and she brought me a mug of sweet gnat's piss a weak and milky brew with three sugars. AIBU to think she was totally wrong in her interpretation?

She insists she is right about this, so thought I'd bring it to the MN jury.

brew

edwinbear Mon 18-Jul-11 16:33:52

YABU builders tea should have a tea bag wafted in it's general direction, with half a pint of milk and 4 sugars chucked in it. My family think I am of my rocker on this though.

ledkr Mon 18-Jul-11 16:34:44

Nah,it should be like oxtail soup, i drink mine with the tea bag bobbing about in it grin ugh at "weak and milky brew"

edwinbear Mon 18-Jul-11 16:34:52

'off' my rocker, not of, sorry.

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 18-Jul-11 16:35:52

No, builders definitely have about 3 sugars, they need the energy. It should definitely be well stewed though and thick enough to stand a biscuit up in.

thebeansmum Mon 18-Jul-11 16:36:51

Off your rocker? No way edwin - your description is bang on correct! Huge mug (preferably chipped) boatloads of milk and sugar and light beige in hue. Yuck.

thisisyesterday Mon 18-Jul-11 16:37:06

you are right that it should be strong

you are wrong about the sugar though, builders tea def needs sugar

The tea in the brew mug looks shite, far too strong.

I make a bloody good brew me, I aim for a nice oaky colour

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Mon 18-Jul-11 16:38:51

Builder's tea should be strong enough for the spoon to stand in the middle of the mug unsupported.grin

As she got the 3 sugars right, you have scored 1 each and have both learned something from the other. smile

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Mon 18-Jul-11 16:41:46

Have a Russian Caravan brew Apocalypse, it's oaky and smoky and a perfect afternoon tea.

AgentZigzag Mon 18-Jul-11 16:41:49

Agree it has to be strong with at least 3 or 4 sugars.

It has to be thick enough to leave their biscuit standing in it while they hitch their trousers up Gwen.

DD1 had builders bum last week and I couldn't resist pouring the last drip of my inside watering can down it, unfortunately there was a bit more water left in the can than I thought shock

Sorry DD grin

mrsdonkeybucket Mon 18-Jul-11 16:42:07

Quite agree, builder's tea is strong, and with at least 3 sugars in.

Mandy2003 Mon 18-Jul-11 16:47:52

Dark brown and sweet please!

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 18-Jul-11 16:48:36

For a minute there I thought you had emptied your watering can dregs down a random bloke's bumcrack grin

BalloonSlayer Mon 18-Jul-11 16:49:24

No its should be strong with TWO sugars in.

< gavel >

We have had quite a lot of work done to our house and I think only one out of the seemingly gazillions of different gentlemen tramping in and out didn't have two sugars.

sparkle12mar08 Mon 18-Jul-11 16:55:10

If you can't stand the spoon up in it for all the tannin and sugar, then it's not builders' tea...

2shoes Mon 18-Jul-11 16:55:58

yabu builders don't all drink their tea the same way

Andrewofgg Mon 18-Jul-11 18:44:37

If the spoon falls over it wasn't strong enough.

misty0 Mon 18-Jul-11 18:53:11

My OH is a builder. Black tea - 3 sugars grin

Wigeon Mon 18-Jul-11 18:59:12

I definitely have the right answer having been testing out this question on between one and seven builders in the back garden every day for the last three weeks: a minimum of 2 sugars. More if it's a cold day/ they are going to do lots of heavy work / they fancy it.

Wigeon Mon 18-Jul-11 19:01:06

2shoes - all builders are exactly the same, dontcha know. Except I seem to have the only dancing builders in England (jive - one is an instructor and one is a competitor).

Oh, and all of the builders we've had so far have their tea is white, not black.

mumnotmachine Mon 18-Jul-11 19:02:52

Medium strength- two sugars

cat64 Mon 18-Jul-11 19:10:11

Message withdrawn

LadyOfTheManor Mon 18-Jul-11 19:13:28

I have builders in atm. I make their tea weak-ish, white, 2 sugars...whether they take it that way or not...!

TheRealMBJ Mon 18-Jul-11 19:14:39

Builders is strong with plenty of sugar
Plumbers is strong with one sugar
And Perfect tea is...

Earl Grey with lemon grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now