Talk

Advanced search

to claim on house insurance for something which happened 6 months ago?

(7 Posts)
Aworryingtrend Mon 18-Jul-11 15:59:25

(I am fully prepared to be told I am)

We had a New Years Eve party at home, during which a very drunk moi someone spilled a red cocktail over the lounge carpet. I didn't even think about claiming on the insurance at the time, we had so much going on at the time, I just tried to get the stain out by using various cleaning products. It has lessened but is still clearly visible, but we have lived with it the last few months as we have been so busy with other things.

We are now ready to decorate the living room and would like (but will be a struggle to afford) a new carpet.

WIBU to claim on the house insurance now, even though the drink was spilled 6 months ago?

AMumInScotland Mon 18-Jul-11 16:17:10

Are you sure your insurance even covers it? Many don't cover accidental damage unless you've paid for it as an extra. Even if there is, you'll have to pay the excess, and there's a risk of them putting your premium up.

Wecanfixit Mon 18-Jul-11 16:18:18

You could see if your policy is covered for accicdental damage if so this should cover it, but dont tell them it was 6 months ago say it was recently , good luck.

Aworryingtrend Mon 18-Jul-11 16:20:29

We do pay for accidental damage, we have always paid extra for this but this would be the first time we had claimed.

if you have accidental cover then use it.....if you havent then you wont be able to claim anyway. Just tell them it has only just happened...they will prob send someone round to access and see if it can be cleaned off....the surveyor will probably realise it is an old stain anyway!

Good luck!

YellowDinosaur Mon 18-Jul-11 16:31:55

Dh dropped his phoone down the loo about 6 months ago but it has only in the last month stopepdworking. After sending it back to be repaired (still under guarantee) they declined as it had obvious water damage. So we claimed it under our accidental damages cover and they paid immediately with no issue at all.

I'd probably be inclined to say it happened about a month ago and that you have been trying variousways to clean it before making the claim though

FabbyChic Mon 18-Jul-11 16:33:27

Claim but remember there is an excess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now