Talk

Advanced search

to think that you can't watch this and still want to buy eggs?

(229 Posts)
Tollund Mon 18-Jul-11 14:39:17

Just to follow on from my epic veggie thread last week - it got me thinking and doing a bit more research and I stumbled across this .

It made me sob, I mean it's really upset me. I've stopped buying eggs from the supermarket about 6 months ago and just get free range from the farmer's market now, but having seen this I think I can only get them from a woman up the road who has a some of chickens and sells anything she has left over. I'd really like to keep chickens myself but we don't have the space at the moment unfortunately.

AIBU to think that you can't not rethink what you do after seeing that?

hiddenhome Mon 18-Jul-11 14:42:40

Being veggie is all very well, but we really all should be vegan too because dairy cattle are very cruelly treated as well sad

I tried being vegan once, but it made me very ill after only a couple of weeks.

I keep three hens and we have lots of eggs.

GypsyMoth Mon 18-Jul-11 14:43:20

I can't look if it involves cruelty

brownleatherbrogues Mon 18-Jul-11 14:44:21

i love eggs smile

not much will stop me buying them

DogsBestFriend Mon 18-Jul-11 14:46:03

I won't watch it, but I can say YANBU anyway. sad I know all too well what goes on, which is why I don't eat any form of animal produce.

I'll have a guess that the word "dispatch" is used about male chicks, it usually is.

No, you sick bastard, you mean KILLED. You KILL the male chicks, you don't "dispatch" them.

GypsyMoth Mon 18-Jul-11 14:46:19

And what about products which contain egg? How would you know where those eggs are from?

MrsBethel Mon 18-Jul-11 14:46:39

Blimey.

GingerWrath Mon 18-Jul-11 14:46:40

TBF, the male chicks aren't just gassed and binned.

I used to work somewhere that had barn owls as part of the job, they were fed on these defrosted male chicks.

I should imagine that most Birds of Prey centres/sanctuaries and zoos are grateful to be able to buy food for their animals.

Tollund Mon 18-Jul-11 14:47:27

Brownleather watch that and see...

hidden I was vegan for a while, but I do all the shopping and I was still buying milk and cheese for everyone else in the house and I got to feeling like my being vegan was not serving any purpose, IYSWIM. I still only really use soya milk and don't eat much cheese, but last week's thread and just seeing that film is making me reassess what I should be doing...

GypsyMoth Mon 18-Jul-11 14:47:33

I can't even THINK about animal cruelty. But stupidly, can't boycott the foods. Wish I could

ArtyJennie Mon 18-Jul-11 14:49:51

OMG that is awful. Made me want to cry

SpecialFriedRice Mon 18-Jul-11 14:50:31

I stopped buying eggs because of finding out what happens to them. I still buy them though for DD as they are good for protein and other nutrients which is important as we are veggie. And I'm not confident enough to cut them out. I know if I need more protein as I start craving steaks and stuff, I dont get that with DD. So I do my best and buy organic free range, but that doesnt change what happens to chicks.

I also don't buy cows milk but not even close to being vegan as I still buy cheese, fromage frais/yogs and cream and eat products with eggs and milk in them.

Maybe in 5 years I'll be totally vegan.

chandellina Mon 18-Jul-11 14:50:47

well, it is a food INDUSTRY. and consumers want cheap food.
many if not most practices in food involving animals is distasteful. but we have limited options, since it's not practicable to raise your own livestock, make your own gelatine, etc.
that story is sad but it won't put me off my organic free range eggs.

Tollund Mon 18-Jul-11 14:53:06

ILoveTIFFANY - honestly, watch the clip and you might be able to boycott.

GingerWrath Mon 18-Jul-11 14:53:17

So what should we feed rescued/captive Birds of Prey/Snakes/Lizards etc, should we make them turn vegan too?hmm

BabyDubsEverywhere Mon 18-Jul-11 14:53:30

My snake eats defrosted chicks too, there is a need for them.
Really no one would ever eat animals/products if they thought about it properly, but they are ingrained into our society so its hard as thats the default really.

Riveninside Mon 18-Jul-11 14:53:35

We keep hens abd have a small 14 foot by 30 foot inner city garden

DogsBestFriend Mon 18-Jul-11 14:54:28

Tollund, my teenagers are life-long vegetarians and I'd been veggie for several years prior to having them. My decision to become vegan was made after I had the DC so I continued feeding them a vegetarian diet...

... except for the fact that I no longer buy eggs (I "forgot" for a couple of weeks, since then the DC have forgotten all about them wink ), I use soya milk in all manner of dishes, made a great vegan mushroom stroganoff recently, and the DC didn't notice, I make their pizzas with vegan cheese (the only thing the stuff's good for admittedly!)....

It's amazing how much vegan food my DC eat without even noticing it!

Illegitimate Mon 18-Jul-11 14:55:20

I watched it and will still buy eggs. i buy local eggs so i know how the chickens are treated.

I really am curious as to what you thought happened to the male chicks though.

GingerWrath Mon 18-Jul-11 14:56:15

BabyDubs maybe instead of gassing them first they should be offered the way nature intended ie., alive?confused

Surely that would be more cruel.

faverolles Mon 18-Jul-11 14:56:28

I occasionally hatch and rear chicks. We have several chickens, including some rescued battery hens.
When the chicks are old enough to be sexed, the males are killed. There are very few alternatives. We could rear them on for meat, but unless they are specific meat breeds, it is very difficult to justify the cost when we are on a tight budget.
We could take them to a fur and feather auction, where they will probably be sold for pence to end up being cock fighting bait.
We could keep them, but we would have many complaints about noise, and we would have problems with aggression due to having too many cockerels.
I could buy hybrid egg layers and keep them in lovely conditions, but the male chicks will still have been subjected to the same fate.
Just trying to point out that even the free range chickens a lady up the road keeps will not be free from the dispatching of the males.
YANBU, but if you feel so strongly, maybe you should be vegan.

BabyDubsEverywhere Mon 18-Jul-11 14:57:45

Also, its not just that people WANT cheap food, lots of people NEED cheap food.

DogsBestFriend Mon 18-Jul-11 14:59:47

"Also, its not just that people WANT cheap food, lots of people NEED cheap food."

And a vegan diet isn't cheap? hmm

Really?

sixkids Mon 18-Jul-11 15:00:45

That was awful,i buy free range thinking its better and now ive seen male chicks being minced alive,sad and evil sad

Tollund Mon 18-Jul-11 15:01:54

I have no idea what to feed snakes and lizards. I haven't really thought that far into it. But I'm fairly sure something could be managed without having to mince the poor little buggers alive.

DBF Hello again. smile Yeah, it's much easier these days - I fed the family vegan custard recently and it's actually really good, no one noticed. Quite a lot of what we eat is vegan anyway (lots of curries, stews etc) so am thinking it wouldn't be a huge leap. DH isn't likely to ditch dairy though so I suppose it will always be in the house. Then I start thinking too much about what good it does being vegan and get all fed up that me not buying dairy isn't going to help at all. But that's a bit defeatist, I suppose...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now