Talk

Advanced search

To really pity some peoples future DIL's if they feel they have the final authority

(23 Posts)
BumWiper Mon 18-Jul-11 13:51:04

on infant feeding.Just reading the BF'ing thread and I couldn't help but feel sorry for future DIL's who,if they choose to FF,will be seen as uncaring and non maternal.
There will be thread upon thread about the MIL from hell.

Poor girls don't stand a chance.Or maybe it will be a factor in the marriage.Do you promise to love and breastfeed all the days of your life.

worraliberty Mon 18-Jul-11 13:54:33

True, but it's not just their DILs...it'll be their DDs too and DSs who have to suffer the self righteous crap.

HowlingBitch Mon 18-Jul-11 14:12:40

My MiL BF and was lovely about my choice to FF. I actually read some of the posts from these women and feel abit sad. Imagine being so insecure about yourself as a mother you feel the need to put other women down just to make yourself feel superior.

Awful, I too pity the future DD/DiLs of these women. Good luck to them!

ChaoticAngelofGryffindor Mon 18-Jul-11 14:15:47

Which BF'ing thread?

begonyabampot Mon 18-Jul-11 14:16:18

I thought FF was probably more common and popular back in the day of the MIL/Mothers (my mum said it was fashionable/quite expected to FF in the 60's and 70's).- I doubt they'd care that much TBH.

Pootles2010 Mon 18-Jul-11 14:17:17

You mean the SiL one?

You're right, but afraid it works both ways. Have taken my fair share of the annoying crap about starving my baby and 'ah lets just give him a bottle' behind my back crap.

The saying about a mothers place being in the wrong certainly rings true.

usualsuspect Mon 18-Jul-11 14:17:47

I don't think the bf threads on here reflect rl though

I've never come across such judgemental people in RL

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 18-Jul-11 14:18:06

YABU.... Future DILs etc will have been well-schooled in the MN ways with MILs which is to 'Ignore the toxic old bat!!! You're that baby's mother not her!!! You parent the way you bloody want!!!' etc.

ArmchairFeminist Mon 18-Jul-11 14:19:53

My MIL FF and was absolutely vile to me when I breastfed my children.

BluddyMoFo Mon 18-Jul-11 14:21:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thestringpeople Mon 18-Jul-11 14:22:47

Well I really don't have an opinion on whether my future dil's choose to bf or ff as it is the mothers choice. I will probably be scared to open my mouth to offer support in case it is construed as being pro ff or pro bf when she really wanted to do the opposite!

begonyabampot Mon 18-Jul-11 14:23:20

I now a lady whose 18/19yr old daughter was pregnant and when asked if the daughter was considering BF said, 'why on earth would she want to do that!'.

And then many MIL's are actually supportive and lovely - why does it have to be assumed that they are all awful?

Pinkglow Mon 18-Jul-11 14:24:26

My mum breastfed all four of her kids and went very much along the route of AP although it didnt have a name back then.

I followed GF and while I BF for the first few weeks I did then go onto FF. The only thing my mum disagreed with me were the use of dummies but everything else she was really supportive and we are able to discuss the differences without having strong words.

Maybe she was never self-righteous about her BB in the first place or maybe she has just reached an age where she sees that in the long run it doesnt really matter? Who knows

brownleatherbrogues Mon 18-Jul-11 14:24:48

i wouldnt give a monkeys about how my future DIL decided to feed their child

i wouldnt have expected my MIL or my mother to have had an opinion either

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 18-Jul-11 14:25:37

To be honest, I wonder how nice the BM tastes, or even how good it even is, with all the bile thrown in... Ugh.

You can't 'dine out' for the rest of your life just because you breastfed for 'X' months. Sooner or later you have to let your children eat solids and they go on for far longer.

usualsuspect Mon 18-Jul-11 14:26:19

I can barely remember how I fed mine

Pootles2010 Mon 18-Jul-11 14:32:01

Sorry Lying I don't understand your post at all. Is it in response to the sil thread?

Salmotrutta Mon 18-Jul-11 14:33:31

It never helps when people crusade in an "I'm right, You're wrong" confrontational way. Live and let live. <gives peace sign, throws flowers>

zukiecat Mon 18-Jul-11 14:34:27

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 18-Jul-11 14:35:00

Pootles, oh no it's on the wrong thread, sorry, it was for the SIL thread.

zukiecat Mon 18-Jul-11 14:35:22

ProcrastinatorGeneral Mon 18-Jul-11 15:11:54

My mum kept her nose out. His mum didn't figure in our lives at all as she's a toxic baggage who lives in her own fantasy world. Sorted.

When my kids leave home I'm getting a bedsit and a bicycle and if grandchildren arrive I shall coo, cuddle and mind by business.

lazarusb Mon 18-Jul-11 16:50:07

I BF dcs 2 & 3 and my MIL hated it. She had FF dh & sil in the 70s and felt I was criticising her decision to do that. She also felt there was a sexual element to it and that I should save my breasts for DH. Luckily, I was pretty resilient of her opinions by then and stuck to my guns grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now