Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not tell new school details of old school.

(27 Posts)
nojustificationneeded Mon 18-Jul-11 13:28:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CQrrrneee Mon 18-Jul-11 13:30:33

IME records often don't get passed on and even if they are no-one looks at them.

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 18-Jul-11 13:32:09

if you don't tell them, and the school finds out you didn't give the right information could your child lose her place at the school

nojustificationneeded Mon 18-Jul-11 13:35:09

AMumInScotland Mon 18-Jul-11 13:36:08

Sooner or later your DD will mention the other school, so it would be better for you to have told them upfront.

I don't see how the old head can cause you any trouble - as long as you gave the proper notice and don't owe them any money, its really nothing to do with him is it?

AuntiePickleBottom Mon 18-Jul-11 13:37:41

well i would tell them, or your DD could lose her place and you may even lose the money you have paid to the school

AMumInScotland Mon 18-Jul-11 13:38:23

If the old head is like that, maybe you should mention it to the new head, or the bursar - you could just say that you had heard some odd stories about things he had said when other children left and felt you should let them know that.

nojustificationneeded Mon 18-Jul-11 13:38:33

CQrrrneee Mon 18-Jul-11 13:38:51

I would list both schools. The Head will sound like a raving loon if he says anything.

CQrrrneee Mon 18-Jul-11 13:39:49

ask for a report from the first school to send in - do you have any saved?

nojustificationneeded Mon 18-Jul-11 13:40:25

nojustificationneeded Mon 18-Jul-11 13:41:07

CQrrrneee Mon 18-Jul-11 13:41:27

does it comment on her behaviour etc?

sue52 Mon 18-Jul-11 13:41:31

The new school has probably heard things about the bad school. These things get around. I would be honest from the start.

CQrrrneee Mon 18-Jul-11 13:41:58

yes agree with sue. The Head has probably got a reputation.

onadifferentplanettoday Mon 18-Jul-11 13:42:58

When ds4 started a new school after a year of home ed as well as asking for examples of work I had been doing with him I was asked for the last school report from his previous school.

valiumredhead Mon 18-Jul-11 13:43:08

Be honest from the start.

diddl Mon 18-Jul-11 13:43:40

I can´t see the problem with naming both schools that she has been at.

Why don´t you want to tell them?

Sidge Mon 18-Jul-11 13:46:33

Why wouldn't you tell the new school?

Surely if you say "yes, she was at xxxxxx but it wasn't for her and we had some issues with the school and the Head" they won't bat an eyelid. If the other Head is as odd as you say then they have probably heard all about him/her.

After all it's a private school, they're in business and the other school is their competition - they will probably be quite chuffed they've got your business and money as opposed to the other school!

Also remember your DD will at some point mention her old school, in conversation or in class. You don't want her to feel like she's got to keep a secret.

nojustificationneeded Mon 18-Jul-11 13:49:46

emptyshell Mon 18-Jul-11 13:53:14

If the head's a raving loon, every other head will already know he's a raving loon anyway! Private schools: new child in = more money at the end of the day. Think questions would only really be asked about the old school if anything did crop up like behavior issues in which case there might be phonecalls back to ask how they'd been and how was it handled in the old school.

Even in the state system generally the records and paperwork from old schools arrives so late you've already assessed and got the measure of the new child already by the time it finally arrives.

Needs be mention your concerns re old head - doubt it'll be anything the school hasn't heard before if they're THAT barking!

AandK Mon 18-Jul-11 15:09:46

I would be honest to the new school. I moved my ds from one school to another because of the head and I was very honest about it. The awful head then proved me right by not passing on my child's records when they were requested. It took the new school months and I truly believed they were only finally passed on when I threatened to complain to the school governors about her.

Honesty is always the best policy smile

dutchyoriginal Mon 18-Jul-11 15:58:12

nojustificationneeded, am I right in assuming you've namechanged and are a regular? I think you should be honest with the new school, if they find out stuff later and then contact the old school, the old head will seem much more reliable and honest, because you already "lied". I would give the new school information about the first school, examples of your homeschooling work and info about the second school. When you hand the stuff over, I would say something concise about there having been some issues and/or mention the odd stories you've heard from other leaving parents, so that the school is forewarned and can take the info from the head with a pinch of salt.

LIZS Mon 18-Jul-11 16:04:29

If you are who I think you are I would simply say where she has been but cite her possible SEN as not being recognised and met by the school and that differences in opinion as reason for moving. Try to couch it positively, that you feel you can work in partnership with the new school to help her and have willingness to get involved in school life (pta etc). I doubt they'd take up a reference especially if you can produce any termly reports.

nojustificationneeded Mon 18-Jul-11 17:19:57

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now