Talk

Advanced search

Someone went to the local state school Prom in a helicopter!

(79 Posts)
nojustificationneeded Mon 18-Jul-11 11:54:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GypsyMoth Mon 18-Jul-11 11:55:25

Who changed it? America!

It's their customs now becoming ours!!

worraliberty Mon 18-Jul-11 11:57:08

America didn't change it...the parents here did.

Probably the same parents who continually use the word 'gotten' and other such Americanisms!

A helicopter though? Wow!

mumblechum1 Mon 18-Jul-11 11:59:06

Some of ds's mates went to their prom (Monkey Island hotel, Bray - v swanky) in a speedboat up the Thames.

handsomeharry Mon 18-Jul-11 12:01:12

America cannot make people in Britain adopt their customs. It is the schools and parents who allow this to happen, most probably with pressure from the children.

usualsuspect Mon 18-Jul-11 12:02:08

Some of my DSs friends went to their prom in an ice cream van grin

rubyrubyruby Mon 18-Jul-11 12:02:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PotteringAlong Mon 18-Jul-11 12:04:50

someone I know did that - but it was because he ran a helicopter flight school and he refused to hire a limo for his DD to go (as v expensive!) when he had a perfectly good helicopter at work... grin

GypsyMoth Mon 18-Jul-11 12:05:53

What next? Parachuting in??

MrsSnaplegs Mon 18-Jul-11 12:06:14

One girl here went on a chopper bike cycled there in full length gowngrin

Deaddei Mon 18-Jul-11 12:07:11

Pretentious wankers.

usualsuspect Mon 18-Jul-11 12:07:59

I like the silly ones grin

My DS was considering being pushed to his prom in a shopping trolley

worraliberty Mon 18-Jul-11 12:08:14

If only they were this keen to get to school grin

Salmotrutta Mon 18-Jul-11 12:08:15

I really shouldn't read these threads! "Proms" and Limos and all this utter nonsense. And the fact that this seems to be happening in Primary too!!
We just had a yearly "school disco" in the Spring Term for Secondary when I was at school- no Leavers Dance as such. The Sixth Years just all got together informally and had a meal out or somesuch.
All this stuff about dresses and limos - horrific peer and parental pressure. sad
I saw a documentary a while back where some Primary teachers had organised a "Prom" for their leaving class and were going on about how marvellous etc. it was all going to be. Well not for the kids whose parents were stretched financially and the competition seemed to be horrendous.

worraliberty Mon 18-Jul-11 12:09:04

Oh usualsuspect that sounds brilliant!

I can see the trolley now...all done up with balloons and stuff grin

TheRhubarb Mon 18-Jul-11 12:09:51

We had our primary school leavers disco last Friday and someone drove their child there in a TANK.

I kid you not.

I wonder that they will turn up to at the secondary school prom, an Apache helicopter?

notso Mon 18-Jul-11 12:09:51

I blame my supersweet yet disgustingly needy and tacky sixteen.

mrsbacchus Mon 18-Jul-11 12:10:42

Dh been roped in to take part in a convoy of lotus cars to take a friends daughter and her friends to their prom tonight. Not sure of the logistics of getting in and out of a lotus with prom dress, prom hair and tiaras. Don't think it has been thought through properly at all. It seems even the obligatory stretch limo isn't enough any more to make an entrance. Unfortunately I predict tears tonight.

bringmesunshine2009 Mon 18-Jul-11 12:16:36

Oh you load of killjoys. Proms have taken off here adopted from our American friends for the same reason Baby Showers have. BECAUSE THEY ARE FUN! Yes yes all terribly British to be miserable, but why not take on fun customs? I am all for Spring Break. Or I would be as a teen. Less so as a parent perhaps.

Also let's not forget: Reeces Peanut Butter Cups and Oreos-yummy!

Who doesn't want to get dressed up, have a date etc. I know it's likely to be expensive for the parents, but, when I was at school I got a part time job to fund such things.

As for the helicopter, excessive, but if I were 16 and offered it I would bite the arm off the parent that did. Cool factor 10 surely.

Lighten up. Don't feel bad you can't afford to fly your kid in/annoyed that peer pressure means they would expect such extravagance, am sure your DCs wouldn't even think to ask.

bringmesunshine2009 Mon 18-Jul-11 12:18:38

Edit to say: DCs wouldn't ask because are not spoilt but well brought up children!

multitask Mon 18-Jul-11 12:19:45

My daugher's friend arrived in a tractor!! Was going to use the combine harvester but streets were too narrow, least it wasn't a muck spreader!!

Salmotrutta Mon 18-Jul-11 12:20:47

How do you park a tank?

worraliberty Mon 18-Jul-11 12:21:59

Firstly I don't have any American friends

Baby Showers IMO are just 'grabby gimme gimme gimme' events

It's not 'terrribly British to be miserable'

'Spring Break' will always be the Easter Holidays to me

Traditionally kids have always 'dressed up' and 'had dates etc'....known as the school leavers disco

Reeces Peanut Butter Cups are vile (never tasted Oreos)

And I can't say I've ever felt bad for not flying my sons anywhere grin

Salmotrutta Mon 18-Jul-11 12:24:15

I agree worra - I hate anything Reece's and don't bother trying Oreos - they are like charcoal smeared in butter cream. Vile.
As for Hershey bars - vomitous.

WannaBeMarryPoppins Mon 18-Jul-11 12:24:46

Salmotrutta I imagine parking it quite well... they are so big I would just drive over everything in my way till the parking spot was big enough for me (oh the possibilities for crap drivers like me [hgrin] )

This is starting to go totally over the top. We had a lovely prom after high school with a buffet and everything. BUt the parents were there too and I think most people just came with their parents in the car. Although I remember some people taking the subway

In primary school we went to the zoo and then had a barbecue at school, with music, fun games etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now