Talk

Advanced search

Martine McCutcheon - Activa ads

(22 Posts)
TheSugarPlumFairy Sun 17-Jul-11 21:20:47

What in holy hell is she wearing. That blue spotted playsuit...it seems to be belted right under her armpits which makes her look either pregnant or the proud owner of an old lady tummy.

if she is pregnant then all is well but if not the stylist needs shooting.

TeamEdward Sun 17-Jul-11 21:21:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shinyshoes1 Sun 17-Jul-11 21:22:56

she looks very smug. I can't stand her,I wonder how long she had to spin around in the chair or and how many youghurts she had to eat grin

IslaValargeone Sun 17-Jul-11 21:24:22

I think she must be pregnant.
I'm sure she is very lovely but her teeth irritate the hell out of me.

onebigchocolatemess Sun 17-Jul-11 21:30:22

the inside story is she is a total paranoid android about her weight, kept missing advert recording dates when she had gained, and has to have final say on wardrobe and the editing because of it.

I think its quite sad she is so insecure because she is a good actress.

LittleBoSqueak Sun 17-Jul-11 21:32:18

Look at her legs in the end shot when she is kneeling- she has definitely put on weight. Must be awful to have to rely on these adverts for your income.

Beccabop Sun 17-Jul-11 21:32:59

Shes very unreliable, apparently.

Who was that very famous older actor she was in the play My Fair Lady with years ago...? He couldnt stand her unprofessionalism.

IslaValargeone Sun 17-Jul-11 21:36:45

Jonathan Pryce.
Wasn't she ill though? throat problems?

outnumbered2to1 Sun 17-Jul-11 21:38:37

can't watch the activia ads without feeling the urge to throw something at the telly....... she is soooooooooooooooooooooooo irritating and smug - almost as bad as Mylene Klass (or Myklene Ass depending on how you say it)

Beccabop Sun 17-Jul-11 21:39:03

Well didnt she win an award for that? And when the camera at the ceremony panned to JP he had a face like thunder, lol?
She'd been missing loads of nights yeah, think her understudy did most of the run blush

Frizzbonce Sun 17-Jul-11 21:44:34

Beccabop it was Jonathan Pryce in My Fair Lady. There was a clip of Martine McC winning an Olivier for her role as Eliza Doolittle when her understudy had been on more than her. To be fair MMC she did have a series of throat problems but on one occasion she was caught coming out of The Ivy when she was supposed to be ill at home.

There was a general feeling among the West End that she had a good but untrained voice and frankly you need real discipline and singing 'chops' to do eight shows a week. When Cameron Mackintosh opened Mary Poppins he had an undisguised dig at 'tv stars' who get cast in roles they can't sustain just to get an audience in. He then went out of his way to cast an unknown but seriously trained stage actress Laura Michelle Kelly.

Oh yeah and at the time my then DH was working on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and in the first few weeks, there was a joke going round the West End that the car which kept breaking down was renamed 'Martine' !! And every time a piece of machinery broke down on any West End show it was called 'doing a Martine'.

Hee Hee!

BibiBlocksberg Sun 17-Jul-11 21:44:46

Jeez - that spotted suit!!! Glad someone started a thread about that smile

Everytime I see the ad i wonder what the activia yoghurt people have against her.

The Simon cowell-esque waistband on the jeans in the last ad were bad enough but this playsuit makes her look like an elderly infant.

Not possible I know but I hope you get my thinking.

And I NEVER join in with celebrity discussions usually so that's how bad this suit is!

Frizzbonce Sun 17-Jul-11 21:45:29

PS: Forgot to say - in the clip of MMC winning the Olivier - the camera pans to Jonathan Pryce and he's openly saying: 'Oh for fuck sake' !!!

LittleBoSqueak Sun 17-Jul-11 21:46:44

I had forgotten the jeans from the last ad- so unflattering!

Pedallleur Sun 17-Jul-11 21:47:52

The story was that she was living the life in 'China White' a club owned by her (then?) partner and believed that she could do a West End Musical of 7 shows a week on little sleep and a large amount of partying - her career seemed to slump altho' she did get a part in 'Love Actually'. Shame really as the intial run of MFL apparently was superb in a role she really fought to get.

Beccabop Sun 17-Jul-11 21:50:11

LOL Frizzbonce! Well that says it all, doesnt it smile I thought she was really good in Love Actually, mind.

I bet a lot of these telly stars have a bloody hard time proving themselves.

TaudrieTattoo Sun 17-Jul-11 21:50:46

Do you know what, though?

I saw her in that role, and she was absolutely fucking brilliant.

And I am no big fan of hers. It was the play I wanted to see, iykwim.

But she was really, properly great.

Beccabop Sun 17-Jul-11 21:52:36

Really? Wonder if J Pryce is a bit of a bullying luvvie.. wink

TaudrieTattoo Sun 17-Jul-11 21:54:08

I can imagine his frustration if she was off a lot.

But when she was there, she was blinding.

Beccabop Sun 17-Jul-11 21:57:26

Kudos to Martine!

I also seem to remember her trying her luck in America for a bit but she pissed a few influential people off there...(this is all memorised from magazines years ago so could all be complete rubbish lol)

VampiresReflection Sun 17-Jul-11 22:18:06

I met Martine recently. She is an ambassador for ECPAT who are calling on the government to change the laws on trafficked children. She was absolutely lovely and really knew her stuff on the subject matter.

My DD had her picture taken with her and Martine was not in the slightest offended at being referred to as the 'yoghurt lady off the tv.'

VampiresReflection Sun 17-Jul-11 22:20:34

www.ecpat.org.uk/

More about ECPAT here. They are a great organisation. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now