Talk

Advanced search

To have shouted at my over exited children now feel like the worst mother in the world??

(40 Posts)
DarlingDuck Sun 17-Jul-11 20:59:06

I have 3 DC's (6 months, 3 and 5) and as it has been a horrible rainy weekend and we haven't had any plans we've been stuck indoors.

DS2 is still breastfed so when feeding him and trying to get him to nap I need quiet but DS1 and DD get on very well and their games can be punctuated by loud squeals screams and giggles which is fine outdoors but drives me to distraction indoors when I am trying to get DS2 to sleep.

That coupled with getting up at 6am every morning has makes me so irratable and I have shouted loads today as they weren't listening when I asked them to be quiet or get dressed and I now feel terrible and like the worst mother, aibu?

Tchootnika Sun 17-Jul-11 21:04:54

YABU: You're exhausted, and all of us have a shout occasionally.
IMO, it does children no harm to understand that parents have feelings and limitations.
And I don't think you're helping yourself by beating yourself up about being human.
brew

Riveninside Sun 17-Jul-11 21:05:57

All of us have a snout. I just told 7 yo dd to stfu as she is still yelling and my ears hurt from it.
We all shout

DarlingDuck Sun 17-Jul-11 21:10:10

It feels like it's only me, I just can't imagine some of the school gate mum's losing their rag! I wish I could just be a good parent and stay super nanny style calm!

fedupofnamechanging Sun 17-Jul-11 21:20:18

super nanny stays calm because she can fuck off home at the end of the day and doesn't have to listen to screaming and shrieking all day.

I had a splitting headache earlier and was quite grumpy. I want to be calm and reasonable all the time too, but when you repeatedly ask a child to do something and they ignore you, it's hard to be perfect, especially when you are tired or feeling ill.

I have just bellowed at my two, dd also caught the swearword I thought i'd muttered. A saint I am not.

Beccabop Sun 17-Jul-11 21:24:00

brew x

Riveninside Sun 17-Jul-11 21:28:15

Goi g to swear again. She is still yelling

Beccabop Sun 17-Jul-11 21:29:28

....does that Supernanny actually have any kids..?

Becky99 Sun 17-Jul-11 21:29:51

I have had a day pretty much identical to you and went sobbing to the bathroom by myself after I slapped my 3 year old DS. Felt like shit & still do. Being a mum today is the hardest job ever.

DarlingDuck Sun 17-Jul-11 21:30:17

Riveninside - I'm sorry I know that shouldn't have made me smile but it just maks me so happy I'm not the only one grin

molepom Sun 17-Jul-11 21:31:58

Right, sod it. I dont care if you lot judge me.

Today I have shouted at both the kids (8 and 10), I even let rip the odd swear. I'm not happy about it, but for the love of god they drive me to distraction some days. Today I was in a foul mood anyway as they had yet again gone into the baking cupboard and not only eaten the chocolate chips (I was upstairs for 3 mintues while I got dressed, they can as quick as lightning when they want to be) but had mangaed to spill a bottle of olive oil that I had on the side from marinating dinner and an entire 500g bag of caster sugar.

They have both been bickering, arguing, fighting, screaming all morning and that's when I lost it.

They had a cry and then they have been as good as gold for the rest of the day. They have even done the hoovering, cleaned up, AND went to bed on time without me having to tell them a million times.

Guess what? I feel guilty now because they have been so good after the rollocking I gave them and they are asleep.

You are only human.

DarlingDuck Sun 17-Jul-11 21:32:48

Beccabop - no she doesn't, apparently that's why she is so good at what she does hmm

Becky99 - it really is so hard!

doodledaisy Sun 17-Jul-11 21:34:56

It's been a shouty day here, couldn't go out 'cos of the weather, children had about 20 mins in the garden. I made up for it by painting their nails before bed. Glad they're back to school tomorrow and those poor teachers can deal with them getting bored inside.

DarlingDuck Sun 17-Jul-11 21:35:34

Summer holidays coming up though!!!!

Becky99 Sun 17-Jul-11 21:36:03

Ta. Tomorrow's another day I guess....sad

Al0uiseG Sun 17-Jul-11 21:39:18

Sometimes losing it a bit is like a cold reboot, everyone gets out their frustrations and the calm hormones start flowing again.

QueeferSutherland Sun 17-Jul-11 21:39:21

Rainy Sundays are the worst.

I always take an extra AntiD on Sundays. Helps the day along, and makes me less inclined to be shouty.

musttidyupmusttidyup Sun 17-Jul-11 21:41:45

When I read thread title thought I must be dreadful then as that is most days in my house! Bf baby4 yr old and 2 yr old who fight also and sooo loud all the time esp when feeding baby so she does that thing when they pull off without letting go ouch ouch ouch. 6 am start on a good day. Frigging shattered as baby not slept more than 4 hrs between feeds ever and is 20 weeks.
So.........
1) Kids go to bed at 7.30 so hurrah for evenings on ebay/mumsnet/TV (poss talk to DH for 5 mins)
2) Drink (dont tell BF police) a bit most days
3) Remeber its not forever and loom at my beautiful children and remember I'm actually a v v lucky lady smile
winewine 1 each.

Beccabop Sun 17-Jul-11 21:42:15

molepom Id have gone mad too

musttidyupmusttidyup Sun 17-Jul-11 21:43:23

Oooops and wine wine for becky. Chin up girl.

DarlingDuck Sun 17-Jul-11 21:46:16

musttidyupmusttidyup - I am sat here with DH half watching telly and half messing around on mumsnet/ebay drinking a glass of wine thinking how lucky I am and how I will try no to shout tomorrow........

OriginalPoster Sun 17-Jul-11 21:47:25

When they are excited and loud and I'm just narky and tired I like to shout '

'Stop having fun'

grin

They think it's funny and it changes the mood

musttidyupmusttidyup Sun 17-Jul-11 21:49:27

OP are you watching The Apprentice?
Are you me???

musttidyupmusttidyup Sun 17-Jul-11 21:50:21

originalposter grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now