Talk

Advanced search

to think if a dog can't behave then it should be on a lead?

(90 Posts)
RobynLou Sun 17-Jul-11 18:48:28

we live next to a small park, cutting across it takes quite a chunk off our walk to preschool, so most days me, DD1 (nearly4) and DD2(5m) go across it, DD1 walking, DD2 in the sling.

the park is doggy central, there's always one or two people there with dogs. that is of course fine, but often the owners are standing at the edge of the park while the dogs run around, we walk across and the dogs come bounding up to us.

each day this happens and each day the owners try and call the dogs away but they don't go. I'm confident the dogs wouldn't hurt us but they're intimidating and scary for DD1, and the bigger ones I also find a bit scary tbh, I've never owned a dog and a strange one running towards you and jumping up at you when you have 2 small children isn't nice.

the owners sometimes shout over things like oh she's just being friendly/she won't hurt you. aibu to think that isn't the point? If DD1 couldn't be trusted not to run up to and pester/intimidate people in the park I would follow her around like a hawk. why is behavior that wouldn't be accepted in a child seemingly acceptable in a dog?

catgirl1976 Sun 17-Jul-11 18:52:51

Dogs need exercise so they need to be let off thier leads for a run. They are not "mis-behaving" by running up to you. While I understand it might be unnerving if you / DD are not dog people, the dogs are just saying hello. I am not sure in what way your 4 year is likely to intimidate people if she ran up to them in a park - but I would like to see it smile

thursday Sun 17-Jul-11 18:53:06

oh i hate that. a dog jumped on my son and pinned him to a wall yesterday while he was out with my mum. he said he thought it was going to bite him and the owner got arsey and said it would never bite anyone. err, he's 4 and was scared stiff and i don't give a shit whether YOU think your dog is adorable or not (i think most owners of child killing dogs probably thought they were lovely too) keep it under control and away from my children.

ragged Sun 17-Jul-11 18:54:20

I wouldn't feel pestered by dogs bounding up to me on a piece of rough ground.
I don't any of the faff of dog ownership, but I desperately want DC to know how to interact with dogs, and to like dogs, and to understand what dogs are like, and very importantly, not to feel uncomfortable around dogs. Dogs are part of society & here to stay. It's responsible parenting on my part to take advantage of opportunities for DC to interact with dogs and understand what they are like. It's especially helpful, actually, if the dog is feeling scared or unfriendly; I need DC to have practise recognising that.

I would be annoyed with someone who felt pestered by my small child running up near them, small children don't have to follow the same social rules as adults. Is daft to think otherwise.

YABU.

squeakytoy Sun 17-Jul-11 18:55:47

I do agree with you, and I am a dog owner. My dog is never off the lead in a public area. Ever.

In fact I dont take him out in areas where there are likely to be dogs off lead, simply because he is terrified of dogs that come bounding up to him, and is likely to bite one if it did. He was attacked a few years ago, and the fear has never left him, despite taking him to training and doggy therapy..

There is a new park where we live, that was built as part of the new estate at the end of our road. There are multiple notices up, saying that dogs must be kept on a lead, "great!" I thought.. somewhere nice to go for a walk.. how wrong I was sad, I seemed to be the only dog walker with a dog on a lead... I dont give a toss how your dog is "only friendly and wants to play".. my bloody dog doesnt.

ragged Sun 17-Jul-11 18:56:07

ps: and if any of DC found dogs scarey I'd want to use these encounters as opportunities to work thru those fears & try to overcome them.

Pixel Sun 17-Jul-11 18:56:56

YANBU. I've been brought up with dogs and am generally not afraid unless one is obviously aggressive but I do get annoyed with the people who shout "Oh he won't hurt you" as their dog leaps all over you. I know that, I'm not scared of it, just annoyed at having my clothes covered in mud and god knows what else actually.angry. It's just manners and If a dog of mine can't be trusted not to jump up I would make sure I had hold of it before it got the chance.

oldraver Sun 17-Jul-11 18:57:34

We have a dog in our street that has chased and nipped at both DS and B/F while they were on their bikes. I've been told by a neighbour who walks the dog he is very 'nippy' and the owners no this, so why they dont keep him on a lead in the street beats me

RobynLou Sun 17-Jul-11 18:59:17

but it's not helping DD to feel confident around dogs by having them jump up at her then not come away when called.

shouldn't dogs be trained to go to their owner when called? if they don't do that 99% of the time they shouldn't be allowed to run freely in a park imo...

I just hate when the owner calls and calls and the dog doesn't respond and they act as though DD is silly for not being happy about it.

Fluffeh Sun 17-Jul-11 19:00:28

YANBU. I own 2 dogs and I do let them off the lead but they would never bound over to anyone, even someone they knew.
If these dogs are intimidating you in any way you have every right to ask that they are kept on a lead.

RobynLou Sun 17-Jul-11 19:01:37

I was thinking of her being mean to smaller children I guess catgirl... the image of her snarling at random people is rather amusing though!

Empusa Sun 17-Jul-11 19:03:14

"Dogs need exercise so they need to be let off thier leads for a run. They are not "mis-behaving" by running up to you."

I totally disagree.

And I say this as a dog owner.

Dog's that do not know recall should not be off lead, especially not when there are others about.

DogsBestFriend Sun 17-Jul-11 19:06:19

I'm not even getting into this argument...

I'll just say now that some of you are going to make the most hysterical claims, some arse will mention Staffies with tone of a nun who's just met Freddie Kruger, then some tit will make a Pit Bull comment and just some of you will say something reasonable and measured.

<<hides thread>>

grin

thursday Sun 17-Jul-11 19:06:32

i choose to educate my children about dogs with the 4 leggers who live with my friends, and with nice dog owners you meet out and about. i think its stupidly irresponsible the way a lot of dog owners encourage children they dont know to stroke and accept being licked and climbed on by dogs they dont know. i prefer the ones who seem to be able to grasp that some dogs are dangerous and have owners who are thick as mince.

'oh he's just being friendly' i was informed by a woman recently after her dog licked dds face in the buggy <vom>. i was half tempted to lick her face and see how she liked it but i'm sure it would have tasted of dogs saliva.

diddl Sun 17-Jul-11 19:06:43

Should dogs even be off leads in a park?

And if they don´t respond most of the time, then they shouldn´t be off the lead imo.

"Dogs need exercise so they need to be let off thier leads for a run."
-only if it´s somewhere suitable & not at the expense of others I would have thought.

And surely not all dogs are let off as they are not well enough trained or don´t walk somewhere suitable?

TakeMeDrunkImHome Sun 17-Jul-11 19:08:06

Tortoises off leads, now they are a problem. Luckily you have time to get out of the way.

thursday Sun 17-Jul-11 19:08:39

dog who jumped on ds yesterday was a staffie....

Claw3 Sun 17-Jul-11 19:13:07

PErhaps next time a dog runs up to you and jumps up, you could send your toddler over to jump on the dog owner, seems only fair.

BeerTricksPotter Sun 17-Jul-11 19:13:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thursday Sun 17-Jul-11 19:14:26

except when they eat them wink

squeakytoy Sun 17-Jul-11 19:17:38

DBF, I purposely DIDNT mention the breed of my dog when I posted...

Because he is a staffy.

The dog that attacked him was a labrador.

BeerTricksPotter Sun 17-Jul-11 19:17:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Sun 17-Jul-11 19:18:06

Are you trying to suggest I have neglected my duties as a tortoise owner? He knows NEVER to eat a toddler. A warning "nibble" perhaps but a full mouthful? How VERY dare you.

superjobee Sun 17-Jul-11 19:21:26

this annoys me, big muddy slobbery mutts jumping on ppl is just a badly trained animal and i'll be damned if im going to explain to a wee one that 'its a good dog' when it clearly isnt. bloody lazy owners make my blood boil. ive been raised with dogs my whole life my mums first was kennel club trained for 2 yrs bloody massive alsation scared the knickers off of everyone, biggest sook in the world he was smile. he never jamp on ppl, would offer his nose to little ones for them to let him sniff his hand but would never jump on or around kids. he was an absolute superstar i used to bully him mercilessly <i was 6 when we got him as a 4 month old pup> and he nipped me 3 times in his 14 yrs.

ShoutyHamster Sun 17-Jul-11 19:22:22

TakeMeDrunkI'mHome have you seen this?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul0gfCyeiyM

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now