Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think DP shouldn't go?

(14 Posts)
Pocketsocks Sun 17-Jul-11 17:57:57

FIL phoned today to ask that DP go visit him after work today. He then told me not to bring the kids over because he has shingles.
While I am aware that it is a contact illness and I highly doubt DP will be sharing towels etc, aibu to think that if FIL has concerns that he may infect the children by them being present, that DP shouldn't go either and possibly bring the virus home?
Or am I just being over cautious?

TheOriginalFAB Sun 17-Jul-11 17:59:32

YABU but understandably. I have just had shingles and no one has caught it off me. I don't think it is a catchable illness.

WhoAteMySnickers Sun 17-Jul-11 18:01:45

Extremely over cautious!

PorkChopSter Sun 17-Jul-11 18:05:24

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/Risks.aspx

^It is not possible to catch shingles from someone else with the condition. The shingles virus is reactivated from a previous infection with the varicella-zoster virus (the virus that causes chickenpox) and is not transmitted by person-to-person contact.
However, it is possible for someone who has never had chickenpox to catch chickenpox from someone with shingles^

Has your DH had chickenpox? Have the children? If everyone has had it, there is no problem. Perhaps your FIL thinks the children haven't had CP yet.

Pocketsocks Sun 17-Jul-11 18:09:42

I was reading that article earlier, hence my concern.

I'm aware that you can't catch shingles itself but while I'm not 100% sure about DP, neither I or the kids have had chicken pox yet and that's not something I want happening anytime soon since we all still have the latest cold! It was more the chicken pox that I was concerned about. Sorry I didn't make that clear. My main thought was that if FIL thinks the kids shouldn't go over then surely we should all stay away incase we do end up with chciken pox in the house from DP's visit.

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Sun 17-Jul-11 18:10:23

Alternatively, it could be that your FIL simply doesn't feel up to seeing his dgc because shingles can be bloody painful.

<<Is there a Native Amerian name for 'speaksfromexperience'?>>

WhereYouLeftIt Sun 17-Jul-11 18:47:08

I did get chickenpox from my husband's shingle, however this may be because I was actually touching the weeping sore as we tried to identify what the hell it was.

Not sure how infectious it actually is, i.e. would you be safe as long as you don't touch the sores?

myBOYSareBONKERS Sun 17-Jul-11 18:48:54

Are your children under a year? If not then I wouldn't knowingly expose them to chicken pox but I wouldn't be worried about them getting it. 99% certain they will get it at some point!!

squeakytoy Sun 17-Jul-11 18:50:13

Have you asked your partner if he has had it, seeing as you arent sure? That would probably be the best course of action.

Having said that, my grandfather was seriously ill with shingles when I was a child. I was staying at their house while he was ill, and still didnt get chickenpox until I was 26.

Oakmaiden Sun 17-Jul-11 18:52:08

YABU - Shingles is miserable. I am not surprised he doesn't feel up to having children around.

LineRunner Sun 17-Jul-11 18:54:00

I was going to touch on that point - shingles can be a very painful and very serious illness and maybe your FiL just wants the worry-free peace and quiet.

FingandJeffing Sun 17-Jul-11 18:54:25

Pretty sure you need close contact from shingles to get chicken pox. If your Dh has had it it should be fine. Your fil might need help, it is a horrid illness esp for older people. Very painful and debilitating.

Pocketsocks Sun 17-Jul-11 18:54:56

That was one of the reason's I made the post, from reading you would think as long as you weren't sharing towels or poking each other you'd be fine, but then people hold chicken pox parties and I'm assuming that's just kids playing as normal, so I was officially confused as usual!

And yes, DS2 is nearly 10 months, and I'd really hate for him to have to suffer with it, but I also don't want to be rude to FIL unessercerily by putting my foot down.

Thank you all for your advise

TheOriginalFAB Mon 18-Jul-11 17:59:08

I have recently had it and it is awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now