Talk

Advanced search

Sorry if anyone has already ranted about this but...

(3 Posts)
northernrock Sat 16-Jul-11 22:57:04

Did anyone watch the programme about the influence of dads on BBC4 I think?

I am so annoyed! The stuff about the change in hormones in men after having babies was interesting BUT, WTF was all that stuff about how men are more playful, more ironic, use longer words (therefore aiding toddler's language development)wittier and just basically more fun!

They also said that single dads are basically better than single mums because, hey! They make everything, even the most simple task FUN! They inspire confidence and independence, and childen of single dad's are, apparently, more likely to have a stable routine, eat meals at the same times every day and be good in school...
Weeeell, excuuuse me!
First of all, I have always done loads of rough play, chase and tickle and chucking my ds about (as a single mum) and personally credit his ace sense of humour on the fact that I have finely honed his comedy and piss taking skills.

The thing about single dads really pissed me off because, maybe, just maybe, the children of men who are willing to take on their entire care are statistically better adjusted because they are genetically related to unusually responsible men!

There are FAR more children being brought up by single women than men, so the focus group of dads who have had sole care of their children is actually really small, so I don't see how any scientific assesment can be made based on the single dad group.

I am sure dads are important, but ffs, the sterotyping in this programme was ridiculous, and downright insulting to us single mums who are busy being the mums AND dads we wish we had had.
So there.

shitmagnet Sat 16-Jul-11 23:08:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MummyTigger Sat 16-Jul-11 23:34:15

That sounds like a load of absolute crock.

I bet you a tenner that program was directed, written and researched by a bloke.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now