Talk

Advanced search

to want to do bra fitting parties .....

(16 Posts)
pingusmumtoo Sat 16-Jul-11 22:37:46

Well ladies, there has been a lot of talk on here about the horror of ill fitting bras and terrible service so do you think IABU to go and harrass the suppliers into letting me sell their products at parties ?
I would dearly love to open my own shop but it really is financially impossible in this climate - retail is obviously suffering and the thing about lingerie is you have to cover so many sizes. Clothes - 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 ...
Bras well lets take just 34's - so 34A, 34B, 34C, 34D, 34DD, 34E, 34F, 34FF, 34G ... and a decent shop should have something to cover every size so thats 28 - 46 back size minimum and A - J Cup .... it's a lot of stock.
Now - if I did parties - you know the Jamie at Home / Tupperware type thing, I would ask those invited a few pertinent questions and thus be able to narrow down the sizes required for each party - obviously take my favourite 'fitting' bras in all sizes and then select some fabulous other stuff and off we go.
The thing is, I know that a fair few of the suppliers I love will have issues with the party selling thing - and I think that is such a shame. Surely bra buying if nothing else is a personal experience and a great fitter has got to be a better bet than a shop which looks great but the staff are awful.
So ladies - what do you all think ?
There are obviously some other fantastic, sensible, experienced fitters on here - what do you guys think ?

worraliberty Sat 16-Jul-11 22:40:02

Yes it's a personal experience which is exactly why I wouldn't be seen dead at a bra fitting party Lol!

Good idea in a way, but women are funny about their boobs and don't like being compared so I'm not sure how many would be happy to attend.

NotAnotherNewNappy Sat 16-Jul-11 22:42:47

YANBU... I would go, and probably drag along a few friend's who'd never been fitted properly.

sunshinelifeisgood Sat 16-Jul-11 22:43:22

not for me im afraid

Clarence15 Sat 16-Jul-11 22:43:40

I think it is a wonderful idea, and could be massive. How would people buy though? Surely you'd still have to carry round loads of stock because the different styles will fit differently won't they? Potentially a very good business idea though.

DaphneHeartsFred Sat 16-Jul-11 22:44:38

I'd rather eat my own sick, tbh.

pingusmumtoo Sat 16-Jul-11 22:50:36

Well it sure as hell wouldn't be a oooohhh look at hers look at mine kind of thing - but I certainly used to fit 3 or 4 women at a time - in individual changing rooms - majoritively they didn't know each other when they went in but you'd be amazed how many were more than happy to chat/compare once they got fitted right.
Personally I am sponge bob square boobs grin and not vaguely perfect - too many hideous scars for that. I suspect this helps women in general feel at ease.

ZillionChocolate Sat 16-Jul-11 22:53:05

I don't think it would work. If I go bra shopping I might try on 3 or 4 styles in 2 or 3 sizes each. I'm not sure you can carry that much stock. It'd also be a bit weird trying on a bra immediately after a friend (even though I know this happens in shops), it's all a bit intimate.

worraliberty Sat 16-Jul-11 22:55:30

Well it sure as hell wouldn't be a oooohhh look at hers look at mine kind of thing

That wouldn't be your intention, but you can't control or speak for the people who turn up if you see what I mean.

Really though, it's easy enough to Google 'how to measure your bust' and then go shopping for a bra.

breatheslowly Sat 16-Jul-11 23:26:09

I think that the amount of stock you would have to carry would be way too much to be able to afford to set up. Stocking 28-46 in A-J for each style is about 100 bras per style (ok, it wouldn't quite work like this) and then you would need multiple styles and colours.

Also I really like the anonymity of going into Bravissimo and getting fitted by someone I don't know with no one I know hearing the conversation.

Tommy Sat 16-Jul-11 23:34:18

I like the idea but decent bras are veryexpensive and it would be hard to keep up the client base etc.
I went to a charity women's pamper type evening recently and they had a woman from a bra shop there who did a measurement on a volunteer. It was great fun and a real laugh but what she did was make appointments for people to come to her shop and spend £60 on a new bra.
I can't imagine how you would do it as a party plan type thing

BagofHolly Sun 17-Jul-11 07:44:49

I'd go! Id make them compulsory! I have a special hatred for badly fitting bras, and yet often find myself noticing lumps that weren't there when I got dressed. My delightful DH calls it "quadra-tits."

microfight Sun 17-Jul-11 07:54:04

I also think although it would be a good idea it would not work as a business due to the stock needed.

notcitrus Sun 17-Jul-11 10:30:28

Tempting. I could see it working as a service offered by a bra shop, rather than a stand-alone business. So posters in the shop advertising bra parties, get at least 8 women to commit to an evening, say 20 max, give us your approx sizes, and someone will come out with a range of stock for you to try. And obviously a bunch of catalogues!

Might go down very well with mothers of small children who find it hard to get to shops during opening hours.

I doubt it would work as a standalone due to the cost of the stock, but on the other hand women need bras whereas Avon cosmetics, Betterware etc they don't.

Loshad Sun 17-Jul-11 21:56:10

I've done them many years ago when i was a bra agent for the NCT - they were very popular, and usually lots of fun. It would be a whole antenatal class. I did take the women off to a private room for the actual fitting. It's quite intense though, and i tended to prefer on customer at a time.

FreudianSlipper Sun 17-Jul-11 21:58:31

good idea but it is not jsut about size different makes do different shapes and boobs come in all different shapes so you would have to have lots of different makes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now