Talk

Advanced search

to be shocked at the price of school dresses?

(10 Posts)
glassescase Sat 16-Jul-11 18:42:59

in Asda. Gingham dress with scrunchie, was £4 (cheap), now £2. TWO POUNDS!!!!

Not tiny ones either; for ages up to about 8 or so.
Even with economies of scale, I am amazed that they can see them so cheaply.

Kladdkaka Sat 16-Jul-11 18:46:52

I wonder where they're made.

MrsPresley Sat 16-Jul-11 18:48:31

I thought you were going to say how expensive they are grin and I was going to recommend Sainsbury, 2 for 7 pounds.

But, yes 2 pounds is very cheap, nice bargain!

twinklypearls Sat 16-Jul-11 18:51:25

Two pounds would make me wonder who had made them and at what personal cost,

glassescase Sat 16-Jul-11 18:52:13

SELL them, sorry!
Part of me wanted to buy them as they are such a bargain, even though I don't have anyone to wear them, but also I was trying to imagine how the fabric could be bought, cut, sewn etc for so little!

LynetteScavo Sat 16-Jul-11 18:54:56

They are loss leaders...each supermarkets triy to get you in with the cheapest school dresses, and then you do your entire weeks shopping there.

But at this time of year, no one wants dresses anymore, so they need to shift them, hence the very low price.

catgirl1976 Sat 16-Jul-11 19:00:30

No doubt because they are made in a sweat shop - possibly by children who won't get to go to schol.

catgirl1976 Sat 16-Jul-11 19:01:29

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-real-price-of-cheap-clothes-bangladeshi-sweatshop-labourers-paid-just-3p-an-hour-427589.html

3p an hour - so........

NettoSuperstar Sat 16-Jul-11 19:01:57

They sell them off at this time of year, but yes, Asda uniform cheap anyway, and not bad for the price. I buy DD's trousers/skirts/dresses there.

jenniec79 Sat 16-Jul-11 19:03:38

There was a BBC3 series a couple of years ago showing the cheap end of the UK clothing market. Called something like Blood sweat & Tshirts.

It was focussed on a gang of older teens and self confessed fashion victims who worked in a range of fashion jobs from nice factory right through to cotton field. Some of the sweatshop bits were a real eye opener, workers living in the one room factory - peicework and not paid if not up to standard, for pennies per item. I don't think they did show any child workerd, but I wouldn't be surprised tbh.

I do wonder why when people do choose fairtrade items in terms of coffee/chocolate etc that so few fairtrade options are available in clothing. school staples seem a really obvious one, especially when I think how political we used to get about things like animal rights etc as teens, I suppose it'll take longer to filter to younger ones. Then again, if 2 for £4 dresses exist, many will buy them esp while money is tight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now