Talk

Advanced search

Why aren't these hats sold in UK?

(42 Posts)
deliakate Sat 16-Jul-11 17:33:37

hat

Is there something unsafe about the ties? Many babies in Germany wear this type of hat until they are at least 12 months every time they go outside. Anybody know?

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 16-Jul-11 17:34:52

Strangulation risk according to the font of all baby knowledge that is Mothercare.

WowOoo Sat 16-Jul-11 17:35:24

No idea really, but I'd guess it's health and safety or just fashion. We had some like that for dc. Funnily enough they were gifts from abroad.

microfight Sat 16-Jul-11 17:35:38

Because they're really ugly wink

squeakytoy Sat 16-Jul-11 17:35:55

Babies in this country used to wear bonnets like those.. I know I did as a child because my mums aunt would knit them in every colour you could think of.

HowToLookGoodGlaikit Sat 16-Jul-11 17:36:33

I had to giggle at the site being called Baby Butt grin

<immature>

HowToLookGoodGlaikit Sat 16-Jul-11 17:37:22

They are pretty hideous too.

WowOoo Sat 16-Jul-11 17:37:27

I've had to sew ties on to one of ds2's sun hats to keep it on.
Since doing that he doesn't realise that his other hat with no ties can actually be pulled off v easily.

zukiecat Sat 16-Jul-11 17:38:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Andrewofgg Sat 16-Jul-11 17:39:22

To make people learn enough German to order from the website. It can be done.

Jux Sat 16-Jul-11 17:40:15

We grew up with these hats too. I've knitted them for people's babies (on request) too. I don't know why they're safe for German babies but not UK babies, though. In fact, my mind is boggling.

Tarlia Sat 16-Jul-11 17:41:18

We have one just like that, but patterned - DS looks so cute!

It's not often you see a baby outside without some kind of hate on here.

Panzee Sat 16-Jul-11 17:41:29

HowToLookGoodGlaikit you and I can sit in the naughty corner, snurking. grin

MsPlaced Sat 16-Jul-11 17:58:39

because they are hideous and no-one wants them?

stupefy Sat 16-Jul-11 18:00:05

Because we have better taste?

Stillchuckingit Sat 16-Jul-11 18:00:24

What's hideous about them? They just look like normal, plain hats to me. Babies don't need embellishment.

My personal bugbear at the moment is that most coats sold on-line for dc (other than formal wool ones) seem to be short. Every year I struggle to find a LONG, rain-proof, padded coat for my dd (who wears a pinafore as part of her uniform). We walk to school in all weathers and I want a coat that goes down to her knees. Retailers seem to be putting all their efforts in to making little fashionable, mini-me outfits, rather than garments that are hard-wearing and WARM.

BooyHoo Sat 16-Jul-11 18:02:53

i love those hates with ties on blush

LadyThumb Sat 16-Jul-11 18:11:24

My Mum knits clothes and hats for tiny babies in hospital - they are only allowed to knit 'beanie' hats nowadays.

Tarlia Sat 16-Jul-11 18:17:48

How many small babies are left alone with a hat on anyway, that ties would become a problem? Baby should not wearable hat whilst sleeping, unless premie, but then you would want the most comfy hat not a hat that little hands will pull off. You'd be very stupid careless if you managed to strangle a baby with a hat with short ties.

yearningforthesun Sat 16-Jul-11 18:34:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

deliakate Sat 16-Jul-11 18:58:03

I have bought some.

Re. leaving a sleeping baby unattended with one on - I guess mums used to do this all the time in the days of leaving the pram outside for 2 hours of fresh air crying inconsolably where nobody could hear them.

So no hats with ties in the UK is the rule?

oldraver Sat 16-Jul-11 18:58:22

You can still buy in this country similar style of hats

here

I think we are less bothered bothered by hats in England anyway (I have read from MNers who live in or are German)

deliakate Sat 16-Jul-11 18:59:59

huge pompom

ChunkyPickle Sat 16-Jul-11 19:03:10

Bonnets? I just don't think they're in fashion really...

I can see that people could be concerned by the ties, but we had chin straps on all our woolly hats as otherwise he would pull them over his eyes or off.

The Gender police will be after me, but I wouldn't put my little boy in a bonnet. I'd have trouble resisting a nice frilly one on a girl though (especially if the little girl was as bald as my boy)

Meglet Sat 16-Jul-11 19:05:35

You can get sun hats with ties in this country. I know I bought / was given a couple, I snipped the ties off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now