Talk

Advanced search

aibu to think I should be able to buy one

(25 Posts)
microfight Sat 16-Jul-11 11:54:01

piece of fruit or veg of my choice at the supermarket not be limited to bags of the stuff.
I went into to the supermarket wanted to buy an orange for a recipe, not only were they only sold in bags of 6 but they were on 2 for 1. Surely the supermarkets have a green responsibility to allow people to buy just what they need not force them to buy shed loads no matter how cheap it is because most of the time it ends in land fill.

catgirl1976 Sat 16-Jul-11 12:00:29

Try your local greengrocer smile Appreciate sometimes a supermarket is more convenient sometimes though

keysinthefridge Sat 16-Jul-11 12:01:08

YANBU. It's so annoying, and so wasteful.

keysinthefridge Sat 16-Jul-11 12:01:54

Not everyone has a local greengrocer catgirl sad

HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 16-Jul-11 12:04:53

I can't think offhand of many fruits/veg where you don't have the option of buying individual pieces. Small satsuma type oranges maybe but I have def bought individual oranges in the past, although I respect they may be out of stock or not available in smaller stores.

catgirl1976 Sat 16-Jul-11 12:08:56

Or you could make marmalade smile

Sirzy Sat 16-Jul-11 12:17:41

I have never had a problem buying one piece of fruit in asda would find it annoying to be limited to the bags though

confuseddotcodotuk Sat 16-Jul-11 12:18:03

YANBU. I had to do the same last week, whole bag of clementines when I was only using 4. Fair enough it was half of the packet, but the half not used weren't eaten... And when I'm out for a walkabout and pop in to grab some bread and cheese for lunch in a park, I wouldn't mind one apple to go with it. Me and my friend used to drive around the UK a lot for work and we ended up throwing out so much fruit/veg because we couldn't actually eat it all!

microfight Sat 16-Jul-11 12:39:39

Not all of the fruit and veg is in bags but here's some examples from my last visit where I wanted to buy individuals

4 peaches in one of those cardboard packaging things
small kids bananas only sold in plastic wrapped 6's
chillis packets of 12
oranges in netting with 6 but 2 for 1 so minimum 12
radishes massive bags only
English apples only sold in 6 bags again 2 for 1 so 12 minimum!!

I have a local market but it's only open odd times so I use it when I can. I also used able and cole for a while but found I wasn't using all the veg as I'm not that free spirited as a cook, so rather buy exactly what I need.

chirpchirp Sat 16-Jul-11 12:42:47

I have been know to rip open a bag of peppers in the supermarkent if I'm just after one red pepper for a spag bol. If they usually sell them individually but only have bags of multiples left I see nothing wrong with this.

HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 16-Jul-11 12:46:25

If something is 2 for 1 there is nothing stopping you from buying just 1 and leaving other on shelf for someone that won't put it in landfill

(admits I don't leave the free one for shop to profit from)

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Sat 16-Jul-11 12:47:01

My local sainsubry's has most fruit and veg separate.

oranges they do separate, but not kiwis.

I have to say, though, that if I have to buy more of the item because it's packaged that way, I will find a way to eat it.
Like, i don't normally eat oranges, but we had 4 in our veg box (yo udon't get to choose what you get), and we ate them all.
they were very nice, too, if a little sticky grin
(and it gives me an excuse to use the tupperware orange peeler....)

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Sat 16-Jul-11 12:47:28

you can grow your own radishes - even if you haven't got a garden, you can do them in a window box or a pot.

microfight Sat 16-Jul-11 12:53:02

I already grow my own herbs and tomatoes, have a postage stamp size garden. Was thinking about getting a black bin for spuds hmm

Yes those 3 bags of peppers and also onions! I like that you have separated them in the past chirpchirp

I had thought I giving oranges to someone else who wanted them but really please let me just buy what I need

TrillianAstra Sat 16-Jul-11 12:55:37

ARe you at Morrissons?

peeriebear Sat 16-Jul-11 12:56:21

Our Asda and Morrisons have pretty much everything available loose. I do prefer to use our local greengrocer though (last time I bought a bunch of 6 bananas, a bag of 6 Cripps pink apples, a punnet of 6 pink pears and a bag of about ten plums... £3.60 all in!)

microfight Sat 16-Jul-11 12:57:40

No Tesco is our local one

LadyClariceCannockMonty Sat 16-Jul-11 13:01:01

Sadly supermarkets (and all money-making concerns) have no responsibility to anyone or anything beyond their shareholders, and that responsibility is to make money. They sell things on offer and in bulk because it's more tempting for shoppers and therefore more lucrative for them.

Voting with your wallet is the only way to get your point across as shops respond to what customers are perceived to want. Write to the supermarket to tell them that you didn't buy and will continue not to buy your fruit there, and explain why. And buy an orange elsewhere.

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Sat 16-Jul-11 13:04:57

ooh, yes, spuds in bins is good.
smile
we did that for the first time last year, and it's so easy when they're ready, you just tip them out grin

microfight Sat 16-Jul-11 13:20:12

oh nearlyheadless how did you do the spuds?

Bunbaker Sat 16-Jul-11 13:24:23

You don't even need a bin for spuds. I cut a grow bag in hald last year, made a few holes in it for drainage and planted a potato in each half. I also planted some in the garden. The grow bag potatoes were ready before the ones in the flowerbed. You do need to keep on top of the watreing though.

This was not an original idea. I copied it from Jamie Oliver and it works brilliantly.

Empusa Sat 16-Jul-11 13:25:03

The one that annoys me is spinach. I like it, DH doesn't. And unless I had it in every single meal there is no way on earth I'd get through the massive packets of it. They really need smaller bags.

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Sat 16-Jul-11 13:26:24

put some broken pots or polystyrene packing pieces in the bottom of the bin for drainage
fill the bin with compost upto about 6 inches, then put in the potato sprout/things (baby brain means i can't remember what they're called!! shock ) - then put another couple of inches of compost to cover them.

water as you would.
when the green leaves start coming through, cover them with compost, and keep doing that til lyour bin is nearly full (i say about 6 inches from the top).
keep watering etc until the leaves die off, then tip the bin over to get at the potatoes.

my good advice is, that if you use broken pots as drainage, don't be tempted to swish your hands/fork in to get the potatoes - you will rip your hand open and end up with a compost-filled cut (blush )

NearlyHeadlessnickelbabe Sat 16-Jul-11 13:27:15

Empusa - i always freeze the spinach.
you can't use it in salad, but it's perfectly fine for cooked food. smile

microfight Sat 16-Jul-11 13:57:06

thank you
Yes I wish they did smaller bags of spinach too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now