Talk

Advanced search

To think we should be able to hide posts by certain people?

(248 Posts)
IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Sat 16-Jul-11 08:50:08

Not sure if this has been suggested but anyway, there are certain posters I just can't stand. They never say anything bad enough to warrant reporting but I just always get the feeling that they are trying to get a reaction or deliberately saying the opposite to everyone else to get a rise.

I never reply, because I feel that would give them attention they don't deserve but they do annoy me. I read the posts before I see the poster's name as in sure many of you do and I think it would be useful to be able to just hide all posts by a particular person within a thread instead of hiding the whole thread.

So Aibu?

basingstoke Sat 16-Jul-11 08:52:49

The threads would make no sense. I think if you are going to post on a talk board you have to accept that there will be some people you really don't like.

Tee2072 Sat 16-Jul-11 08:53:06

It has been suggested before and I've seen it done quite effectively on other kinds of message boards. I am not sure it would work well with MN's layout, however.

But I do agree there are many posters I'd love to hide and never see their bullshit posts again!

Tee2072 Sat 16-Jul-11 08:58:19

Oh and the idea that the threads will make no sense is bull.

First of all, done properly, there will be a message inserted saying 'You have hidden Tee2072's posts' not just a blank spot in the thread.

Second of all, only the person who has hidden the poster will know they've hidden the poster, everyone else would see the post. So how would it make holes in the thread for anyone else?

People need to go to other message boards and see how things are done before they reject them out of fear or ignorance.

IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Sat 16-Jul-11 08:59:14

Basingstoke, the people I'm thinking of make no useful contributions anyway so it wouldn't really make much difference to the flow of a thread wink

If I were in charge grin I'd make it so you could still see the top banner of a post, so you can see who posted and when etc, but the content just wouldn't be there. There would also be a "show post" button incase you want to torture yourself by reading their crap you want to have a peek as a one off.

That's how I'd do it anyway if I were in charge [sigh]

youarekidding Sat 16-Jul-11 09:00:47

Personally No I don't think we should. Not much of a discussion board if everyone agreed and hid the posts of people that didn't.

youarekidding Sat 16-Jul-11 09:02:52

x posts.

Only thing with that is people who aren't known very well, new, etc may never get their posts open. They may have something valuable to contribute.

FourThousandHoles Sat 16-Jul-11 09:03:05

I wouldn't use it, I like to read every post in a thread especially even the inflammatory or stupid ones

Wouldn't bother me if the facility was there for other people to use though <shrug>

BelleDameSansMerci Sat 16-Jul-11 09:03:10

I'd like a column in Active Threads that shows the OP too...

wtfdoido Sat 16-Jul-11 09:03:29

I dont think it would work in that you would hide a certain persons messages, so you can feel smug and superior wink and then would probably end up clicking to read their post anyway! Human nature being what it is, as soon as you cant read something you will want to which would make the ability to do that a bit of a waste of time and effort on MNHQs part!

AmazingBouncingFerret Sat 16-Jul-11 09:03:47

It would lead to alot of mistrust and suspision. If one poster accidently misses another posters comment then there would be the "omg have they deleted me?" thoughts.

Or would that just be me??

grin

basingstoke Sat 16-Jul-11 09:04:17

I really don't get why you would want to be on a talk board that is fairly robust and want to hide some people's contributions. I think it would make your own contributions a bit more boring TBH.

Georgimama Sat 16-Jul-11 09:06:34

I don't believe that there is any poster on this board who never makes any kind of useful contribution ever and yet at the same time their posts don't merit reporting. Perhaps you need to be a little more broad minded to people you don't agree with.

filthyfunkproject Sat 16-Jul-11 09:07:16

YANBU - and I know exactly what type of poster you mean. They never say anything delete-able or interesting - they just post irrelevant annoying crap -
So yes, bring it on.

( incidentally - I would have said YABU a few years ago - but I haven't got the patience anymore )

Tee2072 Sat 16-Jul-11 09:08:41

No one is saying that a person would have to unhide a poster to see them but hide them to not see them.

Honestly, do none of you post any where but MN? Seriously?

Delphi forums has a hide poster button and they encourage a person to hide a person rather than report them or continue to engage in a bun fight with them.

It actually makes for much nicer boards in general.

With all the bitching lately about how mean MN is these days, this would be the perfect solution.

The rest of you are just frightened luddites who don't understand technology or how message boards work.

There, now would you all like to be able to hide me? grin

JamieAgain Sat 16-Jul-11 09:09:12

I agree with Georgimama

IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Sat 16-Jul-11 09:11:56

Only the posts of people you want to be hidden would be hidden, so new posters would still be seen and heard.

I welcome arguments and differences but there is literally only a few posters that really seem to me to be simply clever trolls.

I don't want to read the bile they spew but I still want to read the thread so why shouldn't there be an option to get rid of them from my screen?

AmazingBouncingFerret Sat 16-Jul-11 09:12:24

Not really Tee because you're entitled to that opinion and it doesnt offend me so much that I have to avert my eyes! grin

basingstoke Sat 16-Jul-11 09:12:54

God no, I have no idea how these things work. Still find the idea of a conversation where some of the contributors have selective deafness kind if strange.

OriginalPoster Sat 16-Jul-11 09:13:09

I met a lady the other day who had a cat. It was annoying, my dd3 is allergic to cats.

Is that the sort of irrelevant annoying crap you're talking about?

Just don't read it, I just let it wash over me, like ads on TV

Just scroll on by.

Tee2072 Sat 16-Jul-11 09:13:35

Also, no one is saying you have to hide posters, just that they'd like the option!

Thanks Ferret!

BTW I am on several boards where there is a hide poster button. That I almost never use because I am too nosy! But it's nice to know it's there!

AmazingBouncingFerret Sat 16-Jul-11 09:14:02

If they were hidden by you posting on a thread you were reading and people were replying to them, would you not get curious as to what they were saying?

AmazingBouncingFerret Sat 16-Jul-11 09:15:01

Missing somepunctuation in that above comment there... blush

Tee2072 Sat 16-Jul-11 09:15:22

Probably Ferret. That's why you'd have the option to unhide them!

Of course, due to the nature of MN's message board set up, I am usually clueless as to who is speaking to whom anyway. Threaded boards are much easier to follow in that respect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now