Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to feel sad...

(7 Posts)
MissMississippi Sat 16-Jul-11 08:26:19

...that on day 3 of potty training we had an 'accident' today after the first 2 days were so successful?

DS is 2.2

Day 1: (naked waist down), he put all the poos in the potty but not many wees. Day 2: (naked waist down), no accidents at all! [proud Mummy]

Today he used the potty successfully when naked waist down. Later, he asked for shorts on which I agreed to, but although I kept prompting him to use the potty, I then noticed he had done a poo in them.

So I am a little disappointed that it hasn't worked out. Not in him at all! He has done so well grin. But I am not sure what to do next? Do I keep him naked waist down for a week, then try underwear/loose shorts next week? Or try again today with the shorts (or is today too soon)?

I totally realise that it is all early days. The potty training thread is very slow, so I hope to get a faster response here.

Thanks so much!

iwanttoseethezoo Sat 16-Jul-11 08:31:57

Also 2.2 is very young for a boy - although he has done very well. Sadly the novelty wears off after a couple of days and you get accidents. Don't feel sad - accidents will happen for quite a while even once you think they're fully trained!

I would put him in pants that he can easily pull up and down. I've never had mine naked tbh. Just keep reminding him and take him every hour if he doesn't go by himself. And don't worry if it all goes to pot and you have a day or two of constant accidents - he is still very young and you might have to stop for a while and try again in a few months.

faverolles Sat 16-Jul-11 08:33:21

IMO, potty training naked is so much easier than with pants on. I think wearing pants feels slightly like a nappy, so it feels right to poo/wee in them.
Don't feel sad, it's just the frustrating way that potty training goes.
Ds was particularly difficult to train, until we bribed him - chocolate button for a wee, toy car for a poo (had bought a big bag of them from a charity shop). No idea if it was the wrong way to do it, but it worked!

faverolles Sat 16-Jul-11 08:34:35

Hadn't spotted the 2.2. That is quite young for a boy. Both my boys were nearer 3 when I attempted it.

bafanatheSober Sat 16-Jul-11 08:37:57

Although 2.2 is quite young, thats the age DS came out of nappies, he had accidents for the first few days, and then went dry day and night.
I would persevere, but keep him naked from the waist down as much as you can at the moment, until the signals are sorted in his head.

4madboys Sat 16-Jul-11 08:43:00

go naked for a bit longer, my ds1 trained at 18mths, he instigated it! and for a while he was fine nakes but weed in pants and then he graduated to wearing trousers/shorts and still using the potty but had no pants on under them as he would then feel like he had a nappy on.

my other three boys have all been older ie 2-3 and ds4 just trained at just over 3, nakedness has been the way to go, apart from with ds4 who insists on wearing big boy pants and has been fine, one accident in a week! but he is older and was more than ready to do it.

my ds2 had accidents particularly with poo, for a long time, he just didnt like using the potty/toilet for poo and would go and poo in his pants and then change them and i would find poo filled pants (boak)

they are all different but is sounds like he is doing really well tbh smile good luck xx

MissMississippi Sat 16-Jul-11 08:55:57

Thank you so much for the replies and advice. He has seemed ready for ages, he was crouching down to poo at 15 months, sitting on a friends potty and has been dry for long periods of time.

I will stick with the nakedness. I had planned for a week at home as I didn't think he would be doing anything in the potty for the first few days. But as he is so successful naked, I will keep going this way until he is really used to it. Then we can try loose fitting bottoms and see what happens!

I will try to remember to keep you posted next week. thanks! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now