Talk

Advanced search

To go over my boss's head on this one...

(9 Posts)
salempickles Sat 16-Jul-11 08:06:43

I work in a bridal shop which is set to close in the next couple of weeks as they haven't had any interest of buyers yet.

We have a lady coming in again today who is very excited she had found the dress, only problem is as were closing there is no guarantee she would have any fittings or anything, my boss had guaranteed she would definitely get the dress, shes not trying to rip them off or anything but i personally think its a bit crap to take money off someone knowing really whats happening.

Ive been onto the makers website of the dress she has chosen to write a list of other stockists for her, Its bad enough that shes shutting the shop cos shes so lazy and has done nothing to advertise the place at all and left it all to me... having only been there for 5 weeks. I'm loosing my job and i'm pretty sure she knew the state of things when she took me on, yet still did it, and now wants rid of the place as it makes her depressed. The thought of her making more money off some poor unsuspecting person makes me sick. Would you tell this lady the truth....

GollyHolightly Sat 16-Jul-11 08:09:01

Yes I would. It's not like you're going to get the sack for it and you'd be doing the woman buying the dress a big favour. Do you have a job to go to and will your boss be giving you a reference? You might want to get a written reference to use for future applications now, before you let this customer know what's going on.

catgirl1976 Sat 16-Jul-11 08:10:15

If you are sure she will get the dress and she will be told she will have to go somewhere else for fittings etc I am not 100% sure of the problem?

exoticfruits Sat 16-Jul-11 08:15:13

I think it only fair to tell her.I'm sure that she would want to be told.

salempickles Sat 16-Jul-11 08:15:57

There wouldnt be anywhere else to go for fittings though thats the problem. she would simply order the dress and when it comes drop it off at her house, then she's left to organise everything else that we would normally take care of such as alterations or steaming of it. If it was that simple then i would probably think its ok, Just working there though i know how much the mark up is and shes making quite a lot of money when she knows she wont be delivering the goods iyswim.

catgirl1976 Sat 16-Jul-11 08:18:42

Well then I would let her know the shop is closing.

IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Sat 16-Jul-11 08:30:22

I would let her know too smile

Andrewofgg Sat 16-Jul-11 10:48:35

A written reference which you carry around and produce is not much use. (Strictly speaking it is not a reference, it is a "testimonial"). The only reference which is of value is one which a future employer can take up. And if you spill the beans now your present employer might either ignore requests for a reference or give you one which will be truthful but sink you. The word disloyal comes to mind - not that it is far but that she might use it. And if the future employer has candidates without that sort of remark in their references, well, what would you do?

So do what you think right but be aware of the risks.

HeidiKat Sat 16-Jul-11 10:55:05

She will be delivering the goods though. as in the actual dress, maybe you should have a word with your boss about giving the customer a bit of a discount to compensate for not getting her fittings included, I'm sure it won't be that difficult for her to find someone who will do alterations for her if necessary. If your boss says definitely not to the discount then I would consider going over her head.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now