Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to suspect that people whose children have higher than average SATS scores.....

(76 Posts)
seeker Fri 15-Jul-11 20:54:59

....post on here asking for "clarification" of this bizarre, bewildering numerical system starting at 1 moving up in steady increments while anyone whose child has lower than average scores finds out everything they need to know with a simple Google? wink

WhatGoodIsThis Fri 15-Jul-11 20:57:18

YANBU at all. (but you do sound somewhat bitter!)

Pin0t Fri 15-Jul-11 20:58:57

<arf> YANBU. I had to google it as I wanted confirmation of how brilliantly well my DS1 had done <boasts>

seeker Fri 15-Jul-11 20:59:07

Do I? Oops - I was aiming for amused and faintly ironic!

ChasingSquirrels Fri 15-Jul-11 21:00:14

made me laugh

pointythings Fri 15-Jul-11 21:02:51

Try this thread as an antidote - soooo worked for me! smile

biddysmama Fri 15-Jul-11 21:08:53

ds1 got 4b in reading 4c in writing and 3a in maths... hes year 4, can anyone tell e what that means? grin

seeker Fri 15-Jul-11 21:11:47

Bidysmama - that means he's AFM.

GreenEyesandHam Fri 15-Jul-11 21:13:22

YANBU

My ds was given a flat square hat and a big roll of paper tied with ribbon, he's KS1, does anyone know what this means?

biddysmama Fri 15-Jul-11 21:18:05

what does afm mean? im impressed that they managed to get him to do the exams tbh, hes got aspergers and has only been there since february smile

seeker Fri 15-Jul-11 21:19:32

Average For Mumsnet.

Rather good in any other context!

biddysmama Fri 15-Jul-11 21:21:13

lol the fact that he did the tests means more than the results smile

WhatGoodIsThis Sat 16-Jul-11 21:21:15

seeker, maybe i'm projecting!
wink

StayFrosty Sat 16-Jul-11 21:23:55

yanbu wink tis a perrennial mn theme isn't it, up there with per una threads, bf/ff bunfights and 'my dh wants to go to mil's on christmas/mother's day and i am pissed off' threads.

weedle Sat 16-Jul-11 21:32:17

I prefer the outraged thread when their DC's havn't made as much progress as they expected when the next set of results aren't quite as bloody marvelous as they'd bragged they would be hoped grin

ragged Sat 16-Jul-11 21:36:04

Very likely, Weedle. wink

ziptoes Sat 16-Jul-11 21:39:56

Exactly half of children have above average scores in SATs.

LineRunner Sat 16-Jul-11 21:40:44

Why 'bitter'? I thought it was witty.

muffinflop Sat 16-Jul-11 21:42:21

YAsoooooNBU! Why don't people look for other threads on the same subject rather than getting giddy about their child's scores and then stealth boasting pretending they don't know what the score means (and breeeeeathe)?! I've not been on MN long enough to know if this is a yearly thing but god it's annoying!

KilledBill Sat 16-Jul-11 21:42:22

If it makes you feel better, I got way above average in all my SATS throughout school.

Didnt do me any good, my life still turned out shit.

Sats results are infact a precurser to fuck all.

DragonAlley Sat 16-Jul-11 21:45:25

DDs only 9 on her Early Years thingy was for "physical". Does this mean she is going to be a beefy shot-putter?

coccyx Sat 16-Jul-11 21:49:27

You are spot on. plenty of info regarding levels if you google!!

piprabbit Sat 16-Jul-11 21:49:48

I've never seen so many 'levels' questions on MN as we've had this year - it's getting tedious, but some of the replies have been pretty snippy considering that mostly it's just a proud parent wanting a wee boast and not doing down anybody else, pretty innocent stuff really.

I think MN needs a new topic - Parental Boasting. We could post when we feel the need to boast, all the replies would have to be positive, and the topic could be easily hidden grin.

ragged Sat 16-Jul-11 21:50:05

Eer, I think that's wrong, ziptoes; half would have above the median, but more or less than 50% may have above average results. And at the end of the day it's an ordinal measure/target not a ratio value, nor is it standardised in any way (I believe).
Difference between average and median.
Ratio vs. categorical data.

bibbitybobbityhat Sat 16-Jul-11 21:50:18

Heh heh.

I posted asking for advice on what the sats levels actually mean, (ie. what does a level 2 piece of writing look like as opposed to a level 3) because I was unable to find that information via the great God google.

The person who responded automatically assumed I wanted to know what were average/below average/above average scores in Sats and fired off a fairly scathing reply. When, infact, s/he had not read my question properly and was making some fairly lazy assumptions about me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now