Talk

Advanced search

to be amazed that a 35 year old friend is in a "sulk" with me...

(15 Posts)
glittercheeks Fri 15-Jul-11 15:48:52

because I met up with a mutual friend on Tues for a catch up and didn't invite her because she works full time? Surely at our age yes we can have mutual friends but can also do things seperately if someone isn't available? Had she have been free of course I would have told her about the arrangements.

I didn't bat an eyelid few months ago when she met with said friend for lunch and it was dropped into the conversation a month or so later despite the fact that I am on mat leave and was free!

Is it me or is this playground behaviour?

RuthChan Fri 15-Jul-11 15:54:08

It does seem a little over the top.
I certainly wouldn't sulk over such a thing!

charliejosh Fri 15-Jul-11 15:59:07

she sounds very childish and insecure to me

cat64 Fri 15-Jul-11 16:02:04

Message withdrawn

glittercheeks Fri 15-Jul-11 16:04:16

Mmmm yes, thanks for clarifying my thoughts. I have a feeling its all going to kick off because I can't bear the immaturity of it all and she will no doubt rant and rave about why it wasn't arranged for a weekend. But friend and I are on mat leave so why not, if we want to get out the house for an hour or and have some adult conversation mid-week! Arrrgggghh

pengymum Fri 15-Jul-11 16:10:15

no need for anyone to kick off - if it is mentioned, just state the facts: said friends had already met up recently and caught up with each others news.
Don't apologise or behave in an apologetic manner, just be matter of fact. smile

eurochick Fri 15-Jul-11 16:15:56

It's just insecurity.

glittercheeks Fri 15-Jul-11 16:18:04

Thanks Pengy, yes good points, I have nothing to apologise for. I meant kick off from her not me, I hate confrontation unless really really pushed so I am saying nothing and biting my lip on the pettiness of it all until she comes out from behind her great big sulk rock grin

SinicalSal Fri 15-Jul-11 16:20:35

That would drive me up the wall. Pengymum has the right approach. Matter of fact.
Does she expect you and Other Friend to sit indoors alone all day listening to roaring babies until she's free to participate?

upahill Fri 15-Jul-11 16:20:48

What did she say glittercheeks?
I couldn't be doing with that tbh.

I have friends and those friends have friends and due to various nights out those people have become my friends.
So from knowing one or two people I am now friendly with loads but we don't/can't always go out together.

Out of those friends there are some I invite to gigs but not my original friend.
THere's no point. She's a Northern Soul girl,I like metal. So no hard feelings!!!

glittercheeks Fri 15-Jul-11 16:30:07

She has made some comment on FB which I don't use so knows i won't see it but another friend has mentioned it to me! oh lordy....and now is completely ignoring my calls, texts which is soooo not like her so kind of stands out somewhat! I am shocked she is this insecure tbh given the circumstances.

Bumblequeen Fri 15-Jul-11 17:04:45

In reality people make friends with other people's friends and they may well meet up without the mutual friend. This has happened to me in the past and it was hurtful when my friends became closer with each other than they were with me. I was edged out of the picture completely even though originally I had been the link. Years ago I had a particular friend who always seemed more interested in my friends than she was with me. It made me feel insecure knowing she literally chased to be around them (all effort was made on her part and the phase always passed). Obviously our friendship drifted.

I have had to accept that I do not 'own' anyone. People are free to be close to whom they wish.

TheMagnificentBathykolpian Fri 15-Jul-11 17:07:01

Some folks are scared to death of missing something!

Stop trying to call and text her. If she wants to sulk, let her. Carry on meeting up with your other mate and this one can give you a call when she's grown the fuck up.

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Fri 15-Jul-11 17:21:55

You've been culled, don't try and contact her again.

HeyYouJimmy Fri 15-Jul-11 17:49:24

Do you really want to be friends with someone who acts like a toddler over other mates meeting up while she's working?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now