Talk

Advanced search

to buy a "Just Married" card for a Civil Partnership?

(21 Posts)
sittinginthesun Fri 15-Jul-11 13:26:49

It just says to the Happy Couple, but says "Just Married" as part of the picture on the front. DH thinks is OK, but I'm not sure.

Cheers.

TobyLerone Fri 15-Jul-11 13:29:06

I think it would be fine. Although you can get some great Civil Partnership cards online. Paperchase sell nice ones too.

PissesGlitter Fri 15-Jul-11 13:30:14

you can get civil partnership cards

i wouldnt get the just married one if it was me

MrSpoc Fri 15-Jul-11 13:31:31

Why not i thought civil partnership was just marrage? Why seperate it

motherinferior Fri 15-Jul-11 13:31:54

I'd get a CP one. It's probably absolutely fine, but you're right, they may either feel that they can 'only' have a CP as opposed to a marriage; or that they want a CP instead of a marriage.

(FWIW, I might well consider a CP with my male partner in preference to a marriage!)

AMumInScotland Fri 15-Jul-11 13:32:22

I think it's fine, unless the couple have strong views about the fact that it's not the same as a wedding - either that they feel they ought to be allowed a same-sex wedding, or that they wouldn't want such a thing if it was available. But provided they haven't expressed any strong feelings, I'd say go for it.

motherinferior Fri 15-Jul-11 13:32:59

CP isn't marriage. It's a slightly different deal. Some lesbians and gay men feel v strongly that they are being fobbed off.

And other people, like me, think it's rather glorious not to have all the associations of marriage!

eurochick Fri 15-Jul-11 13:37:08

Just get one that says "congratulations" or something to avoid opening a whole can of worms!

mumblechum1 Fri 15-Jul-11 13:37:18

You can get some nice CP ones in John Lewis.

Kewcumber Fri 15-Jul-11 13:39:00

well it depends how th ehappy couple feel - if they are talking about getting married then a just married reference is just fine if they only talk about their "civil partership" then I guess it would be polite to get a card which doesn;t refer to marriage.

MsTeak Fri 15-Jul-11 13:40:19

Depends on whether they referred to it themselves as "getting married" or something. I prob wouldn't though to be cautious, al ot of people do feel (rightly enough IMO) that CP is a second-class sop rather than equality.

titchy Fri 15-Jul-11 13:42:26

I agree with you. Get a CP card. Why wouldn't you - it not as if they don't exist!

Kewcumber Fri 15-Jul-11 13:46:30

No-one has yet explained to me teh practical differnce between marriage and a civil partnership for someon like me who ould always marry in a civil ceremony.

What is the difference?

sparkle12mar08 Fri 15-Jul-11 13:48:16

I'd stick with a CP card if you can get it tbh.

Unfortunately a civil partnership isn't exactly the same a marriage, and currently only same-sex couples can have a civil partnership, not mixed sex couples. To quote that glorious phrase - "the law is an ass" on this subject.

One would hope we will eventually see the day when mixed sex couples can also have civil partnerships too, though I doubt the Churches of any denominations will ever open up marriage to same sex couples.

sparkle12mar08 Fri 15-Jul-11 13:49:50

There isn't a practical difference really, in terms of protection of the law for next of kin, pensions etc all that stuff. It's just that currently marriage is legally between a couple of different sex, and a civil partnership is between a same sex couple.

MsPlaced Fri 15-Jul-11 13:50:06

The difference is its not marriage. Hetero couples can choose whether to have a civil or otherwise marriage, which are both recognised in law as a marriage. A civil partnership only allows a civil cermony and is determinedly Not-A-Marriage.
They quite simply they do not have the same status under law.

TobyLerone Fri 15-Jul-11 13:52:23

The word 'partnership', as opposed to 'marriage' was chosen specifically so as to avoid causing offence (as much as possible).

It is basically a marriage, but there are subtle differences. I believe the controversy lies with the political aspect:

"Ministers are very careful to avoid using this kind of shorthand - it's almost certain that had they wanted to use such language in the legislation, the Act would have had a far harder time. They stress partnerships are an entirely new legal concept."

(from here)

But a lot of people confuse a civil marriage ceremony with a civil partnership. They are not the same, for the reasons stated in the linked article.

itsybitsy08 Fri 15-Jul-11 13:52:58

I think if they refer to it as 'their wedding' rather than 'their civil ceremony', then a just married card is fine.

vmcd28 Fri 15-Jul-11 13:56:46

why get a "just married card" when there are loads of CP cards on the market? Get moonpig or whatever it's called to do a personalised one for them.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 15-Jul-11 14:00:30

A married one would probably be fine but I'd play it safe and stick to a CP one.

sittinginthesun Fri 15-Jul-11 14:45:05

Thanks everyone. Think my gut feeling is about right. xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now