Talk

Advanced search

To sit in the garden while the cleaner cleans my house?

(35 Posts)
patrickjane Fri 15-Jul-11 12:29:17

is that just too cheeky.?
I've got two spare hours and she's just changed her time, so she will be here when I had planned to chill and eat lunch in the garden

Lisatheonewhoeatsdrytoast Fri 15-Jul-11 12:30:38

I say enjoy the garden and the lunch!

ZZZenAgain Fri 15-Jul-11 12:31:45

I bet she couldn't care less what you do as long as she doesn't feel you are watching her IYSWIM. She probably wouldn't welcome that if she is used to just gettingo n iwth it unsupervised. Do what you want.

AgentZigzag Fri 15-Jul-11 12:32:28

I'm sure she'd prefer you did that than hover over her.

D0G Fri 15-Jul-11 12:32:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Numberfour Fri 15-Jul-11 12:33:30

YANBU. My cleaner came today and I was in my "study" doing my assignment, a bit of fb and bit of MN. If she had not been here, I would be stressing and sweating and crying.

MackerelOfFact Fri 15-Jul-11 12:34:03

YANBU, obviously offer her a drink and make sure she's ok, but other than that do what you want.

LineRunner Fri 15-Jul-11 12:34:17

I want a cleaner.

xstitch Fri 15-Jul-11 12:34:45

TBH if I was your cleaner I would prefer it. I hate having someone peer over my shoulder.

thisisyesterday Fri 15-Jul-11 12:34:58

oh no i hate when that happens.
if i'm in when my cleaner comes I feel compelled to stay in and help her and have a natter blush

crazynanna Fri 15-Jul-11 12:35:21

I used to be a cleaner...and I would want you from under my feet wink

AgentZigzag Fri 15-Jul-11 12:35:42

Hard going No4? What's your assignment on?

Florabeebaby Fri 15-Jul-11 12:36:11

Does everyone have a cleaner....and house staff (!!!!) Cos I don't...but want one now....

peggotty Fri 15-Jul-11 12:36:17

I want to be a cleaner. All these lovely employers worrying about my feelings smile

squeakytoy Fri 15-Jul-11 12:37:36

So long as you get the butler to bring you some iced tea and a cucumber butty, of course YANBU grin

Seriously though, you are paying her, so why worry. I am sure she would rather you do that than tell her you dont need her any more because you are going to do it yourself.

D0G Fri 15-Jul-11 12:40:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bigglewinkle Fri 15-Jul-11 12:44:00

I always try to be out for my cleaners blush (they come as a pair) otherwise they have me, DS and DD to contend with, and we make a right mess getting all the toys out, so that would mean more work.
Incidentally, could I gatecrash this thread with a question? Who gives their cleaner a tip and if so, when and how much?
I gave mine a week's wages and a v small gift at christmas, and a small tip at easter (because DD had just arrived and the place was a shithole! And they did a fab job)

HadAThreesomeWithFredAndGeorge Fri 15-Jul-11 12:49:22

YANBU

I used to be a cleaner and I wouldn't have minded that a jot.

Someone I cleaned for was regularly still in bed when I was there grin

LadyClariceCannockMonty Fri 15-Jul-11 12:50:31

I know how you feel, OP; I have terrible middle-class guilt about employing a cleaner because I come from the most working-class background where such a thing was unimaginable. If I'm home when my cleaner comes I prefer to be visibly working; it helps (a tiny bit) with said guilt! But my advice is to face the fear and have lunch in the garden anyway – she might well prefer not to have you under her feet, and you might find the guilt lessens a bit as you get used to it.

Biggle, I give my cleaner a week's wages at Christmas too, and a small present of nice chocolates or similar. Last year though she gave me and DP a present back (also a box of chocs). I don't quite know what to make of that but hope that she feels that we're all equals!

patrickjane Fri 15-Jul-11 12:52:55

No other staff Flora!!
I adore my cleaner, last week she rearranged my entire towel/linen cupboard.
Bigglewinkle, I give her extra at Xmas, and usually a bottle of wine or something like that. But sometimes I get her a little pressie for her little girl, and she has all the toys and books that ds grows out of. I am constantly looking for more space, no place to store anything!

HadAThreesomeWithFredAndGeorge Fri 15-Jul-11 12:55:11

Ooh i really have cleaner envy. Might be a bit excessive in a 2 bed flat though.

patrickjane Fri 15-Jul-11 12:56:06

Ladyclarice, yes feel very guilty.
Very working class upbringing too

I want a cleaner

<stamps foot>

eurochick Fri 15-Jul-11 13:01:14

I feel very awkward if I am in when my cleaner is there.

I am another one who gives around a week's wages at Xmas (maybe slightly more).

patrickjane Fri 15-Jul-11 13:05:57

It will be the last thing to go because of austerity!
I would save up every penny, it makes my life 100 times easier.
And that feeling when you come in and your house is immaculate is amazing.
Threesome, my house is very small, everything helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now