Talk

Advanced search

gravy - what do you use and is it tasty ?

(15 Posts)
sparkle1977 Fri 15-Jul-11 11:39:23

Just wondering what gravy people use ?

I currently use Bisto Best (beef flavour) which is lovely. However I have eaten out a few times recently and had some really lovely gravys so my thoughts have turned to changing brand maybe.

What gravy do you use ?

Please no one fancy come along and suggest making my own because I am not that way inclined!! wink

Malificence Fri 15-Jul-11 11:43:10

I've found that the absolute best gravy granules to use are Morrisons own, Bisto is a bit too overpowering for me personally.
To make tasty gravy I use all the meat juices then the veg/potato water in equal amounts, potato water gives extra oomph to the gravy and helps it thicken, one thing I hate is thin, watery gravy, I like my gravy in slices smile.

sausagesandmarmelade Fri 15-Jul-11 11:43:19

Sometimes I make my own...because when we do have a meal that needs it it's cooked at the weekend when I have more time.

But I have a pack of good old bisto chicken and gray granules in the cupboard for when instant gravy is needed.

No problem with that!

frownieface Fri 15-Jul-11 11:44:05

The best gravy is home made using the juices from a roast joint. Imho bisto and the like just taste of salt. smile

voicesinthedark Fri 15-Jul-11 11:44:34

YABU!

Thingumy Fri 15-Jul-11 11:46:43

Bisto best here too when having a 'dry' meal (ie no joint to make gravy from scratch)

knittedbreast Fri 15-Jul-11 11:46:46

the nicest gravy uses a veg or beef stock cube, a spoon or so of borvil, juices from all veg and any meat with corn flower to thicken.

mmmm

gravy is one of most favourite things in the whole world

Geordieminx Fri 15-Jul-11 11:48:43

And this is in AIBU for what reason????

There is a food and a recipe section you know!

GingerWrath Fri 15-Jul-11 11:50:55

This s the best gravy. Works for beef pork and lamb too. I make a big batch on a sunday and freeze some for use during the week.

BerryMojito Fri 15-Jul-11 11:53:42

Schwartz packet of beef gravy - very rich and tangy. I always make it with the veg water and pour in meat juices. Add a slug of Marsala if you want even more taste! Mmmm!

bamboobutton Fri 15-Jul-11 11:53:50

i make my own too but have bisto onion gravy in for those left-chicken-in-too-long emergencies

sausagesandmarmelade Fri 15-Jul-11 11:55:30

Wine is a good addition....

sparkle1977 Fri 15-Jul-11 11:59:24

Deerrrrr apologies for putting in AIBU, should have been in chat.

Thanks for all the great suggestions tho.

I must admit to never having made my own but am very fearful as MIL makes her own and its really thin and watery ? I much prefer quite thick very tasty gravy.

HowlingBitch Fri 15-Jul-11 12:00:51

Mmmm... Is is too early for gravy?

QueenofJacksDreams Fri 15-Jul-11 12:01:37

The best way to make gravy with Bisto is to add in some fat and juice from your roast/sausages/chops whatever then make it up allow it to stand and heat through in the microwave for 5 minutes before dinner.

It might sound silly but its how my Nan always made hers and her roast dinners are the stuff of legends especially when finished off with bread and gravy <drools>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now