Talk

Advanced search

To ask them to come in the car, I am really.

(109 Posts)
yearningforthesun Fri 15-Jul-11 10:09:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

valiumredhead Fri 15-Jul-11 10:11:16

It's going to cost you £33 for a few child free days - suck it up ime!

LineRunner Fri 15-Jul-11 10:12:08

What a faff!

Offer them the whole petrol cost, then. That would only be, what, £15 max?

Aworryingtrend Fri 15-Jul-11 10:12:35

Pay it. They are offering free childcare which would cost you a darn sight more than £33!

halcyondays Fri 15-Jul-11 10:12:48

Only £33 for several days of blissful peace and quiet. Sounds like a bargain to me.

sis Fri 15-Jul-11 10:12:49

Why not offer your dad £20 for petrol?

GypsyMoth Fri 15-Jul-11 10:12:57

I think the cost is worth it for the break! And for the dc to see gp

This is kind of thing I would use my child benefit for, and save some accordingly.

DogsBestFriend Fri 15-Jul-11 10:13:07

Offer to pay the petrol fees then.

£33 for peace and quiet for a few days sounds like a bargain to me!

MorelliOrRanger Fri 15-Jul-11 10:14:11

Petrol costs are extortionate these days if you don't drive you won't understand.

Have a nice few days without your DC's and appreciate your parents for letting you do this.

<--- agrees with Valium but hates the saying 'suck it up'

brownleatherbrogues Fri 15-Jul-11 10:14:34

£33 wouldnt fill half of my tank

do you pay them for your kid's food and board or pay them for the trips they go out on, admission fees, pub lunches etc?

yousankmybattleship Fri 15-Jul-11 10:16:31

£33 for free childcare - and your children get a fun ride on the train to see their grandparents? Absolute bargain! If you're going to complain about it they can have my kids!

LineRunner Fri 15-Jul-11 10:16:37

I'd pay the petrol just to avoid the train horror.

yearningforthesun Fri 15-Jul-11 10:16:42

valiumredhead Fri 15-Jul-11 10:16:43

<--- agrees with Valium but hates the saying 'suck it up'

I save it for special occasions, short and to the point! grin

valiumredhead Fri 15-Jul-11 10:17:50

Well, if you can't afford it, tell them you can't afford it and see if they offer to come and get him then confused

GypsyMoth Fri 15-Jul-11 10:18:09

You have had time to put by a bit each week surely. Use the child benefit then?

How would you feed them? Use the money you will save on food

brownleatherbrogues Fri 15-Jul-11 10:18:32

so you arent saving money but not having to feed/entertain them for the days they are at granny's?

BlueFergie Fri 15-Jul-11 10:22:54

Well if you can't afford it they can't go can they?
Maybe your parents can't afford the petrol or have some other reason that they don't want to drive down. Frankly since they are the ones doing you the favour I don't think it is too onerous an expectation that you should be the one to get your kids there. it s bit much for you to feel they should shoulder the expense of transporting the kids as well. Its not their fault you don't drive.

Like I said if you can't afford it then you can't do it, plenty of things I can't afford for my kids to do.

yearningforthesun Fri 15-Jul-11 10:23:44

yousankmybattleship Fri 15-Jul-11 10:26:02

I don't know what you want people to say. If you can't afford it then they can't go - end of story. I don't think you'll find many people willing to say that your parents are being unreasonable though when they are offering free childcare and only asking you to deliver your children.

GypsyMoth Fri 15-Jul-11 10:26:25

Well rearrange for another time

halcyondays Fri 15-Jul-11 10:27:07

It will still cost them money to feed them while they're looking after them though, won't it?

Is any of the food you've already bought not freezable or stuff that will keep in the cupboard?

yearningforthesun Fri 15-Jul-11 10:27:16

GypsyMoth Fri 15-Jul-11 10:29:35

You sound resentful of your parents

BlueFergie Fri 15-Jul-11 10:32:11

Well if its going to cause a row don't say the you can't afford to send them. Thats unfair on your parents as it will put them under pressure to pay. Just say that the timing doesn't suit and try and organise another time when you have had a bit of time to save.

I find the attitude that because your parents can afford it they should pay quite strange. I don't think things operate on the basis of espenses being paid by those who can afford them rather than those who incurr them. I don't go out for dinner with my friends and expect them to pay for me because they earn more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now