Talk

Advanced search

to think that making a spelling or punctuation mistake doesn't mean

(80 Posts)
SkipToTheEnd Fri 15-Jul-11 07:45:32

I'm less of a person or not worthy of the advice I'm asking for?

I don't want to start a bun fight or anything. I just find it difficult to understand why some people take such offence to mistakes.

bought/brought - if you can't use them correctly I will ridicule you and refuse to offer any useful advice.

If you don't put in the correct amount of punctuation I will state you're not fit to look after my children hmm

When did it become ok to bully someone for making mistakes like this? If they offend your overinflated sense literary justice can you not just leave the thread and not return? Someone who is posting for some kind of help could probably do without being told they are inferior people.

Rant over. Maybe.

usualsuspect Fri 15-Jul-11 07:50:03

Has that happened to you ?

Goblinchild Fri 15-Jul-11 07:53:53

I agree that it's rude, but the OP you are referring to was capable of punctuating her words correctly, she just didn't choose to in her first block of text.
Some people find it very hard to read an unpunctuated slab of text and said so. She got some useful suggestions and questions as well.

SkipToTheEnd Fri 15-Jul-11 07:53:59

Something I first posted a long time ago under a different NN yes.

It happened to a friend that I directed here a while ago too. She is dyslexic and felt truly awful afterwards. I'd told her to come here for advice because it can be an amazing place for support.

But it's something I've seen a lot of recently. I don't know if it's getting worse or if I'm just more sensitive to it but it seems very bullying to me.

It's sad sad

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 15-Jul-11 07:56:11

YABU.... Few will pick up spelling mistakes in threads unless the poster is making some high-handed remark about how education standards have fallen, is claiming intellectual superiority or is accusing others of being thick. Then the irony tends to get pointed out. The other exception is if the person starting the thread does so in one great long paragraph or so badly written that makes the problem impossible to understand. Then they might get asked to break it up a bit if they want more answers.

Goblinchild Fri 15-Jul-11 07:58:11

I've seen posters not criticise, but cut and paste and punctuate and spellcheck for the OP.
Would you find that insulting?

SkipToTheEnd Fri 15-Jul-11 07:58:43

I know Goblin, I find it hard to read OP's like too but I just find it hard to understand why it deems them less worthy of help?

The whole 'you're unintelligent so I can ridicule you' undertone is disgusting.

She may have got some useful suggestions but really, if 30 people said nice things and 3 said something horrible, I bet you'd always remember the horrible stuff first.

I honestly just don't see the need. It doesn't make you look big or clever. Just a bully.

Do people really feel the world will be a better place if they correct a spelling mistake?

usualsuspect Fri 15-Jul-11 07:59:59

I don't generally care ,but someone called me a name the other day and spelt it wrong,which did make me laugh grin

SkipToTheEnd Fri 15-Jul-11 08:01:54

I don't know Goblin - I guess if it was done without criticism maybe not?

I understand the thing about the whole OP being done with no full stops, paragraphs etc but does it have to be made into such a big deal?

It's like some people find it enjoyable to point and laugh sad

RalphGnu Fri 15-Jul-11 08:04:14

I will hold up my hand and admit to being guilty of doing this last night, but in my defence the person was being a bit of a cow and trying to wind me up. I told her if she was going to patronise/insult me to use the correct grammar and punctuation.

As much as I would be tempted to, I wouldn't do it in response to someone who was genuinely asking for help or advice. I know that when I'm upset I don't care about spelling/grammar/punctuation. smile

SkipToTheEnd Fri 15-Jul-11 09:05:06

Ralph, I can see why you'd want to do that to be honest!

It's not like I don't notice things too. I really don't get on with text speak - it makes my brain ache! But if I could see what the person was saying and they were asking for advice which I might be able to offer I'd help rather then point it out.

It's like some people sit here with and imaginary red pen and play teacher all day.

Why do some people get such pleasure out of it? I am generally curios.

If you do it, why?

TheDeathlyMarshmallows Fri 15-Jul-11 09:23:51

That Op was asked to re-do her first post because for most people - myself included - it was totally unreadable. We can't help if we can't work out what's wrong!!

The brought/bought thing is my personal bug-bear. It's the wrong word for christ sake!! Although rather than criticise the Op, I tend just to stop reading before I'm too tempted to correct. My spelling and punctuation isn't perfect but I really can't stand that one.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Fri 15-Jul-11 09:28:44

People should use the proper punctuation, even if it is a full stop. It is not hard to do so! The correct spelling also helps!

I personally hate posts which are 10 lines of no punctuation, all in capitals, use "text" language or are badly spelt.

It is a valid point that if a childminder has dreadfully bad spelling and punctuation then she will attract comments about her ability to teach little children.

thestringpeople Fri 15-Jul-11 09:30:27

I don't like it, it is snobby and unecessary.

I do admit to ignoring posts without paragraphs or full of text speak. I would never post a negative comment, I just find them impossible to read.

echt Fri 15-Jul-11 09:32:05

Like it or not, OP, communication is the essence here.

Some posters have made it clear they move on if a post is in Shitspeak sorry text or non-standard punctuation.

The same will happen if they apply for a job. On MN, we're not your mates, at least on first acquaintance. Any poster should attempt to communicate clearly. This is not snobbery

thestringpeople Fri 15-Jul-11 09:38:21

Hmm I have just seen the post I think you are posting about. It really didn't make any sense.

Is it a trend to ignore punctuation?

I note that my teenage nieces write really long posts full of text speak without a full stop in sight. They may as well be talking double dutch cause I haven't got a bloody clue! Perhaps it is a deliberate ploy to exclude the over 30's.

SkipToTheEnd Fri 15-Jul-11 09:43:05

I get people might not like it but why be so mean about it? Walk away.

Yes echt communication is important here but really all some posters communicate is that they feel they have a superior intellect because of their ability to punctuate, use grammar or spell correctly.

So what about Dyslexia? Or people who don't speak English as a first language? Are they not allowed to post in case it offends someone who deems themselves beyond reading anything other the perfect English?

breatheslowly Fri 15-Jul-11 09:46:02

So would you rather people ignored requests for help that were difficult to understand or that they requested a punctuated version so that they could then attempt to provide some advice? You can't have it both ways.

SkipToTheEnd Fri 15-Jul-11 09:48:23

I don't think it's about ignoring punctuation. I think it's about adopting a 'better then you' attitude towards other posters.

The threads I mentioned are just examples I'd seen today. And actually mild ones at that.

The ones that really make me sad are those that are obviously written when they OP is extremely upset. You can sometimes tell that they have been written through tears and that the poster is just simply trying to get it out but then they get kicked for leaving out a few fullstops. It's not needed.

SkipToTheEnd Fri 15-Jul-11 09:49:54

I think it's possible to read a post like that slowly and decide yourself where the punctuation would go. I don't think it's that hard if you have a moment.

DuelingFanjo Fri 15-Jul-11 09:49:55

I think it's important that apostrophes are used correctly and that it's very simple to learn the difference between their, there and they're and so on. I admit that I would look down on someone in an education or professional role who got these things wrong.

However I wouldn't pick on someone here for incorrect grammar and spelling if they were asking for help. Like someone has said, if they were obviously trolling or being a twat then I probably would say something.

As far as dyslexia goes I know nothing about it really but am interested to know if being dyslexic means you can't use correct grammar?

By the way - I was a terrible speller at school but I do make an effort to check my spelling and to learn and remember. I spelled definitely wrongly for years, and ridiculous but once this was pointed out to me I remembered what I was doing wrong and make sure I spell them the right way now.

Surely people pointing these things out is helpful?

Firawla Fri 15-Jul-11 09:50:24

Yanbu. My typing is not always great and I would find it quite rude if people use that as an excuse not to give advice but just to have a go at the OP, its just not necessary.

Carminagetsprimal Fri 15-Jul-11 09:51:27

Even though I live life on the pedantry edge - I do judge others.
A post full of spelling mistakes with little or no punctuation - I wouldn't reply. Sorry.

SkipToTheEnd Fri 15-Jul-11 09:52:00

or indeed if you have the inclination. But people don't. They judge it the second they see and don't even attempt to read it.

Your choice entirely but if you find the time/effort to post something nasty you could have worked out the OP in the first place really.

DuelingFanjo Fri 15-Jul-11 09:53:43

I also think it's quite easy to tell the difference between someone who just can't spell and someone who's first language isn't English.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now