Talk

Advanced search

to hate when people say "I don't do it when I have the kids with me..."

(33 Posts)
ElfOnTheTopShelf Thu 14-Jul-11 21:02:44

when talking about drink driving / speeding in their cars. Just because the driver doesn't have their own children in the car doesn't make it right, what about the people in the street / other cars who may get hurt in an accident?

I have heard several people say this over the past few weeks and it drives me crazy!

GypsyMoth Thu 14-Jul-11 21:03:33

well they are lying (ex police officer)

ashamedandconfused Thu 14-Jul-11 21:05:18

YANBU

the arrogance of some people is unbelievable, they think they are better than evryone else and above the law. they are excellent drivers and totally unaffected by alcohol. They will be ok

Till the day they aren't.........

Meglet Thu 14-Jul-11 21:06:46

yanbu. I'm not sure what I would do if someone said that to me.

(I was on the verge of saying yabu as I assumed this would be about smear tests / hairdressers).

fruitshootsandheaves Thu 14-Jul-11 21:08:16

This week I was walking my dogs and a police car drove past me and....I slowed down...WTF?...it's not as if I speed anyway but what was going on in my head that i slowed down whilst walking??

fruitshootsandheaves Thu 14-Jul-11 21:08:53

<sorry that was completely irrelevant to the thread...just ignore me[ grin]>

ElfOnTheTopShelf Thu 14-Jul-11 21:19:21

I just don't get the logic of it. I think everybody has the tendancy to sometimes go over the speed limit (I did the other day, realised I was doing 35 in a 30) but I know a few people who drive like idiots but justify that its okay because they drive more sensibly when they have the children with them.

itsybitsy08 Thu 14-Jul-11 21:25:50

I would say "oh thats fine then, at least you are only killing someones elses. Twat."

Makes me so angry. I had a stand up row with my boss because he thought he was a good driver and could therefore drive at 40+mph in built up areas so he got home quicker.

Well he wasnt going to get home any quicker on the night he mowed someone down and killed them was he.

Idiots. My grandma and grandma were nearly killed when they were wiped off the road by someone speeding. angry

DogsBestFriend Thu 14-Jul-11 21:29:46

I'm a Clarkson worshipping petrol-head so can see the joys of fast driving in the right circumstances - ie on a clear open road when the only person you can kill is yourself but drink driving... angry

Anyone who admitted that to me would immediately cease to be a friend or would be cut out from what I considered family. Anyone I caught about to do it would be finding their car keys taken from them and/or the Police called, anyone found doing it would be reported immediately and I'd fight for the whole nine yards of legal action to be taken against them.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Thu 14-Jul-11 21:31:20

We stopped our DD doing out with some family members when we discovered they were drinking in the pub and driving.

itsybitsy08 Thu 14-Jul-11 21:37:33

Oh yes, if someone had been drinking and got into their car, i would have no hesitation in calling the police, no matter who they were.

Meglet Thu 14-Jul-11 21:41:01

My neighbour always drives on her mobile, no seatbelt, doesn't indicate. I've yelled at her and reported her to the police but they can't do anything until they catch her, although they were very nice and took all her details. Would be pretty easy to catch her as she does it every day and leaves for work about the same time angry. I hate the bloody woman.

cheesesarnie Thu 14-Jul-11 21:41:25

itsy ive called on a family member.

op yanbu.its not just the other people they might hurt but the dc(and the rest)that they might leave behind.

itsybitsy08 Thu 14-Jul-11 21:45:32

Good on you cheesesarnie. I know some people may think its harsh, but having seen and experienced the devastation dangerous driving causes, i applaud you.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Thu 14-Jul-11 21:46:42

Gosh, I forgot about mobile phones, another thing I had when people are driving. I am terrible, I have been known to yell at people when I see them on their phones.

I havent driven in ages (about a year) because DH used to take the car to work, and then I got too big during my pregnancy. However, I'm on mat leave and have a new car, so I am back on the road, and remembering how much driving can be annoying! I do love to drive, but the people up your arse even though you're doing the speed limit, grrrr!

Meglet Thu 14-Jul-11 22:23:43

I'm glad someone else yells at people on their mobiles. I only do it when they are about to drive off or at a junction though, not when moving. Fuck knows why they do it. Obviously fancy being cut out of their car or up in front of a judge.

blackeyedsusan Thu 14-Jul-11 22:28:28

yanbu.

i think the answer further up about only killing someone elses child would be a good one.

YANBU.

And weirdly, I was thinking the same thing today because of a book I was reading (The Hidden Child by Camilla Lackberg, not a bad read but I worked out the plot too early) when the lead male character, a policeman, was thinking about how he drives more carefully and within the speed limit when his daugher was also in the car. Since the author had made a point of him being a reckless and very bad driver at other times I feld oddly provoked for all the other fictional adults and children he might kill at other times simply because his daughter was safe at home while he drove around like a manic.

So I totally agree, it makes no difference if their own children are in the car or not, if they have or cause a crash then they are still harming or killing someone elses. And they are prepared to leave their own children orphaned in the process or coping with a parent who is in prison or disabled through their own selfish acts.

SortingHardHat Thu 14-Jul-11 23:05:36

YANBU I detest irresponsible drivers. You're sat in charge of a lethal weapon when are people going to drive like they know this information?

A1980 Thu 14-Jul-11 23:21:53

My friend said that once. She'll speed if she doesn't have her children in the car. Nice of her.... fuck everyone elses DC's then.

The selfishness is beyond belief

A1980 Thu 14-Jul-11 23:23:21

PS one of my other friends said that she wished she hadn't got an iPhone as the text facility needs two hands to use and she can't text while driving anymore. shock

I told her she deserved to lose her licence and she looked at me as if I was crazy. She really didn't get it.

AuntiePickleBottom Thu 14-Jul-11 23:27:52

yanbu, as i am drinking tonight i will not drive until saturday...just incase.

Ria28 Fri 15-Jul-11 02:31:09

I'd point out that when their kid isn't in their car it doesn't mean they can't be in the car they crash into...

GiddyPickle Fri 15-Jul-11 08:54:53

YANBU - the utter selfishness of some people is unbelievable and the arrogant assumption that if you profess never to speed or drink drive then you are somehow a lesser driver who deserves pity at not being able to multitask!!

There was a road traffic programme on TV last night that my DS commented on because police were clamping down on "minor" offences and being incentivised to do so ie the police had a target for giving out a set number of fixed penalty notices to discourage them from keep using their discretion and letting people off with a warning. A 60 year old woman on her phone turned into a garage off of a main road and didn't see the oncoming car as she wasn’t concentrating. She wiped out three cars in total and landed a 20 year old girl in hospital with brain injuries that might affect her forever. She herself was barely injured - isn't that always the way?! And the shocking thing was that when the police arrived she wasn't sorry. If I had just caused someone to be airlifted to hospital fighting for their life I would be distraught and beyond sorry yet she sat in her seat shrugging her shoulders as if the whole thing had just been a genuine accident and nobody's fault. Selfish selfish people.

hugeleyoutnumbered Fri 15-Jul-11 08:59:34

I am a firm believer that there should be zero tollerance on drink driving, one is too many IMO, people look for excuses when there are none, it is never ok to drink and drive, with or without children or passengers, it is utterly selfish

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now