Talk

Advanced search

To think British people are getting more health conscious?

(12 Posts)
DarlingDuck Thu 14-Jul-11 20:10:35

I've just read that cancer rates are rising in the UK due to our unhealthy lifestyles. I was under the impression that we were getting more health conscious as a nation, am I wrong?

GypsyMoth Thu 14-Jul-11 20:11:55

well i think it takes time!

AgentZigzag Thu 14-Jul-11 20:14:05

It's always a weigh up between living your life and living based on a potential risk somewhere in a random and unpredictable future.

I suppose a lot of people just get on with it and do the best they can for themeselves and their families.

Tchootnika Thu 14-Jul-11 20:14:49

You're not wrong, but cancer is often related to stress (as well as many other factors outside individuals' control, obv). And the more you worry...

kayah Thu 14-Jul-11 20:15:26

well - you can get overweight on an organic food and become an alcoholic on organic wine/beer too smile

Tchootnika Thu 14-Jul-11 20:16:19

kayah - yes, but it's a lot more expensive this way...

DarlingDuck Thu 14-Jul-11 20:17:11

I keep hearing that there is an obesity crisis here and then that British people are eating organic food and heading to the gym confused

Tchootnika Thu 14-Jul-11 20:18:54

Obesity tends to start in childhood, though. sad
So once it's been set up...

AgentZigzag Thu 14-Jul-11 20:19:55

I'm not overweight, I don't eat organic food and I've never been to the gym.

But I am here smile

tralalala Thu 14-Jul-11 20:23:37

Oh it's far to complex to put it down to being more health aware

of the top of my head

Known main risk factors for cancer:
age (we're getting older)
obesity (we're getting fatter)
smoking (this has gone down)
drinking (this has gone up)
genetics (not sure how this may impact)

Possible risk factors:
particulates in the air (gone down in some areas up in others)
artificial chemicals in food/water/cleaning products/arifreshers/shampoo etc (totally on the increase and if there is an impact likely to be accumulative effect as well as the unknown interactions between the many compounds)

so we may be more health aware but not many of us are much healthier.

DarlingDuck Thu 14-Jul-11 20:23:48

My mum smokes and drinks a lot, so do DH's parents, they all also bake in the sun and don't cook fresh food. No one my age (30) I know smokes and most cook fresh food and do some form of exercise, do you think it could be a generational thing?

kayah Thu 14-Jul-11 20:23:59

I think people are generaly allowing themselfes (includoing me) to eat in order to feel less stressed

can't speak of drinking as I hardly drink

but I agree - amongst my friends there are very few smokers
most exercise
eat sensibly smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now