Talk

Advanced search

To tell you all that my child labelled "thick" "lazy" and "would never achieve anything"

(47 Posts)
yearningforthesun Thu 14-Jul-11 17:22:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hulababy Thu 14-Jul-11 17:26:03

Well done to your DS; amazing progress and what an achievement! No wonder you, and he, are so proud. Deservedly so.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 14-Jul-11 17:26:21

olderyetwider Thu 14-Jul-11 17:27:27

That is fantastic! Bollocks to the head! (and what a twunt to talk about a child that way. I know how elated you feel,My GS was written off by previous school as unlikely ever to understand maths, and got level 4s across the board, including maths!!! (end of year 6). I'm so proud of him (and so glad I moved him)

AgentZigzag Thu 14-Jul-11 17:27:39

I love hearing about ultra successful, happy adults who have been told they were thick/stupid/never amount to anything at school smile

I don't mean I like it that teachers were that crap to not look for the best in them, but they're brilliant examples of why you shouldn't label any children.

Good for your DC, and for you smile

3littlefrogs Thu 14-Jul-11 17:27:50

Did the HT really say that about your child??? shock sad

madhairgirl Thu 14-Jul-11 17:28:16

Well done to your child, I hope they feel a sense of achievement at their hard work. My brother was the same, his headteacher said the same things and told my mother that she shouldn't compare him to her other children, when my mother wasn't, she just knew there was something wrong. I would have hoped things had changed from 20 years ago, but obviously not. If it helps, he went on to do an electrical engineering degree, which was really difficult smile. Good luck to your child.

AgentZigzag Thu 14-Jul-11 17:28:25

Yes, bollocks to the head grin

startail Thu 14-Jul-11 17:29:28

Congratulations to your DC I have a dyslexic DD1 and a DD2 who reads and spells better than I do. The contrast in the amount of effort they have to put in to their work is tremendous. Give you child a huge well done as for the head biscuit or I will swear.

chunkythighs Thu 14-Jul-11 17:30:37

Good on him/her!!!!!grin

Boast away yearning!

TartyMcFarty Thu 14-Jul-11 17:32:02

Well done to your DC, but I don't believe for a minute that a headteacher (or any teacher) would routinely use that language and still be in post.

pigletmania Thu 14-Jul-11 17:33:45

Oh no are there teachers still bantering that about, they did that whilst I was at school. I am dyslexic a d dyspraxic and just for the record I have a BA (hon) psychology 2:1 and an MsC health psychology with merit. So there is lots of hope for your ds, ignore the fecker

fiveisanawfullybignumber Thu 14-Jul-11 17:33:59

Well done to your DC! Dyslexic students have to put in aproximately 10 x more effort than the average student to achieve the same results, so s/he must have worked really hard. Keep helping and encouraging them, it's worth it in the end.
My DD1 (16) is dyslexic and is just about to go to a really good 6th form center, and will take A levels in English Literature & combined RE & Philosophy among others. I know how hard she's worked to get to this point.
An excellent toll to help as they get older is a letter arc to go in the front of a dictionary, and book full of acronyms to help remember spellings of commonly used words. Well done again!

TartyMcFarty Thu 14-Jul-11 17:37:57

With respect piglet, we're talking the last 3 years, not the last 20.

pigletmania Thu 14-Jul-11 17:38:07

We done to your ds. It takes a very good teacher to recognise chikdrens abilities and to bring that out and believe in them. I am sure that there are loads out there but there are many crap ones too like in my school

TartyMcFarty Thu 14-Jul-11 17:38:42

Sorry, I misread your post piglet.

yearningforthesun Thu 14-Jul-11 17:41:11

pigletmania Thu 14-Jul-11 17:41:27

Erm Tracy I am just saying that there is hope and using my story as an example. If it encourages or binge hope to one person it's worth it

pigletmania Thu 14-Jul-11 17:43:16

That's ok tarty sorry got your name wrong

SortingHardHat Thu 14-Jul-11 17:43:28

That is very much something you should be shouting from the rooftops! Well done to them and well done to you too!

LRDTheFeministNutcase Thu 14-Jul-11 17:45:51

Shame on the headteacher - but what a lovely post otherwise!

Congratulations to your DC, and to you too. smile

ashamedandconfused Thu 14-Jul-11 17:50:46

threads like this bring a lump to my throat [soft old sod]

wear your proud mummy badge with pride!

LaWeasleyAintWeaselyAnymore Thu 14-Jul-11 17:54:36

Well done to your DS!! I graduated with a 2.1 too, along with several other dyslexic friends, I was being told I was lazy at that point too... [nods sagely] We're all awesome. grin

Kladdkaka Thu 14-Jul-11 17:59:53

Don't let the miserable sods hold him back. My husband was told the same as a child, he's also dyslexic and autistic. The school even tried to chuck him out of normal classes into remedial type classes. He showed the lot of them. He's now a professor of nuclear chemistry.

yearningforthesun Thu 14-Jul-11 18:03:35

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now