Talk

Advanced search

To think there is no need for such FAFFING on sports day?

(9 Posts)
TakeMeWithYouWhenYouGo Thu 14-Jul-11 16:19:56

Had the nightmarish sports day fiasco yesterday. DS is in year 5 and really didn't want to do it but I encouraged him to at least give it a go. Well what a fucking faff on. I wish I'd kept him off school. It was supposed to start at 1.30 and the kids eventually arrived at 1.40. It then took 25 minutes from the kids sitting down to actually setting up the first race hmm why they couldn't just get on with it I'll never know. So you get 2 sets of year 5 boys doing the race, then two sets of year 5 girls doing the race, then 2 sets of year 6 boys doing the race, then 2 sets of year 6 girls doing the race - I swear to god by time this "event" finished I was practically falling asleep. Then that "event" finished and it took another 20 minutes to organise the next race again with 2 sets of year 5 boys - 2 sets of year 5 girls and so on. The kids were getting bored just sat about, the parents who's idea of a social life isnt centered around their kids primary school were getting bored - then we had the age old "On your marks - get set - hehehehe you went before the whistle!!" OH FFS - it wasn't even funny the first time, the 6th time it's just bleeding annoying!! get on with the fucking race! christ on a moped ........" and then the bean bag in bucket race - lets take 20 minutes to discuss this next race - then we'll take another 10 minutes lining the kids up, then we'll make each child walk forward so many paces in turn with their 3 bean bags - this should eat up another 15 minutes - oh my days just GET ON WITH IT!!!!!!!

And don't even get me started on the fancy dress race.

AIBU in thinking that sports day really doesn't work in schools with over 120 kids doing it on the same day??

GypsyMoth Thu 14-Jul-11 16:29:41

Did you run in the parents race??

intelligenceitself Thu 14-Jul-11 16:56:02

You're lucky your school still dares to do races. Some schools have wierdy sports days now where there are no winners and losers so the spoilt kids don't cry

DeWe Thu 14-Jul-11 17:32:36

Maybe they hadn't got enough races planned for the day and wanted to make sure that they didn't finish early. wink

RustyBear Thu 14-Jul-11 17:36:02

A few days ago, there was a thread with a poster fuming because her child's sports day had finished earlier than expected...

wicketkeeper Thu 14-Jul-11 17:40:43

I'm not surprised your DS didn't want to do it, with this amount of criticism in the air. Lighten up, it's a sports day, not a military manoeuvre.

basingstoke Thu 14-Jul-11 17:44:28

See, my DC's school do a sort of circus of sports day activities - everyone is doing something most of the time. Parents complain about that too...

Hulababy Thu 14-Jul-11 17:45:35

DD's school of 90 always do sports day all together on one day at the local Institute of Sport. Two heats per year group. Each year group do approx 3 events each. But it is well organised and each event is one after another. Starts about 2pm an dis finished, including the presentations and the awarding of the house cup for around 3:30pm.

I work in an infant school and we have all Y1 do their sport's day at the same time - there are 3 classes, so 90 of them. It is a non competitive event though so 9 activities, children put in groups and they move round every few minutes. Lasts about 1.5 hours followed by a picnic in the park and a play onthe playground.

SardineQueen Thu 14-Jul-11 17:58:29

We have DDs sports day tomorrow at nursery - so 2 to 4 year olds.

I didn't make it last year (work) but family who did said it was hilarious, with toddlers all pegging it off in different directions, suddenly stopping and picking their noses half-way along, nearly getting to the finishing line and veering off to see their mum.

Apparently it was like herding cats. I can't wait grin

Might not be your cup of tea, though.

I think you are probably being U, I'm sure the school have organised it as best they can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now