Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think the 'pineapple-on-the-head' look should not return?

(12 Posts)
LaurieFairyCake Thu 14-Jul-11 14:43:58

It's farking hideous and was uber-popular in the 80's. A nasty scrunchie, hair pulled massively tight to the top of the head.

Big floppy hair hanging all down over the face or massively 'scrunched' and backcombed with hairspray.

And worst of all the back of the head is always a totally different colour to the top pineapple because of the roots.

A woman has just walked past my house with one - black hair at the back, ghastly purply red scrunched candy floss on the top.

Please, no more.

mozette Thu 14-Jul-11 14:45:53

ahhhh this calls for the return of Insette hairspray!

I remember that hairdo well - along with the BIG fringe which stuck right up smile

Oh anyone remember boys with spikes on the top and a permed mullet at the back?

BupcakesandCunting Thu 14-Jul-11 14:47:50

A backperm! All the boys at my school went wild for backperms.

In 1989, I had a dreadful fetching corkscrew perm, with a coke-can fringe. I looked gawjuss.

Pineapple head should not return.

Empusa Thu 14-Jul-11 14:48:07

I had hair like that! To be fair, I was about 10 at the time. grin

Really hope it isn't coming back, but so many hideous 90's fashion are back "in" again I wouldn't be surprised!

Although I am slightly disturbed to know there is now a lot of kids who didn't live through the 90's. I feel old!

mozette Thu 14-Jul-11 14:50:14

Yes, we are giving our ages away here with all this hairdo reminiscing!

Pineapple head isn't really back is it!?

It will make a change from whatever's going on with the girls at the local school though. They have started to back comb one side of their hair for a big, bouffy look but grip the other side down flat to their heads. I bit like that woman on the boots advert with the mirror. Then they have a fringe in a kind of quiff and cover their faces in orange and pink stuff with big black panda eyes.

It has the effect of looking like an insane geisha elvis fan. Pineapple heads will be a change.

Fleurdebleurgh Thu 14-Jul-11 15:29:59

Nawww sad I quite like the pineapple.

superv1xen Thu 14-Jul-11 15:34:07

haha i had this style

but even worse, it was as a teen in the 90's shock

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Thu 14-Jul-11 16:07:24

I thought this thread would be about Carmen Miranda; thankfully I discovered my error before I raided the fruitbowl and arranged the contents artfully on my head.

<samba's off in search of a banana or two>

MoonGirl1981 Thu 14-Jul-11 16:09:27

I thought you were talking about the babies you see with a teeny bunch of hair tied up on the top of their heads.

Looks absured. Why do parents do it?

My own personal bugbear.

What you describe in your OP sounds equally disturbing!

JanMorrow Thu 14-Jul-11 16:15:09

I used to make my own scrunchies <dreams of those halcyon days>

SpecialFriedRice Thu 14-Jul-11 16:20:43

YABU

Pinapple head is a totally valid hairstyle for when I'm in the shower and don't need to wash my hair. And I use a scrunchie when in the house too! shock

Although, being serious I wouldn't step foot outside with pineapple head, or even a scrunchie. I did it once when I forgot I was wearing it though - Burned with shame!

Scrunchies - I wish they would make a comeback!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now