Talk

Advanced search

Airplanes and reclining seats

(337 Posts)
MrsCampbellBlack Thu 14-Jul-11 11:29:03

So on flight with infant daughter on lap and woman in front keeps reclining her seat leaving us with very little space to even breathe. Not surprisingly DD gets a little ahem upset and screams loudly - god so loudly! Woman in front does lots of tutting.

Stewards asked her to put seat up but she reclines it as soon as they go away.

So am I mad to think she was being incredibly inconsiderate or is it just part and parcel of plane travel.

Other passengers utterly charming and Airplane staff agreed she was a nightmare but nothing they could do.

M0naLisa Thu 14-Jul-11 11:32:03

This happened to me and DH on a flight to Tenerife in 2006. The girl in front kept reclining her seat, but DH was sat behind her, he had no room for his knees and legs without her reclinging. In the end he pushed her chair up and dug his knees into the back of the chair so she couldnt do it no more.

inconsiderate little cow.

worraliberty Thu 14-Jul-11 11:32:59

Why was she a nightmare?

She might have had back or muscle problems.

Really it's the airline's fault for providing reclining seats with not enough room to recline them.

BupcakesandCunting Thu 14-Jul-11 11:35:22

OH you are NOT being unreasonable.

I had it to and from Corfu the other week. I just never do it myself. It doesn't make enough of a difference in terms of comfort when you do recline so what's the point in making the person behind you miserable just because you can?

If you are not in first/business class and you recline your seat on a plane, then you are a fully paid-up member of the twunt brigade. Oh yes you are, matey.

backpassage Thu 14-Jul-11 11:36:15

I would expect to be able to recline my seat on a flight. It's very uncomfortable to sit in the upright version for any length of time. I would expect the airline to provide somewhere you could sit where your baby could fit on your lap if you had to have more space.

NewTeacher Thu 14-Jul-11 11:36:43

I see why it was frustrating for you, so there YANBU.

However the recline is there on the seat to be used so YABU.

IMO they should not have a recline facility as it does make space really tight. So Im with you on the YANBU!!!!

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 14-Jul-11 11:38:07

It was only a 3 hour flight and she didn't even lean back - sat upright reading a magazine.

And it was a nightmare because daughter on lap in small space is hard enough without seat reclined back in your faces.

I knew though that some people would think she was reasonable smile

squeakytoy Thu 14-Jul-11 11:38:08

She wasnt really being unreasonable. An upright seat is really uncomfortable, and why should she not be able to recline her own seat.

And as for your "DH" Mona, I would have turned round and told him to fuck off to be quite honest.

If someone is tall, and needs more leg room, then pay for extra leg room.

chippy47 Thu 14-Jul-11 11:38:55

Mona -she paid for a seat that reclines. If your DH is so tall he cannot fit in a normal seat then he needs to pay for a premium seat or speak to the airline when booking to get an emergency exit seat. Most airlines offer seats with extra room these days. He should not expect the person in front not to recline their seat (as the person in front of them has usually reclined theirs).
You do not recline when having food etc but at other times it is a free for all -if you do not like it then that is just unlucky.

hermionestranger Thu 14-Jul-11 11:40:24

My DH had a lady reclining her seat onto his knees last year. She rang the callbell and complained that DH was nightmare passenger and refusing to allow her to recline the seat. Cabin crew were lovely, moved DH to exit and gave him two beers as an apology! grin

So no, YANBU.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 14-Jul-11 11:40:54

Oh the woman if front of me had the extra leg room as was next to the doors.

I do think that on short flights the reclining option is a bit mad - and it was mid day.

Was also a bmi flight which apparently has slightly more room than easyjet etc.

And loving the fact that if you're tall you should pay for business class - good job I'm only 5ft.

Psammead Thu 14-Jul-11 11:40:58

People who recline seats on airplanes go on My List. Especially on flights of less than three hours or so.

Yes, people sometimes have back problems, but others have knee problems which means it's important to stretch out a little.

worraliberty Thu 14-Jul-11 11:41:19

I'm not saying she's 'reasonable' but I certainly don't think she's unreasonable either or a nightmare.

I doubt very much she did it just to make you and your baby uncomfortable.

Regardless of how long the flight is, the airline shouldn't provide reclining seats if they don't want people to recline them..or they should at least have provided you with a suitable seat..ie in the front row with no seat in front of you.

share Thu 14-Jul-11 11:42:07

YANBU YANBU YANBU people who use the recline are inconsiderate and there is no need for it. It's stupid having seats that recline in such confined spaces.

chippy47 Thu 14-Jul-11 11:42:58

MrsCB -these days premium seats are available for extra room and come nowhere near business class prices.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 14-Jul-11 11:43:31

Worraliberty - seriously if you were on a flight and the person behind you had a baby on their lap would you recline your seat - taking into account it was a fairly short flight in the middle of the day?

I just never would and would just think it was thoughtless and inconsiderate but common courtesy is lacking very much amongst people on planes I think - so many people just think of themselves.

Meglet Thu 14-Jul-11 11:43:37

YANBU.

I have never reclined my seat on a plane. It shit when someone does in front of you.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 14-Jul-11 11:44:58

But chippy - I do still think its a bit unfair to expect people to pay more simply because they're tall.

I agree that the seats shouldn't recline on short flights - just unnecessary really.

Psammead Thu 14-Jul-11 11:45:31

worral maybe it differs from airline to airline, but as far as I know if you have a baby on your lap you are not allowed to be seated in an emergency exit aisle.

oohjarWhatsit Thu 14-Jul-11 11:45:33

seriously if you were on a flight and the person behind you had a baby on their lap would you recline your seat -

absolutely i would

i have paid for a seat that reclines, who or what is behind me is beyond my control

maybe you should have paid for another seat for the kid

mind you, this is why i always always upgrade (less sqwalking kids for one thing)

Kladdkaka Thu 14-Jul-11 11:45:45

I don't think it's unreasonable for you to not want it reclined. I don't think it's unreasonable for her to want it reclined.

I do think it was unreasonable of her to ignore instructions from the cabin crew. They should have opened the door and made her get off. grin

squeakytoy Thu 14-Jul-11 11:46:13

It may be a daytime flight, but that person could have been up since 3am before travelling to get to the airport, and wants to sleep during the flight.

You can get extra legroom seats for about £15 extra if you need them, and most holiday flights dont even have a business class section.

If I am sat in a seat that reclines, I expect to be able to recline it if I wish.

worraliberty Thu 14-Jul-11 11:46:23

Personally no I wouldn't.

But then I'm 5ft 3" and a size 10 with no back or muscle aches.

For all you know, this lady might have 'needed' to.

Anyway, if it's a problem for you, you can pay a bit extra and book a front row seat.

Quenelle Thu 14-Jul-11 11:46:31

I agree with backpassage but as you presumably won't have paid for your DD to travel the airline won't make any concessions.

We had the same flying with DS this year. He was a week short of 2 years old and is tall for his age. It's a nightmare isn't it?

Yes the woman in front had the right to recline her seat but if the air stewards had asked her not to it must have been obvious to her that was making things uncomfortable for you and your DD.

Quenelle Thu 14-Jul-11 11:47:48

Psammead is correct. You can't have kids under a certain age in those seats at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now