Talk

Advanced search

to not want a Street Snooker board in our park by our house????

(12 Posts)
CocktailQueen Wed 13-Jul-11 22:47:23

Our local council has just written to let us know they are considering erecting a Street Snooker board in the park next door to my house.

Have googled it and it is a huge vertical board with all the coloured balls from a snooker table: you kick/throw/aim balls at all the coloured balls in turn, as in a snooker break, red then all the colours - to see what score you get. AIBU?

What age kids would this attract?? Would it help their 'sharing, turn taking and counting' skills (as it says on the website) or would it just lead to loads of loud banging and shouting/shrieking at all hours of day and night as kids/teens/drunken adults aim wildly at the board, not any special colour ball??????

We already have a cricket pitch, footie pitches, 2 playparks and 3 tennis courts in the park beside us btw. Would be v interested to hear if anyone has one of these snooker thingies in a park by them and, if so, who uses it and how noisy/quiet/obtrusive they are!

It's good that the council has some money to spend, but are they spending it in the right place??

Thanks smile

randommoment Wed 13-Jul-11 22:56:22

I'm amazed your council has money to spend on anything. Ours seems only able to afford to pay the Chief executive about twice as much as the prime minister...

It sounds like it would draw the same crowd as a skateboard park. Which our town council (slightly more sensible than the county one) sited right in the middle of the rec, well away from any houses. The teenagers too young to get away with getting into the pub will hang out by it, but they probably won't spend too much time there unless there's lots of benches and the police don't wander past regularly. Our local teenagers use the under 12's playground as a hangout once the small children are in bed, do yours?

CocktailQueen Wed 13-Jul-11 23:08:57

Hi Random,
Am also amazed at council money - hmm, perhaps they'd like to collect our bins every week then?? Maybe not...

We also have a skateboard park about 8 mins walk away. Dunno how well it's used after say 6pm but it's well used in the day.

The park right by us is an under 8s one and it gets used a lot by older kids at night. ;-) This is usually ok unless there's loads of screaming or sounds of breaking glass ;-)

bubblesincoffee Wed 13-Jul-11 23:31:17

YABU

You are lucky that your council are doing things like that for local children.

suzikettles Wed 13-Jul-11 23:34:55

Our council were planning to put in water fountains that children could activate by jumping on them. Apparently there's some in Barcelona that are great (and presumably some council bod spotted on a "fact finding mission").

Until someone - I suspect more like several dozen people - pointed out that this was the West of Scotland not Barcelona so the weather would be such that they could be used as intended about 1 day out of every 5 years, and that the money could possibly be better spent doing up the derelict swing park.

AuntiePickleBottom Wed 13-Jul-11 23:42:19

yabu, my local park gate has a big chain and padlock with a notice do not enter as the park floor is damaged and they can't afford to get it fixed sad

Bloody hell, wish we had a park like that envy

I understand your concerns tho, but still envy

SheCutOffTheirTails Wed 13-Jul-11 23:48:42

Those water fountains for children's parks are fab.

Arf at having one in Scotland grin

worraliberty Wed 13-Jul-11 23:49:59

It sounds wonderful!

I expect it would attract older kids and that's a good thing since if they're not into skating, there's not much for them to do really.

I don't really see your problem. If the park is used by older kids at night anyway, this won't exactly attract any more of them or make them any noisier. It's not exactly the sort of game they can play in the dark.

Jude89 Thu 14-Jul-11 10:15:47

Unless its going to be against one of the walls of your house I think you will be fine

sparky12345 Thu 14-Jul-11 11:28:37

fancy a houseswap op?
sod the kids-id be in there myself!

MonaLotte Thu 14-Jul-11 13:13:39

You could end up with lots of balls being kicked into your garden. Did they say where it is being positioned?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now