Talk

Advanced search

Fisher Price Record Player as Christening present

(23 Posts)
StagnantRabbit Wed 13-Jul-11 20:54:22

Basically I am a (non-religious) God-Mother to one of my oldest friends babies. Delighted to be asked so have been looking for the right present for ages, can't think what to get, and am not massively into all the traditional-type pressies eg silverware (tankard etc). I suddenly saw that the FP Record Player has had a re-birth, as with a lot of 'classic' FP toys and I loved it is a kid, I'm sure my friend had one too. I'm so tempted as a slightly alternative pressie, to symbolise the fact that I am probably an 'alternative' God-Mother. Good idea or not? (slight problem... I think it says not suitable for children under 3... but then again, is a tankard?) Also, any suggestions for other 'alternative' presents if you think this is a bad choice....

thestringpeople Wed 13-Jul-11 20:54:59

Great choice!

PonceyMcPonce Wed 13-Jul-11 20:55:25

Sounds fab

onebigchocolatemess Wed 13-Jul-11 20:55:49

love it! My sister had one and took it to Uni with her....! Genius!

pinkhebe Wed 13-Jul-11 20:57:06

I bought some nice - not too childish- bookends and some special russian dolls. Not sure about the record player, but you know the parents

squeakytoy Wed 13-Jul-11 20:57:56

It sounds great, but does it have small easily breakable, or chewable parts which would mean it is unsuitable for a small child to play with?

TableVamp Wed 13-Jul-11 20:58:32

My 8m old loves his!

WakeUpRosemary Wed 13-Jul-11 20:59:10

I am giving a beautiful hardback book of fairy tales plus 12 paperback story books suitable for very small children.The record player will be useless now,will have about 18-24 months play value then will be at bottom of toy cupboard.If the baby is a boy a brio train will have more play value and for a girl a super rag doll [or vice versa] grin

Panzee Wed 13-Jul-11 20:59:42

I love the idea. As grateful as I was for anything for my son on his Christening, there's only so much pewter and other things you have to dust that you can take. grin

And I'm going to get one now!

Rosemallow Wed 13-Jul-11 21:01:34

Love it! Can I ask where you found it as I'd love one for the DCs smile

PaisleyLeaf Wed 13-Jul-11 21:01:41

I got really excited when I just read this - even wondering if my 6 year old DD would really be too old for one.
But having just looked them up I don't think I would bother - they're not the same. I would miss that musicalboxness of it - the winding it up and seeing the bumps on the record hit the music box.

scrappydappydoo Wed 13-Jul-11 21:02:08

Maybe you could get him that as a 'now' pressie and maybe choose something more keepsakey as well - non-religious people gave my dds classic books like Peter Pan or nice money boxes

TrinaLuciusMalfoy Wed 13-Jul-11 21:04:44

I loved mine. When I had DD mum dug it out and now DD loves it too grin

I wouldn't worry about the age range - I always think it's better to have things to grow into rather than grow out of. And the record player doesn't have swallowable parts so no concern there.

StagnantRabbit Wed 13-Jul-11 21:05:55

Rose I've seen them on Amazon altho theyre currently not in stock. Seem to be a few websites that have them tho.
Paisley... what website did you look at and how did they seem to differ? Is there no winding up this time? I know FP toys are never quite as they were...

DimplesOHara Wed 13-Jul-11 21:07:53

Ooh sounds like a lovely present. We're having DD christened in aug and everyones been asking what to get as there will be a lot of more traditional/older blush family members who will get the tankards,scroll holders etc.
Fab idea smile

PaisleyLeaf Wed 13-Jul-11 21:08:28

the review here

It's a battery toy with a memory chip sad

FrozenChocolate Wed 13-Jul-11 21:09:20

Just seen a review of this on amazon and it is not like the original, it is digital and needs batteries apparently. So don't get it thinking it will have grooved records!

FrozenChocolate Wed 13-Jul-11 21:10:02

Bugger, too late!

UniS Wed 13-Jul-11 21:10:10

great idea- they are heirlooms. Mine from childhood is syill tinkling along slightly off key and boy likes to play records on it at GPs.

StagnantRabbit Wed 13-Jul-11 21:11:27

Thanks for the review but
Oh no! No wind up?! Memory chip?! what a shame.... still slightly tempted tho - could always provide the batteries....
Thanks tho...

UniS Wed 13-Jul-11 21:11:48

Scratch that- not teh same as teh old ones... disappointing.

PumpkinBones Wed 13-Jul-11 21:36:14

You can get the original old ones on ebay. I'd love one for DS2! He was bought an original 80's fisher price activity centre for his first christmas...lovely nostalgic gift!

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Wed 13-Jul-11 21:43:15

Boo! It needs to be clockwork. Rubbish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now