Talk

Advanced search

DS just brought in a "pet" dead mouse <boak>

(18 Posts)
HowlingBitch Wed 13-Jul-11 18:14:01

We live in a slightly rural area, Lots of fields around. DS (3.11 yo) was playing out in the back garden and has just brought me in a dead mouse in a paper cup. I have tried not to freak out and sterilized him thoroughly (My DS not the mouse!) but now me keeps asking for "Windylot" the mouse and wants to feed him cheese. <shudders>

What do I do?! Do I tell him he's dead and therefore have to explain death to a 3 yo? Or pretend he ran away?

Poor little mouse sad. Poor bloody me. HELP!

tabulahrasa Wed 13-Jul-11 18:18:09

Tell him Windylot had to go home, his wife and baby mice were waiting for their dinner.

I've only worried about the ctas bringing in dead mice, it never occurrred to me that the children might, lol

ClaimedByMe Wed 13-Jul-11 18:18:16

Haha! We have cats and multiple dead mice per day, ive never had to explain so i have no idea what to tell him!

Poor windylot!

EveryonesJealousOfWeasleys Wed 13-Jul-11 18:22:58

Was it a bit like this OP? grin

FWIW I think that is really cute of your DS

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Wed 13-Jul-11 18:25:39

Poor Windylot may be in shock - have you tried mouth to mouth resuscitation? grin

AliGregoryTheAllegory Wed 13-Jul-11 18:30:04

I think windylots mummy and daddy were missing him too much for him to stay and play.....

DogsBestFriend Wed 13-Jul-11 18:39:44

I have cats who do this, thank god my children didn't. I've picked up all manner of live mice and rats, plus shrews, voles, hedgehogs, seagulls, rabbits, taken in various stray dogs but dead things I Do Not Do!

I recall passing a poor dead baby fox at the side of the road many years ago. DD2 was in a pushchair so couldn't have been more than 2. She knew that Mummy was in the habit of saving stray and injured amimals so I guess she thought I could help this one.

"Put him in a box, Mummy, put him in a box. Mummy make him better."

I had to explain that he'd gone to sleep forever because he was too poorly to stay alive with us. sad

DD1, a year older, had already learned this. That happened when she found one of our goldfish floating on his side at the top of the tank.

Pressing her palms together and resting her head on them, angel stylee, she told me, "ooooh look, Mummy, fish is sleeping!".

HowlingBitch Wed 13-Jul-11 18:44:54

shock At the squirrel video! Eek!

I'm afraid he was dead on arrival. Poor thing. There's nothing I could of done. <Holby city doctor look>

Oh well I've told him that Windylot cannot sleep all day that he had to go back home for his dinner. DP is home now and is being told all about Windylot and his adventures. His problem now! <sits back with a cuppa>. Thanks everyone, That could of went horribly wrong.

purplepidjincantatem Wed 13-Jul-11 18:47:49

DNephew (3.10) has a lovely habit of picking up slugs and saying "look, isn't it sweet?" so I feel your pain OP grin

He had a gentle introduction to death when we lost our cat, but is now thrilled because he has a pet rabbit - who just happens to live with Aunty Pidj and Uncle PidjDP by the seaside hmm

MumblingRagDoll Wed 13-Jul-11 18:48:09

Oh how cute. Windylot! grin Back in the 70s when we were kids, my cousin killed found a shrew which unfortunately kicked the bucket when she trod on it's nose as she chased it around the garden.

She was devestated and carried it about in a shoe box for a week. Gently rotting.

Her Mum was too traumatised to look inside! grin

Be grateful that DS handed his booty over!

HowlingBitch Wed 13-Jul-11 18:51:10

This is the very reason I don't have a cat even though I love them! I don't mind live things either I spent my youth hiding all manner of injured animals in my room and nursing them back to health. It's when they show up already dead that kinda freaks me out for some reason.

DS is so into exploring at the moment. He picks up anything nature related and asks every question possible about it. I guess it was only a matter of time before something like this happened! Ergh.

So sad about the baby fox sad.

purplepidjincantatem Wed 13-Jul-11 18:55:57

It must be a not-quite-four-year-old boy thing, Howling. I'm now wondering if you are actually my SIL hmm

Took DNeph out for the day to a car show, packed him into the car at 6am in his jimjams. Had a wonderful time, lots of cars, icecreams, treats, fuss from all the grown ups (friends of ours), etc. Get home and SIL asks if he's had a nice time.

"Uncle PidjDP killed a pigeon"

One flew into the windscreen on the way there...

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Wed 13-Jul-11 19:00:03

lol, love the messages re Windylot going back to his family, much beter than trying to explin he is dead{grin]

HowlingBitch Wed 13-Jul-11 19:01:26

"Uncle PidjDP killed a pigeon" grin grin!

We would never hear the end of it! My mum tells me it's karma for all the animal related trouble I caused her growing up! I tend to sympathise abit with my poor old mum now. Especially today!

ScatterChasse Wed 13-Jul-11 19:05:46

Aww, but perhaps a little word that mice (dead or alive) prefer to live outside?

Did you mean 'mouse-to-mouth' resuscitation izzy? grin

lalabaloo Wed 13-Jul-11 19:20:47

Aww Scatter I was just about to crack that joke! RIP Windylot!

purplepidjincantatem Wed 13-Jul-11 19:22:36

Yes, we're storing it up in family legend for his 18th. I'll have lots more stories to tell soon, he's coming to stay in the school holidays shock

izzywhizzyletsgetbusy Wed 13-Jul-11 19:29:25

Laughs at Scatter's comment - why didn't I think of that? envy

RIP little Windylot, indeed lalabaloo sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now