Talk

Advanced search

or does anyone else wonder who can actually afford to go to all these festivals?

(87 Posts)
jeckadeck Wed 13-Jul-11 16:59:32

since these "boutique" festivals pioneered by the Big Chill/Bestival etc became the rage: they seem basically to be targeted at a very small section of well off middle class London types and I can't imagine that there's enough demand to sustain them all. I've just looked on lastminute.com and most of them are going for well over a hundred quid. Really? I'm not on an especially low income and I just wouldn't spend that sort of money on one (with the possible exception of glasto): for not much more you could go on an amazing holiday. Am I missing the point/being a stick in the mud, or is there something a bit emperors' new clothes about them all, especially given the state of the economy? And are a lot of them going to end up getting closed down? Because I sort of feel like the world's gone a bit mad....

squeakytoy Wed 13-Jul-11 17:01:12

YANBU at all..

I wanted to go to the London Food Festival that was on recently until I found out that it was about £25 for a basic ticket, and for that you got to walk around but not even try any samples..

anothermum92 Wed 13-Jul-11 17:34:25

Message withdrawn

southeasthamster Wed 13-Jul-11 17:36:12

my student mate can't afford to go to any now and she used to go to them all the time. at least in my day we had gigs in relatively small venues which were amazing, now venues are far too big.

bet someone will start illegal raves again

SortingHardHat Wed 13-Jul-11 17:36:39

Since I was a teen I've always found the funds and time to attend at least one music festival a year, this year is my first without being able to go to any sad

They are simply far too expensive. Apparently Reading and Leeds still have tickets for sale. They can't give them away.

issynoko Wed 13-Jul-11 17:37:31

Lots of people still have lots of money. Our business is booming but am too busy to go to any festivals.

jeckadeck Wed 13-Jul-11 17:38:05

but that's just it anothermum92 they are teeming with people with kids -- and a lot of them are actually targeted at people with kids. I just find it bizarre: can't imagine the kids like it that much and can't imagine the childless people who want to get pissed and whatever love it. It just seems a really weird phenomenon. I'm excluding some of the big ones like Glastonbury/Reading etc, but a lot of them have very few acts, everything is hideously overpriced and they seem designed to wring money out of rich/credulous people. But maybe I'm just being cynical....

SortingHardHat Wed 13-Jul-11 17:39:17

Have to say I hate tripping over children at music festivals, I go for a child free, care free weekend of good music and schtuff.

Tortington Wed 13-Jul-11 17:40:22

im going to one for my 40th birthday yay - so super special occasions only - never been before prolly wont be able to afford to again

southeasthamster Wed 13-Jul-11 17:40:31

and they put them hideous headphones on their poor babies - probably think they look supercool rather than twats wink

thursday Wed 13-Jul-11 17:42:45

do you think it's the bands charging more? they don't really make megabucks out of selling their music anymore so they exploit people who are willing to see them live. x 50 bands at a festival makes high ticket prices.

no one goes at gun point, if they're just being sold it as part of a lifestyle well more fool them. but maybe they're just the only people who cans till afford to go.

SortingHardHat Wed 13-Jul-11 17:44:37

If you think about it though a festival is in a way good value for money. When you think one band can charge up to £90 a ticket for a gig and a 3 day festival will cost you around £200 at which you can see as many bands as your legs will trawl you round the fields for. Doesn't stop it being overpriced though! Cost of living and all that.

Still have to laugh whenever I spot a buggy parked next to a mosh pit grin

JanMorrow Wed 13-Jul-11 17:55:33

We were going to go to glasto (sans le bebe) this year (not missed one in years) but I got knocked up again.. but when the kids are older, we will deffo take them to festivals. It's our holiday and much more fun than a week in the majorca or something. That's just how we roll.. and we're by no means rich.

Tchootnika Wed 13-Jul-11 18:00:42

jeckadeck - I think your assessment of the current festival 'scene' is pretty spot on, but... from my (v limited) experience of festivals in the last few years, I can see how they have become money spinners as never before, particularly for families, and why quite a few people now choose to do a couple of festivals as a family, rather than going away on holiday.
They are massively sanitised in almost every respect compared to what they were like a couple of decades ago, but in terms of 'entertainment', they do a good job of ticking all boxes (theoretically at least).
So... you can now:
- entertain your kids (specific child-orientated activities - some of them really good);
- wander around between music/theatre/authors' readings/a spot of ballet... you get the picture (I think it's this sort of diversifying that's really led to their blossomig)

For all I know (and this wouldn't surprise me at all), you can probably do cooking workshops with a range of TV chefs after you've done all the above, taken part in live Radio 4 show, had beauty treatments, etc...

Oh yes, and if you've got truly appalling taste in music, you can dance along to naff 80s 1-hit-wonders until the small hours and pretend you're being ironic, in the 'Guilty Pleasures' tent.

All a tad tragic, IMO, but fun for all the family, dontcha see?

maypole1 Wed 13-Jul-11 18:04:38

single middle aged people with no kids

people with grown up kids

kids whose parents spoil them

rich people with kids

rich people with out kids

people with kids who dont give a shit and would rather spemd money on themselves

but most of all not me or my oh gurrr we are none of these

Tchootnika Wed 13-Jul-11 18:07:09

thursday - I think you're right, too...
Probably a LOT to do with musicians having to do live performances now. (What's it called? Live Nation?)

LaWeasleyAintWeaselyAnymore Wed 13-Jul-11 18:10:34

My friends (early twenties, no kids) go to one festival a year instead of going on holiday.

Except one particular friend of mine who still lives at home, so sometimes he goes to one or two and a (cheapy lads) holiday as well.

I always reckon there are more rich people than you'd expect though! Plus it depends on what you prioritise, festival lovers would probably go without a lot to still be able to go.

gramercy Wed 13-Jul-11 18:12:37

dh mentioned to me yesterday that he'd read that Michael Eavis says that Glastonbury only has a few years left in it. Many festivals thhis year have not sold out; the festival scene has become tired.

Wish I could second-guess the next big thing and make a billion.

HengshanRoad Wed 13-Jul-11 18:17:21

Some people aren't skint and actually have money to spend on stuff like that.

SortingHardHat Wed 13-Jul-11 18:20:58

I think the future is all about intimate live acoustic gigs.

peeriebear Wed 13-Jul-11 18:27:47

DH and I went to Download festival because I've been with friends on and off since 2005; he really wanted to go and we had an offer for child-and dog-minding for the whole four days from some lovely childless friends. The money had been saved up in advance and no, we didn't 'not give a shit and spend money on ourselves instead of the kids' what a stupid thing to say!! They had four days of being spoilt, baking cupcakes, having picnics, watching new DVDs and generally being indulged.

SortingHardHat Wed 13-Jul-11 18:31:37

envy very very jealous perriebear very jealous envy

lubberlich Wed 13-Jul-11 18:50:46

I can't imagine why anyone does Glastonbury anymore. Horrible corporate populist junkets they have all become.
When the fucking Rooneys descend from the clouds in a helicopter and designer wellies you KNOW we are not in the golden age of festivals.
I have friends performing at Lat this year but just can't be arsed to queue for loos and step over pissed-up 18 year olds and cough up nearly £200 for a ticket. I have always found the dyed sheep disturbing anyway.

upahill Wed 13-Jul-11 18:57:31

I don't think the music festivals are badly priced tbh.

AliGregoryTheAllegory Wed 13-Jul-11 18:57:50

i am going to the Shrewsbury folk festival - i'm very excited - but i am a volunteer so i didn't have to pay....no way i could have afforded it otherwise - £130 for two nights camping shock - if it's good i might take the family next year and do it properly...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now