Talk

Advanced search

to be fucked off with noisy neighbours?

(37 Posts)
MsTeak Wed 13-Jul-11 15:16:18

I live in a house in a courtyard setting, so lots of houses backing on to each other with shared communal areas. Most own, but a few renters, and two of these are absoloutely awful...anti-social rule breakers who have no care for anyone else.
One house, every single time there is a hint of sunshine, they open all doors and windows and pump out terrible music at the volume of your average night-club. This means that no-one else can enjoy sitting outside, or even being in their own homes with a window open, such is the volume of this music, its impossible to get away from. I have my own radio on now louder than I would like just to try and drown it out, the combination is giving me a headache.
I politely asked them previously to turn it down when they woke my sleeping baby up (for like the 10th time) and was told that they "can do what they fucking like its a free country" followed by some swearing and threats to "sort me out". Charming.
So WIBU to stand under their window and scream "shut up cunt-bags" on the basis that I can also do what I like if its a free country?

<disclaimer, most of us are perfectly nice polite people who feed each others cats etc, not actually Shameless types although I may sound itsmile>

WhereYouLeftIt Wed 13-Jul-11 15:22:20

Can you contact their landlord? (YANBU, btw, and i quite like the idea of screaming under their windows wink.)

LilBB Wed 13-Jul-11 15:26:15

Contact their landlord. They will have something in their tenancy agreement about not being a nuisance to neighbours. So by breaking it the landlord could evict them. A good landlord would do this, or not renew the tenancy. However I've had problems with a neighbour who rented and her landlord is even rougher than her and never did anything about it.

JanMorrow Wed 13-Jul-11 15:27:17

I'd contact the landlord and make a noise complaint.. and then environmental health or whoever it is that deals with noise pollution.

MsTeak Wed 13-Jul-11 15:31:33

Landlord seems to think that as long as its not all night, we shouldn't have a problem with it, and won't do anything. He's not a pro-landlord and hasn't a notion. Might go and shout under his window too? grin

Tanif Wed 13-Jul-11 15:35:25

Although I don't think YABU to ask them to turn the noise down... Noise laws are quite specific and people have to be tolerant of noise made between 7am and 11pm.

All I can suggest is continuing to reasonably request they keep it down and, should it fall between 11pm-7am, report report report to your local enviromental officer/their landlord. Hopefully you'll wear them down eventually. As to threats of violence, I would contact the police immediately, after all, it may be a 'free country' but we're not free to threaten and intimidate others as we choose.

hoolabombshell Wed 13-Jul-11 15:37:37

Oh gawd, you don't live anywhere near me do you grin? We've got your neighbours x 10 all around us - the minute the sun comes out it's tracksuit tops off, blaring dance music, barbecues and drunken singing. Makes me want to go out with a shotgun sometimes, really it does.

You don't need to put up with their abuse either, the scumbags, especially if they keep waking your poor baby. Definitely make a complaint, either that or walk past their windows with a blaring boombox once they're sleeping off their hangovers. I feel for you.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Wed 13-Jul-11 15:38:53

Pass round the number of the landlord and encourage them to call him/her every time they are noisy, as well as calling environmental health at the same time.

Tillyminto Wed 13-Jul-11 15:40:00

It may be worth keeping a diary of events including times of the music, length of time it's playing and, of course their reactions (violent or otherwise). It might be a useful piece of "evidence" if the sh*t hits the fan.

Do your other neighbours have similar problems with them and have they approached them about the noise?

dreamingbohemian Wed 13-Jul-11 15:43:58

Keep a diary to note every time they make too much noise and any interactions you have with them about it.

Do contact your local noise complaint people for advice.

It's true you have to tolerate some noise during the day, but not extreme levels of noise. We once had some neighbours blasting music at 6 pm (to the point it drowned out conversation indoors), our other neighbour reported them and someone came out to deal with it.

You should really try to report it to their landlord, not yours, if you can find out who it is?

MsTeak Wed 13-Jul-11 15:47:10

a lot of the other neighbours are out at work during the day (oddly enough no-one in these 2 houses seems to have a job) and many are intimidated by them so are wary of complaining. Due to the way things are here (ireland) with the housing market we have had a long stream of awful tenants and people are worn down with it. You complain and monitor and no-one gives a bollocks.

LRDTheFeministNutcase Wed 13-Jul-11 15:49:19

Ring the police on the non-emergency line. They shouldn't mind - very nice police near our old house were at pains to tell us this sort of thing is their job (though I'm sure they'd be pissed off at the landlord not doing his job, too).

manticlimactic Wed 13-Jul-11 16:07:21

If the LL thinks that then ring the local noise nuisance line. They make a record of every complaint (so get other to do the same) and usually they will contact the landlord.

anothermum92 Wed 13-Jul-11 16:55:52

Message withdrawn

Kladdkaka Wed 13-Jul-11 18:03:06

Ring the council and ask to speak to the noise abatement officer. There are rules about acceptable levels of noise all day round. There was a case a while back of a neighbour playing the same song over and over again. It wasn't even particularly loud, but she got prosecuted because she was driving her neighbours insane with it.

Tortington Wed 13-Jul-11 18:10:55

these threads always baffle me - i dont understand how people dont know who to phone

www.environmental-protection.org.uk/noise/environmental-noise/noise-pollution

your council will have a webpage like this

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/WhereYouLive/NoiseNuisanceAndLitter/DG_10029682 direct gov info

Tortington Wed 13-Jul-11 18:11:18

direct gov

MsTeak Thu 14-Jul-11 22:35:37

well thanks Custardo but you might not be so baffled if you had read the thread and noticed that I'm not in the UK and so your link is not very useful to me.

Here the council tell you to contact the landlord, or report to the PRTB, who will give you a date 18 months from now for a hearing which even if you win nothing happens anway.

FreePeaceSweet Thu 14-Jul-11 22:53:05

OP let them have their summer. In winter when everyone is snuggled up indoors hold impromptu naked sauna/hot tub parties in the snow. Encourage your guests to have snowball fights, make snow angels and get the males to write rude messages to your neighbours with a stream of urine in the snow. Serve mulled wine by the gallon. When the inevitable complaints arrive make sure you tell them that they can get payback in the summer. In the meantime shut their curtains.

Kladdkaka Fri 15-Jul-11 09:47:35

Sorry MsTeak, I didn't notice you weren't in the UK either.

Kladdkaka Fri 15-Jul-11 09:51:54

I've pulled up this document for you which explains what you have to do to deal with noise nuisance if you live in Ireland:

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/Environment/Miscellaneous/FileDownLoad,1319,en.pdf

Hope that helps.

echt Fri 15-Jul-11 10:13:41

MsTeak, before you get up in custardos' grille, if you're posting about a problem in Ireland, or Eire as I hear it's called, you should say so in your first post.

I am in Oz, and wouldn't dream of calling on the UK for such info, or in such a manner as yours.

LineRunner Fri 15-Jul-11 10:20:13

Call the gardai.

MsTeak Fri 15-Jul-11 10:37:56

Well echt, since you'll note this is AIBU and not legal matters or some such, the likelihood that I was asking for any actual concrete advice is slim to none. hmm

Also, its not called Eire unless you can speak Irish.

I have no idea what "getting up in someones grille" means. Is it some kind of trailer-park talk?

robingood19 Fri 15-Jul-11 10:53:16

Neighbour noise in one of the biggest untold stories. Especially in flats and terraced house.

sayinmgs. An irish bloke introduced me to "Do you think he should wind his neck in?" love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now