Talk

Advanced search

to find it sad only 3 parents showed up

(241 Posts)
biddysmama Wed 13-Jul-11 14:35:53

ds's school has an informal coffee afternoon for the kids with sen/ld so their parents can go in and see who will be working with their child and what they are doing/have done, they have things for younger kids to do aswell so you can talk and they tell parents how they are doing and what action atc being taken..... i went to it yesterday and out of 30 kids 3 parents went sad

i know not everyone can make it but i know some of the parents dont work (inc my neighbour who was definately at home)

their little faces as they came into the room and no one was there for them and my crazy pregnant lady hormones made me want to cry sad

aliceliddell Wed 13-Jul-11 14:39:58

sad miserable gits. Hope they get better at life in general soon.

ddubsgirl Wed 13-Jul-11 14:40:10

sad

dickiedavisthunderthighs Wed 13-Jul-11 14:41:02

That's absurd. Do you think that maybe there was a miscommunication? I can't believe so few parents would give a shit sad

HeadfirstForHalos Wed 13-Jul-11 14:41:31

Haha! That beats our last SN coffee morning! There was just the 2 of us sat therewith 6 proffessionals who had driven to the school to give advice, the SENCO and the head. Well on the bright side we did get plenty of attention but I agree it is sad. I knew of at least a dozen that didn't work and there was lots of notice.

itisnearlysummer Wed 13-Jul-11 14:41:37

YANBU. I hate looking at the little faces of the children as they come into the room all expectantly looking round for someone who isn't there.

Working parents shouldn't feel guilty, but those sitting at home watching Home and Away should be ashamed of themselves!

I'd assume most parents would jump at the chance of this. I would!

biddysmama Wed 13-Jul-11 14:43:02

the kids made the invitations them selves, i know ds1 was very excited to show me his and stuck it to the fridge smile

MotherofallDragons Wed 13-Jul-11 14:43:21

how utterly shit sad

knitpicker Wed 13-Jul-11 14:43:36

Sounds to me like the school could have organised it better. As we all know most parents are far from indifferent about their children's education and would make a huge effort to be there is there if there was any chance of interaction with teachers and not just a meet the pther parents type affair.

TubbyDuffs Wed 13-Jul-11 14:44:23

Good God, I'm welling up, and I'm not even pregnant!

HeadfirstForHalos Wed 13-Jul-11 14:47:20

I've been doing a weekly course at school too called SEAL, judging from the parents asked to attend it appears to be aimed at children with SN (2 of mine have ASD), LD and general behaviour and confidence issues.

We spend time as a group discussing strategies and then the children come in and we do related tasks with them (more fun than it sounds smile).

The same 3 parents keep not turning up and every week their dc look miserable and have to join in with the other families. Some people just don't care.

LineRunner Wed 13-Jul-11 14:49:38

We had a 'meet the new Head' event. There were 12 of us parents. Out of 1500.

My two are at a SN school and sadly it's the same old faces that turn up time and time again, my heart was breaking when I went to see the signing choir (my kids aren't even in it ) and a boy at the front was signing his little heart out, scanning the front, looking out for his dad.

Same with the parents group, signing group etc. Me and around 8 diehard parents / grandparents, the christmas play is about the only thing that's packed out (thank god)

I have noticed that when dd was at mainstream school, the things there were much better attended, parents eemed more interested in general tbh. I wouldn't say this is the norm, but I have noticed it over the years.

GeekCool Wed 13-Jul-11 14:55:02

Oh that makes me sad sad

papermate Wed 13-Jul-11 14:55:23

We had something similar last week, 10 out of 16 turned up, I know 3 work full-time, have no idea where the other 3 were.

I can kind of understand the parents points of view. My own kids aren't special needs, but much as I love them, I have to force myself to go to all their myriad school shows, award ceremonies, carol services blah-blah-blah... I don't get any pleasure out of such events or the required socializing with other parents. I know the kids are proud of their achievements and so I make the effort or at least make sure one parent is there in the audience to take photos and wave appropriately, but it is a chore to me. I imagine if my kids were special needs and required more constant attention then the few hours they are in school would be very valuable down time and a coffee morning might well seem that much more of a chore. Sad that the kids were disappointed, but surely the teachers are aware that these things are unpopular and could have saved the children the disappointment...

papermate Wed 13-Jul-11 14:57:07

Oh this is just for reception take, not sen etc.

biddysmama Wed 13-Jul-11 15:01:18

this was their chance to speak to the support workers that would be working with them next year and to find out what the special needs group have been doing etc i dont see why you wouldnt want to know that?

tabulahrasa Wed 13-Jul-11 15:02:47

' I imagine if my kids were special needs and required more constant attention then the few hours they are in school would be very valuable down time and a coffee morning might well seem that much more of a chore. '

I make more effort for DS because, well, <tries to work out how to put it> everything else about school is so complicated, that it seems more important that wee things like that went well for him...

if that makes sense?

sausagesandmarmelade Wed 13-Jul-11 15:04:52

That's a shame....and I'm pretty surprised that not more parents valued their children's education enough to ensure make more effort to attend.

razzlebathbone Wed 13-Jul-11 15:08:53

Oh God I am almost in tears at my desk.

That is rubbish. angry sad

YANBU

pingu2209 Wed 13-Jul-11 15:10:44

As a mum with a child with SEN I think that is a fab idea of your school. Sad only 3 parents turned up. I would have been there if it was my school.

itsybitsy08 Wed 13-Jul-11 15:20:49

YANBU sad

How awful.

It must also be very disheartening for the teachers as well as disappointing for the poor kids bless them.

And I would think the same regardless of what kind of school it was.

2shoes Wed 13-Jul-11 15:24:56

lovely thread, I do so love to see parents of children with sn judged.
ye t working parents excluded from it.

AuntiePickleBottom Wed 13-Jul-11 15:26:29

yanbu, i hate it when the school have these type of meeting as i am always in work...and yes i do feel very guilty even though there is no way of me taking the time off.

if i was a sahm, i would feel like it was my job to go.

Did it say on the invite...small children welcomed because if it didn't perhaps thats the reason

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now