Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to ask to leave work early to go and see my childs teacher

(25 Posts)
cuteboots Wed 13-Jul-11 13:11:26

I have been asked to go today at 5.40 to discuss his sat results? Sounds quite important and I only got told about it last night i.e letter sent home in the book bag. So I asked my MD who said I need to give more notice? She also seemed reluctant to agree to it based on a lack of people in the office. Am I being silly to get really upset as there are times when there are less people in the office and still people take time off?! Unfortunate with kids you cant always give notice about these things and now Im really angry!!

Meglet Wed 13-Jul-11 13:14:40

yanbu.

MumblingRagDoll Wed 13-Jul-11 13:16:30

Yanbu.

Tell your MD that I told her to piss off. grin

Don't stress...maybe she's having a bad day....forget her.

Sewmuchtodo Wed 13-Jul-11 13:17:44

Explain to your MD that it is almost the end of term and important. Call the school and ask for another appointment or a phone consultation instead (is your desk private enough to do this from?).

My DH is a teacher and has called people from home at night when no other time suited.

fanjobanjowanjo Wed 13-Jul-11 13:19:20

YANBU as it's late enough that it won't really impact on the office anyway, and I would assume it's not a regular occurrence. Forget your boss' issues!

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 13-Jul-11 13:19:32

I would agree with your MD really in that the school should have given you more notice - explain that you work, so cannot make it at the time that they decree convenient, and instead please can you arrange a different time next week (so more notice for your boss) or can you arrange a telephone call to discuss at lunchtime.

ButterflySally Wed 13-Jul-11 13:19:40

YANBU. Assuming you work standard office-ish hours, the appt is right at the end of the day so you won't be taking that much time off which would be easy to make up if needed...

blackeyedsusan Wed 13-Jul-11 13:20:22

ring schoool and ask for an appointment for next week. they should be able to do that. it is very frustrating. ring school and ask them to give more notice in school because working parents have to ask for time off in advance. (and check the book bag every day, things fester in there... for weeks!)

jumpingjackhash Wed 13-Jul-11 13:21:16

I don't see how she can NOT let you go early if it's important - assuming you're able to make up the time / do the work required etc.

However, as a team lead myself, I can see how she might find it frustrating to have things like this drop on her last-minute (you admit yourself there wasn't much notice as you only got the letter last night).

I think it's probably just one of those things you both need to suck up.

Maybe a word with the teacher about giving proper advance notice of meetings / requesting a time which works better for you might help to avoid this problem in the future.

cuteboots Wed 13-Jul-11 13:21:43

Thanks Guys you have all cheered me up! Im probably just getting really upset over nothing but I never take time off and I also have really bad PMT! GRRRRRR.

cjbartlett Wed 13-Jul-11 13:22:24

Could your partner go instead? Is the father in the picture? Apologies if not

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 13-Jul-11 13:24:35

<chucks a huge packets of expensive biscuits at the OP to cheer her up>

cuteboots Wed 13-Jul-11 13:25:37

Jumpingjackhash-Im supposed to start work at 8.45 each day but Im here at about 8.15 just to cover stuff like this really . In hindsight shes under a bit of pressure at the mo as weve just brought another company.

bubaluchy Wed 13-Jul-11 13:25:54

your boss sounds really unreasonable

jumpingjackhash Wed 13-Jul-11 13:29:04

In that case I really don't see how she can say no! I'm sure she's just venting in your direction. smile

squeakytoy Wed 13-Jul-11 13:30:27

If there are already other people out of the office, and it would mean leaving the office short staffed, then sorry but your boss is not being unreasonable.

Your child is not her problem.

cuteboots Wed 13-Jul-11 13:31:19

On any other day Id rise above it but today Im either going to cry or eat lots of chocolate ! hee hee

jumpingjackhash Wed 13-Jul-11 13:34:00

Chocolate is usually the better option!

cuteboots Wed 13-Jul-11 13:37:26

squeakytoy- Omg are you my boss do you use mumsnet! HEE HEE

cuteboots Wed 13-Jul-11 13:40:15

cjbartlett- Yes his dad is on the scene but he works even further away then me and cant get back in time unfortunately

Pendeen Wed 13-Jul-11 13:50:20

Being dim here? Can't get to the acronyms page - what does "MD" mean?

bubaluchy Wed 13-Jul-11 13:54:02

is it managing director?

Loie159 Wed 13-Jul-11 13:56:20

How long will it take you to get from work to school? How much earlier would you need to leave? if you have to go today cna you speak to your boss and see if you could make the time up tomorrow? I understand you need to see them but presumably the school know you work so could you call them? If they were willing to meet you at 5.40 could then do it 10-15 mins later (presuming to can leave work on time and get there?) failing that can you rescheulde next week adn book the time in with your boss?

jenniec79 Wed 13-Jul-11 13:56:23

Sounds like the teacher IBU to me. How can she expect any working parent to be able to drop things during the working day with less than 24 hours notice? I have to give 6 weeks! Does she drop the class early when it suits her/ does she expect to be able to? Ring the head and say how innapropriate this is.

WhoAteMySnickers Wed 13-Jul-11 14:01:32

YABU. Your anger should be directed at the school for giving you so little notice. Phone the school and ask for a more convenient appointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now