Talk

Advanced search

to expect people to reply to an invitation

(11 Posts)
DrCoconut Wed 13-Jul-11 12:54:33

Especially as there will be catering involved (this should be apparent from the content of the invites). I'm not expecting anything hand calligraphed on gold trimmed paper, just a straightforward text or email to say "count us in" or "sorry can't make it" would be fine! Do I assume people aren't coming if I don't hear from them? Then watch them turn up anyway probably.

worraliberty Wed 13-Jul-11 12:55:49

How long ago did you send them and when is the event?

melika Wed 13-Jul-11 12:57:39

How long ago did you send them? It would be acceptable to leave it two weeks to have all the replies in. Depends how far in advance the event is because of holidays etc.

YANBU, in this day of technology when we can text and email too.

WhoAteMySnickers Wed 13-Jul-11 12:59:01

YANBU. It's simple good manners to respond either way to an invitation, whether there will be catering involved or not.

MilyP Wed 13-Jul-11 13:00:12

Did you ask them to RSVP? And give them an email address and phone no if that is how you expect them to respond? If so then YANBU.

Not sure what to do if you don't get many responses though. Would imagine some people who have not replied will turn up. But if you are paying for catering you don't really want to have to guess how many for.

Could you send a reminder email or something to ask people if they are coming?

BeauBelles Wed 13-Jul-11 13:01:44

when is the function?

When did the invites go out?

Have you asked for rsvp?

But yanbu in expecting a response

DrCoconut Wed 13-Jul-11 14:42:01

It's DS's Christening. I sent the invites so that there was a month between receipt and the RSVP date, which itself is 10 days ahead of the Christening. I have given address, tel and email so all 3 methods are available for people to use. Most of them also have my mobile no and some have facebook too. Maybe people forget if there is too much time, but we did not want to leave it too late, especially for people who live further away and may need to plan travel.

Taghain Wed 13-Jul-11 15:18:22

YANBU, but people are forgetful.
You'll have to go around ringing or mailing people, & explain why you need to know. It's a pain, btt there it is

psiloveyou Wed 13-Jul-11 16:26:54

YANBU it is very rude. My foster ds had his first ever birthday party a few weeks ago. I don't know the mums at his school so asked a teacher to give the invitations out. We invited 8 children to a pre-paid soft play type place at a cost of £10 per child. Only two turned up. He was so upset and I wasted £60. I was livid. Same child went to a party last week. Mum had invited 12 and only 3 turned up.
Could you text a reminder or put something on your facebook.

JanMorrow Wed 13-Jul-11 16:43:09

<hastily replies to christening invite>

northerngirl41 Wed 13-Jul-11 16:55:08

Useless people!! This happens to us all the time and it's simply rude... Especially my family where it's a given that they'll all turn up but not one of them will RSVP "because you know we're coming" - well actually no I didn't BECAUSE I'M NOT TELEPATHIC!!!

Very rude YANBU - send a reminder and make sure you have burly bouncers to kick out those who didn't RSVP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now