Talk

Advanced search

WIBU - Just now at supermarket

(59 Posts)
BunnyLebowski Wed 13-Jul-11 12:47:19

Took DD to the supermarket. Approached the trolley bay and saw there was 1 elderly lady putting her pound in for a half-trolley and another lady waiting.

DD and I stand behind second lady and wait our turn. As the lady turns to go another woman walks straight past us and pushes in front to get the next trolley. Now I realise I could have smiled benignly and waited our turn but she clearly saw us and why is her time more important than ours? So I said 'Excuse me, what exactly do you think we're standing here waiting for?' and stepped in front of her and got the next trolley.

Her: 'I didn't fucking see yer. Chill out'

Me: I'm perfectly chilled out thank you. I just have no tolerance for people with no manners or breeding. And nice language in front of a 3 year old.

We walked away and into the supermarket.

5 mins later while perusing the pink ladies I felt a sudden and painful whack to the back. The crazy moose had only rammed her shopping trolley into me on purpose shock and then strode away.

I hung back, rang DP and asked him to persuade me not to fashion a shiv out of the pen in my handbag and continued shopping. Didn't see her again.

I now have a big old bruise on my upper arsecheek. Too early for wine?

So what's the verdict? Was I unreasonable to point out her rudeness?

fanjobanjowanjo Wed 13-Jul-11 12:49:19

Fuck no you aren't! You should see if the supermarket can help you with CCTV of the incident and report it to the police - that's assault.

fanjobanjowanjo Wed 13-Jul-11 12:49:41

And take a pic of your bruise!

sausagesandmarmelade Wed 13-Jul-11 12:49:45

No you were not unreasonable......

I'd maybe have 'accidentally' shoved her trolley right back at her....but I know that in the heat of the moment you were probably too stunned to do that.

ChaosTrulyReigns Wed 13-Jul-11 12:50:56

No, YANBU.

But I'm waiting for "AIBU to have accidently rammed my trolley into some toffeenosed caah at the supermarket today?"

Did she look like a MNer?

grin

worraliberty Wed 13-Jul-11 12:51:28

You came across as right up your own arse I'm afraid.

All you had to say was "Sorry, there's a queue" and then take the trolly.

bubaluchy Wed 13-Jul-11 12:51:36

yeah then put the story in one of those trashy magazines that are always in DRs waiting rooms and you could win £200 worth of vouchers! wink

feistychickfightingthebull Wed 13-Jul-11 12:51:48

Ywnbu, what a dozy cow she is..sorry you got injured, that sort of behaviour is shocking

ChaosTrulyReigns Wed 13-Jul-11 12:51:55

an

an

An

An

An

AN

blush

throckenholt Wed 13-Jul-11 12:51:58

trolley rage - dangerous stuff smile

Have you got any arnica cream ?

ILoveSaturdays Wed 13-Jul-11 12:52:23

YABU. I'd have been tempted to give you a painful whack for this statement alone. 'I just have no tolerance for people with no manners or breeding.'
Her being rude doesn't give you the right to be so rude back.
FWIW I wouldn't have given you a painful whack, just tempted.

southeasthamster Wed 13-Jul-11 12:52:45

oh dear, though i think probably you referring to her breeding didn't help your case

Beamur Wed 13-Jul-11 12:53:13

Ouch.
You weren't unreasonable per se, but maybe a touch arsey? grin No excuse for ram raiding with a trolley though.
This is why people hang back from confronting bad behaviour though isn't it? The kind of person who is rude and selfish is also likely to tun a bit nasty if challenged.

ChaosTrulyReigns Wed 13-Jul-11 12:53:36

Oh shit - That looked as though I've judged you as a TNC.

I don't - I think you was quaite polite and justified.

I was just putting myself into caahracter.

<<digs self out of hole>>

HowlingBitch Wed 13-Jul-11 12:55:43

YANBU to point out her rudeness. YABU to bring up breeding. hmm

limitedperiodonly Wed 13-Jul-11 12:57:23

I take it you weren't in Waitrose

Ormirian Wed 13-Jul-11 12:57:58

" I just have no tolerance for people with no manners or breeding!"

Well I suspect that alone justified the trolley rage incident grin

Ormirian Wed 13-Jul-11 12:58:24

In fact may I say I think you might have been a little rude

BunnyLebowski Wed 13-Jul-11 12:59:12

I'm not deliberately confrontational but when provoked will not hesitate to call down obnoxious and rude behaviour. I spoke to her calmly but forcefully.

My comment about her manners and breeding was a direct reaction to her foul language in front of a child. And it's a common saying in Ireland where I'm from so it's part of my vocabulary - obviously it's not a common one over here smile.

I don't care if I sounded supercilious or up my own arse. If I'd meekly said there's a queue' she probably wouldn't have listened and would have pushed in anyway.

LittleMissFlustered Wed 13-Jul-11 12:59:15

If the woman had been brought up better, she would have had the manners to not jump the chuffing queue. Breeding in question without doubt.

Malcontentinthemiddle Wed 13-Jul-11 12:59:33

I didn't think you were until I saw the word 'breeding'.

I'd've whacked your arse for that I think.

Birdsgottafly Wed 13-Jul-11 13:00:10

'Excuse me, what exactly do you think we're standing here waiting for?'

She was probably fumming at not replying 'Christmas, judging by how slow you are being'.

'No manners or breeding' again i would have answered, 'only dogs breed', looked at your 3 year old and added 'oh i see you have bred, well done'

Try to sound less pompous.

You did well not to react to her knocking into you, though.

YANBU, I'd have done the same. Unless she looked well 'ard. Then I'd have been a coward and kept my trap shut.

worraliberty Wed 13-Jul-11 13:03:22

Even in Ireland that would be confrontational and up your own arse.

She wouldn't have been able to push in if you'd just stood in front of her, grabbed the trolley and said "sorry there's a queue"

Her breeding has nothing to do with it and you both sound like you need to chill the fuck out...it's only a trolley.

HowlingBitch Wed 13-Jul-11 13:04:57

Come now. No one talks about breeding any more! Unless you are a dog breeder... Or Catherine de Bourgh. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now