Talk

Advanced search

To be feeling a bit stupid after taking DD to the doc

(75 Posts)
HollyFP Wed 13-Jul-11 11:52:15

Took DD (almost a year old) to the doc this morning as she's had diarrhoea for a few days, I thought due to teething.
Doc asked if I'd cut out all solids - I haven't and didn't realise this was standard procedure for diarrhoea. I had just offered food that I thought wouldn't cause more upset, eg toast. The Doc looked aghast even at that!

I had done some research as to what would help but nowhere I saw the suggestion to cut out all solids until the problem clears.

Does everyone else know this and am I being stupid? confused <prepares to be told yes>

thursday Wed 13-Jul-11 11:55:02

i don't think you're being stupid. i think its how it goes with taking babies to the doc. you're never sure if you're overreacting and wasting their time or you should have taken them in ages ago and are actually neglectful. bah. don't feel bad, you did some research and then took her to the doc, nothing stupid there. i don't remember being told to stop solids when DS had D&V for ages and we went, but maybe because he refused all food anyway.

AmberLeaf Wed 13-Jul-11 11:55:42

Well i know it [and did the first time i needed to know] but that was only because my mum told me! if she hadnt i wouldnt have known.

Dont feel stupid, parenting is a learning curve. Next time you will know.

Hope your DD is better soon.

gallicgirl Wed 13-Jul-11 11:56:50

hmm wouldn't immediately occur to me, but thinking back to when I was a kid and was poorly, my gran wouldn't let me eat anything and even made me drink boiled water.

So on the basis that I wouldn't have thought of it either, YANBU!

(stores info for future)

YoungMotherTubby Wed 13-Jul-11 11:56:51

I've 5 kids and never heard of this. Certainly give them fluids to keep them hydrated and I usually give them whatever they fancy as at that time they're feeling poorly and not feeling like eating anyway.

Definitely would not starve them.

porpoisefull Wed 13-Jul-11 11:58:12

I don't think you are being stupid - with DS I'd go by what he wants, the couple of times he's had a tummy upset - just water if that's all he wants, or milk, or toast or whatever if he seems to want that. As long as you're keeping her hydrated her system will surely get over it in its own time.

EmmalinaC Wed 13-Jul-11 11:58:22

Eh? I have never heard that before! Maybe I am doing it wrong too?!

I have always Followed the BRAT plan when the DDs have the runs: Banana, Rice, Apple, Toast but maybe the advice is different of your LO is under a year?

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 13-Jul-11 11:58:25

I knew about the solids thing. But I'm sure there was a time in my life when I didn't know about it and had to be advised, same as you were. You'll find out something else you didn't know about next week. You'd only have cause to feel embarrassed if you'd had the information and either ignored or forgotten it.

mummynoseynora Wed 13-Jul-11 12:00:06

I rang NHS direct about DS projectile vomiting (allergic reaction) once earlier in the year, and they said all the advice about starving for d&v has now changed and they now say to let them eat if they want to?!

worraliberty Wed 13-Jul-11 12:00:08

We were always told to cut out milk, give cooled boiled water and an arrow root biscuit (42 and feeling ancient now) blush

StayingNearlyHeadlessNicksGirl Wed 13-Jul-11 12:02:23

I used to be a nurse, and 'clear fluids only' is pretty standard advice for someone with diarrhoea. You do this for 24 hours to see if this gives whatever's causing the diarrhoea time to get out of the person's system, then reintroduce solids (and then, yes, you give them something that won't upset their stomach - dry toast etc, nothing too rich), and see if the diarrhoea recurrs.

However, even as a trained nurse, I would be a bit reluctant to do this for a baby under 1 year old, without first checking with a doctor, so OP, I don't think you were that stupid, actually.

HollyFP Wed 13-Jul-11 12:05:43

Doc said her stomach lining will be upset (or whatever the medical term is) so solids will just aggravate the problem (acids etc especially banana).
I also used the BRAT plan...now have no idea what to give her [ confused more than ever]

Poweredbypepsi Wed 13-Jul-11 12:12:12

I would not have known this either I thought if a person felt like eating they could eat. You are not stupid smile

AnneWiddecomesArse Wed 13-Jul-11 12:16:23

There's not(I doubt) a parent alive that hasn't made a mistake. When my DD had diarhoea with teething I would give her Dioralyte to keep her hydrated and then after 24 hours, I would give banana, rice with breast milk etc. No dairy other than my own. No fruit apart from bananas beause of the acid.
If she wasn't eating by noon the following day I would rush her to the doctor, insisting on an appointment.
Stupid is when you don't react and worry.
Hope baby is better soon.

ihatecbeebies Wed 13-Jul-11 12:16:38

Ive never heard of this either.

pozzled Wed 13-Jul-11 12:18:19

So is this advice just for diarhoea, as opposed to a d&v bug? I have phoned NHS Direct in the past about d&v bugs and been told that it's fine for DD to keep eating if she wants to, just to give plenty of fluids as well.

SmethwickBelle Wed 13-Jul-11 12:18:35

I don't think you're mad, I certainly wouldn't normally stop feeding my child if they had diarrhoea - vomiting - yes, just because it would probably come straight back up so I would go to water only in that instance, but as long as they were hungry I'd be offering them something simple like toast, egg, or porridge or chicken and rice.

Well, I know with diarohhea you are supposed to starve the bug for 24 hours but if you need to eat have something like toast but prob wouldnt have done that for a baby....course you;re not silly going to docs, our babies are the most precious things ever.......

HollyFP Wed 13-Jul-11 12:22:59

I just can't help thinking I've made it worse by feeding her solids for the 5 days she's had it sad
Am reassured slightly that not many people have heard of this either though!

MsTeak Wed 13-Jul-11 12:26:18

If I'd denied solids to my second child whenever he had diorrhea he would have starved to death long ago, probably the third too. I've never heard such a thing and have never had it suggested by a doctor, not even when they were in hospital.

piratecat Wed 13-Jul-11 12:27:10

i have never heard of this either.

yanbu

some docs are ego maniacs

Jacksterbear Wed 13-Jul-11 12:30:51

YANBU, I've never been told this either confused.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 13-Jul-11 12:32:00

I'll be honest... since toddler days, if DS had diarrhoea he'd get 1/8 of the contents of an Immodium capsule mixed with his drink. Works like a charm. Hasn't died either. smile

Jacksterbear Wed 13-Jul-11 12:32:19

Or should I say YABU to feel stupid cos you're not... you know what I mean!

HollyFP Wed 13-Jul-11 12:33:00

Wow ok maybe I'm not BU then grin

DD is properly eating solids, has been for ages, so it's going to be tricky trying to distract her when she's whining for food. I think I'll try the advice for 24 hours anyway and see if it helps.

I was totally prepared for a grilling wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now