Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed about people who claim to live/be from London

(262 Posts)
Happydogsaddog Wed 13-Jul-11 10:43:43

People who claim to live/be from London really get my back up. You don't have a London postcode, dialling code, hell it doesn't even say London in your address. AIBU or should I just ignore these people who try to boost their profile to the uninitiated?

knittedbreast Wed 13-Jul-11 10:44:45

i used to know this guy fron slough who maintained he was a londoner.

slough is not london. you knob

mumblechum2 Wed 13-Jul-11 10:45:26

Why would anyone pretend to live in London if they don't?

squeakytoy Wed 13-Jul-11 10:45:49

I dont have a London postcode, or London in my address, but I do live within walking distance of the London Undergroud, London buses, and plenty of other "London" facilities. smile

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 13-Jul-11 10:46:16

How is it a boost exactly? There are some beautiful parts in London and some very ugly parts... the same as everywhere else in the world. smile

... although they DO have Jo Malone there. hmm

frillyflower Wed 13-Jul-11 10:47:03

Is being from London such a valuable thing then? interested as from London and wonders if that makes me attractive or something

Happydogsaddog Wed 13-Jul-11 10:48:15

* knitted* they have Slough news stories on London Tonight ffs its not in London!!!!!!

Well, I'd be one of those people. I have a Kent dialling code and a Kent postcode, and it doesn't say London anywhere in my address (it says Kent, funnily enough,) but the borough I live in is a Greater London borough. It USED to be Kent, administratively, but it changed in the 60s, I think. So I say I live in London, because, to all intents and purposes I do.

GiddyPickle Wed 13-Jul-11 10:50:05

Not all of the London Boroughs have London postcodes or London dialling codes but they are still part of London.
Why does it matter anyway? I don't see how living in London, or pretending to, would boost anyone's profile

oohjarWhatsit Wed 13-Jul-11 10:50:31

some parts of London I would positively be ashamed to say I lived, so you are being pretty daft OP

EverythingInMiniature Wed 13-Jul-11 10:50:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Me neither, Giddy. Unless you've got a dock-off house in Mayfair, rather than a poky little cottage in the suburbs.

EverythingInMiniature Wed 13-Jul-11 10:51:41

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 13-Jul-11 10:52:18

I live in London.... well not really, I was born there, but my heart is there.... it stretches all the way across the Severn Bridge. I shall start using a London postcode and hope for the best with my mail. grin

But, Everything, technically, she does. Kingston's an Outer London borough. I guess since London's expanded, it's swallowed up lots of places that didn't used to be London. I mean, Streatham used to be Surrey...

triskaidekaphile Wed 13-Jul-11 10:54:09

Why would having a London address boost someone's profile? [baffled]

microfight Wed 13-Jul-11 10:54:25

Well if i lived in Slough i would probably say I lived elsewhere grin

GiddyPickle Wed 13-Jul-11 10:55:36

I have a friend there too and Kingston is in South West London. If anything happens there, it is described on the local (London) news as being in South West London. Information on the town says that it is in South West London.

"Kingston upon Thames is the principal settlement of the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames in southwest London. It was the ancient market town where......."

It pays council tax contributions to the Mayor of London because, all boroughs in London have to contribute to this.
It isn't central London obviously but it is London.

Happydogsaddog Wed 13-Jul-11 10:55:41

I don't know about a good thing, alot of my friends claim to live in London for no apparent reason yet when I started college in Herts and said I lived in Tottenham absolute shithole in North London they were impressed

ShirleyKnot Wed 13-Jul-11 10:57:15

I live in New York.

squeakytoy Wed 13-Jul-11 10:57:37

Kingston is Surrey too.

mumblechum2 Wed 13-Jul-11 10:57:58

You don't have to live in London to get London Tonight.

WE're two hours outside London in the Chilterns, go in as rarely as possible and have no interest whatsoever in gangland murders, robberies and the rest of the London news.

TragicallyHip Wed 13-Jul-11 10:59:00

It really doesn't worry me that much!

How does it boost someones profile? confused

Morloth Wed 13-Jul-11 10:59:24

I thought everything inside the M25 was London and everything else was full of invisible vampire ghosts?

rubyrubyruby Wed 13-Jul-11 10:59:26

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now