Talk

Advanced search

To really not get this advert

(52 Posts)
KittyBump Tue 12-Jul-11 21:00:27

it's the Walls' sausages one with the tiny dog inside a ring box (?) I just don't understand. What does it mean and why would it make me want to buy sausages? confused

SortingHardHat Tue 12-Jul-11 21:01:25

The old ad was a dog that barked "walls"

Mumcentreplus Tue 12-Jul-11 21:06:46

LOL...it's about a man expressing his deep heartfelt love and respect for a woman through dog and small electric piano...the dog says what he can't 'apparently'..mummy-bear smile

makeyourmindup Tue 12-Jul-11 21:06:56

I don't get it either. There's another one - it involves the little mini-dog too. I always say to DH that I don't get it and why would I want to buy sausages. He says it's funny, hmm .

Actually it freaks me out. I don't get it and I don't like it.

Is there meant to be a connection to the old advert? don't remember it so doesn't help me get it.

KittyBump Tue 12-Jul-11 21:10:23

mymu that's exactly how I feel about it! It makes me uneasy, is the dog in a ring box?

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Tue 12-Jul-11 21:12:15

lol I dont get it either

I always find it funny that I hate adverts but it really bugs me when I dont 'get' what they are trying to do grin

ratspeaker Tue 12-Jul-11 21:15:39

I like the wee dog
Sausages freak me out though

ihatecbeebies Tue 12-Jul-11 21:23:13

not all adverts are specifically designed to generate sales, in most cases television adverts are to raise the awareness of the brand, so a strange advert with a confusing wee dog stands out from the clutter to make you remember it.

KittyBump Tue 12-Jul-11 21:33:55

ihatecbeebies that makes more sense. It has obviously worked on me then!

rubyrubyruby Tue 12-Jul-11 21:36:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Tue 12-Jul-11 21:41:42

It's so crap and naff though! Plus the "he's a bloke and can't really say it" or whatever, really irritates me. To the extent where I would drive my fist into his "lovestruck" face.

Advert has definitely achieved in catching my attention, but then I'm one of those pedantic people who will actively not buy a product whose advert has irritated me.

Also on the blacklist are:
Kenco Millicano for that twattish woman going on about the vintage push bike her husband bought her. "It's just...so elegant!" Also, we buy any car...for obvious reasons. Also.... hmm... any advert that goes on about the best for YOUR FAMILY... YOUR FAMILY NEEDS THIS PRODUCT...... Actually, I am my family. Just me. And you're alienating me and all others who live like me with adverts like this...
Oh and at number one on the SHIT advert scale is..... the maltesers adverts. Because us women just LOVE being a little bit "naughty" don't we?! Eating chocolate? How terribly NAUGHTY!!! In fact, make that any advert that makes women look like vapid morons.

I obviously haven;t thought about this much....!!

Nowtspecial Tue 12-Jul-11 21:41:50

It freaks me out too. I don't know why. Shudder.

KittyBump Tue 12-Jul-11 21:45:42

I agree I wouldn't buy the product if I don't like the advert, but I am talking about it so they have achieved something.
butwhy that's how cross adverts make me smile I particularly hate the soda stream one, smug buggers

MynameisnotEarl Tue 12-Jul-11 21:46:52

It is freaky. And I agree 100% with your comments on the Millicano advert, ButWhyIsTheGinGone. Who thought that utter shite one up?

I love 'webuyanycar...webuyanycar..'

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Tue 12-Jul-11 21:49:38

Ha, Myname, you just would LOVE to see a big lorry drive past her on her elegant push bike in the rain and soak her, wouldn't you? Gin hopes she is not coming across as slightly unhinged!

Kitty - totally agree about the sodastream one - MYYYY MUMMY'TH got only ONE bottle of fithy.... AND THRITY TWO FLAVOURTH!

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Tue 12-Jul-11 21:50:11

Though I REALLY do want a Sodastream after remembering the one my granny had in my youth!

wildfig Tue 12-Jul-11 21:51:07

Activia chose the ideal 'face' for their sloppy yoghurt, because Martine McCutcheon gives me a stomach ache every time her smugtastic ad comes on. I will forever now associate her with sluggish bowel transit.

IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Tue 12-Jul-11 21:52:12

I don't get why the little meerkats are singing "compare the market ruined our town" and then "compare the Market makes us proud"

I may be being thick but if anyone can explain that one I'd be grateful grin

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Tue 12-Jul-11 21:55:47

"Sluggish bowel transit" - love it! They are deeply smug, though, aren't they?

Oh hang on, got another one. The weird-faced girl whose flatmates have pinched her galaxy who goes off to find her hidden stash. Don't like that one either. Don't like the way she puts she chocolate into her mouth at the end then her face lights up in ecstacy before she's even chewed it!

Think the Meerkats makers are just desperately trying to eke out that marketability.... would say it's had it's day though, surely?!

kingbeat23 Tue 12-Jul-11 21:57:00

butwhy are you my dopplerganger? :D

HadAThreesomeWithFredAndGeorge Tue 12-Jul-11 21:57:22

Oh god yes that frigging millicano advert.

Your bike ain't even vintage love, looks like it came from Halfords.

kingbeat23 Tue 12-Jul-11 21:58:18

SEE, SEE <<excitedly nods head in agreement>> I am forever shouting at the t.v. after the galaxy advert "SHE HAS A FUCKING EATING DISORDER IF SHE'S HIDING CHOCOLATE UNDER THE BED!!!"

discobeaver Tue 12-Jul-11 21:58:59

I love that little dog in a box. Love his twitchy ears and stupid voice. So much so that when I say thankyou to people I want to adopt the voice and accent.
The garage one is my favourite.
I also loved the " we only use the two best bits" ad for Walls sausages, where it had the baby boy being born, and then leaving home 18 years later.

KittyBump Tue 12-Jul-11 21:59:40

drink I think they are saying frown, not proud.

Soda stream ad.... MMM COLA, no wonder my friends call her a yummy mummy! Noooooooooo so very wrong!

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Tue 12-Jul-11 22:01:03

Oh I feel like I'm not alone any more. The awful thing about living alone is whenever you shout at the TV you look doubly deranged....
For those of you who like a good advert, I quite like this one. Banned, sadly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDgrnP-f8VY

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now