I bid on an ebay item, then the seller offered to pull the auction for a price to guarantee I got the item. I tried to contact them at the arranged time (this morning) to collect and hand over the cash. They weren't contactable so I used to time to do some more research. I have now found a much better deal at a similar price for a better item.
The seller has got in contact this evening.
Would I be a horrible evil bitch to say, actually I've changed my mind? It's not convenient for me to go another day this week, I'd have to rearrange other plans - which is why I said I'd collect today.
to those saying she is being unreasonable... we all know that the seller is breaking ebay rules by using ebay to do a private sale anyway! it's a risk you take if you decide to sell privately rather than adding a BIN or letting the auction run
OP has been messed about and if the seller had stuck to the agreement they'd have both been happy now.
she didn't, she'll relist the item if it has been pulled and that's taht.
Yes, they pulled the auction on the basis of our off-ebay negotiation.
Yes, it's my fault for researching further, but I'm stuck on the sofa with a chest infection so it passed the time. And I thought the seller had changed their mind when I rang the number this morning and the person I spoke to had no idea what I was rambling about!
They offered to end early. I was going to take my chances on winning or not, depending on other interest. It just so happened that they are about 40 miles away from me and liked the idea of cash on collection.
Argh! Waiting for DP to get home because I'm too scared to return the phone call! The item really is overpriced compared with others I've seen (more features, warranty, similar price)
You have no obligation to buy it. eBay discourage off line negotiations so if they seller withdrew the auction then they've broken eBay's rules. You don't even have to buy it at the price you bid because they've withdrawn the auction.
Just write them an e-mail saying 'yoo no longer want to complete the transaction as you would prefere to have some kind of come back if something goes wrong with the item, explain that you were in a rush to buy and did not think it through', appoligise lots and hope they are fine about it (theres not really much they can do). Next time don't rush into buying .
You are both breaking e-bay rules by doing what you have done anyway. So although YABU to back out of the deal, your seller was also being unreasonable to mess you around.
TBH I would be more worried about the fact that you have no protection if anything goes wrong. Reputable dealers do not cancel auctions. You mention warrrenties & features, is it the type of item that you can be sure is OK before you handover your money ?
Surely though, if the seller wasn't in when you phoned, you can use that against her ie. you thought she'd changed her mind or you thought that you'd been conned when you spoke to someone who knew nothing about it.
Or that you had to have the item today and when she wasn't in as arranged you panicked and went and bought the item elsewhere.
Or just say to her "if you're going to rip me off you could at least have had the decency to be in when you said you would"
I'm ignoring my phone <bitch> but it really isn't convenient to collect now until the end of next week because of my shifts! Which is why I said today. The seller doesn't appear to have that problem...
If they'd taken the phone call when we arranged, I'd have picked it up when i said i would. Except I don't think they emailed me the correct number because the person who answered was ever so bemused!
If it helps, it's a sewing machine and it's to help me get my business off the ground. The ones i found in my unexpected research time today do all kinds of fancy embroidery stitches that I hadn't thought I could afford It's urgent because I'm currently using my grandmothers 1971 Husqvarna Viking and it eats jersey fabric...